Make a donation

Author Topic: Goodyear Asymmetric 2 XL  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Beeps

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Goodyear Asymmetric 2 XL
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 08:22:43 pm »
Wouldn't it be nice if those tyre review sites told you which model of the tyre they were testing - there are two different models of the tyre with different side walls - get it wrong and you have spent a lot of money to get something you were not expecting.

I still cannot decide whether to live with overpressure on the soft walls or go for the XL and hope it doesn't become a bone shaker.

Offline scottm72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 09:43:46 pm »
Wouldn't it be nice if those tyre review sites told you which model of the tyre they were testing - there are two different models of the tyre with different side walls - get it wrong and you have spent a lot of money to get something you were not expecting.

I still cannot decide whether to live with overpressure on the soft walls or go for the XL and hope it doesn't become a bone shaker.
No way i would fit anything but a reinforced tyre,
with reference to what you ask,
overpressure on the sidewalls of a non reinforced tyre would ( although a small percentage ) would increase the possibility of a blowout.
Secondly - if you DID have a blowout, i would rather have it on a tyre with a stronger sidewall as it would decrease the likelyhood of the tyre completelly disintegrating.
I like yourself thought i was going to get a rough ride when i fitted my asym 2 xl (18s) but it was no diff to the miches i had on before which where not xl's.
Also when i changed my summers for 16 inch vredistein snow tyres which are not xl obviouslly i though ah well at least the ride will be softer for the next few months - nope,,, i would actually say it got bumpier  :surprised:
From a safety point of view the xl would be the safer tyre but etto  :happy2:

Offline david25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 03:53:46 pm »

A cheap and quick option would be to look on the filler cap and increase the pressures to the max load figures.

My GTI with 17" should run 91W.

Offline Beeps

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 08:06:27 pm »
Yep David I have done that - even with just me in the car I need 2.6 in the rear to stop it drifting around like a blancmange. If I put it up to 2.5 in the fronts it feels like you are on a knife edge - too little and it rear-wheel steers all over the road, too much and it bone-shakes and feels twitchy. This is me in a straight line on a motorway :driver: It is not a relaxing ride!

I was hoping that somewhere out there there would be someone on 17" wheels who could tell me what the Asym 2 xl (94) were like - the car was designed for 91w tyres, but they do not suit the FSd shocks on standard springs. I suspect the soft sidewalls are stopping the clever valve inside the FSDs from working properly.

Anyone on PS3s? They have a harder sidewall I think