Make a donation

Author Topic: cam follower  (Read 7249 times)

northyracing

cam follower
« on: March 01, 2013, 06:02:47 pm »
i am going to change the cam follower in my 55 plate AXX engined gti, does anyone know the size of the allen/torx on the underside of the fuel pump the banjo bolt

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
Re: cam follower
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 07:01:34 pm »
It's an M8 triple square headed bit. Not to be confused with a torx bit!

Offline GTI-Ross

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:02:58 pm »
dont think its an Allen or Torx, its a triple square and its M8 i think....

(Wonders off to find link)

Yep as i though, M8.

Here is a perfect guide for you: http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/threads/12734-DIY-HPFP-Removal-and-Cam-Follower-Replacement
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Richie_101

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 07:03:37 pm »
I'd be interested to see how much wear is on your old follower after you've swapped it out as I have an AXX engine too with 99k on it, so I really should do mine too.

Or should I? According to some sources, the AXX is the engine code with the hardened follower, and the BWA follower is made out of cheese and other sources say it's vice versa, so who knows. :stupid:

Good luck with it anyway.

Rich.

northyracing

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 07:06:21 pm »
I'd be interested to see how much wear is on your old follower after you've swapped it out as I have an AXX engine too with 99k on it, so I really should do mine too.

Or should I? According to some sources, the AXX is the engine code with the hardened follower, and the BWA follower is made out of cheese and other sources say it's vice versa, so who knows. :stupid:

Rich.
i was informed exactly the same as you was some say the axx engine wasnt a problem and then some say they was the worst ones

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 08:46:54 am »
Its not the follower that is the main problem, but the 'A' version camshaft. The lobe material wasnt hard enough so it wears.  This then wears the follower.

AXX is the most likely to have this A cam fitted. Ive seen a 2007 BWA engine withe the early cam though.  If the follower has worn with a dip, then the cam will need changing too.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:21:11 am »

Rich.
I have recently had the misfortune of having to change the camshaft on my AXX engine as this is the part that is made out of chocolate. Lol the can follower was fine. Please look up my post for pictures of both parts.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,58786.msg672888.html#msg672888
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:23:01 am by micaerin »

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline fransnz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
  • MY GTI
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 05:57:41 pm »
Hi

After reading this am going to change mine this weekend. I ordered one and a o'ring from the dealer today for £41 with postage.
My car has 49k on it and will post some pics of what comes out.
Thanks for the heads up.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 06:30:24 pm »
Changed mine at the weekend - pic below is what came out.

Word of warning though, If you have an 04 - 06 plate, set aside at least an hour as these models like mine has the banjo bolt which to polite is a F*ucking Nightmare to get at and get out, 20 mins it took me to get it out and 15 to get back in. Hope you have the newer model.

Anyways, all done now for another 10,000 - 20,000 miles

MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

northyracing

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 06:59:13 pm »
Changed mine at the weekend - pic below is what came out.

Word of warning though, If you have an 04 - 06 plate, set aside at least an hour as these models like mine has the banjo bolt which to polite is a F*ucking Nightmare to get at and get out, 20 mins it took me to get it out and 15 to get back in. Hope you have the newer model.

Anyways, all done now for another 10,000 - 20,000 miles

i done mine on saturday and looked the same as this really and mine has done about 67k 55 plate axx engine

Offline fransnz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • MY GTI
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 02:13:56 pm »
Hi

Just finishing doing my Cam follower today  :happy2:

49k on the clock and not to bad looking. My engine seams a lot quieter.

Thank you everyone for the advise it made the job so much easier.  :smiley:

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 05:14:30 pm »
did you have the banjo clip one or the easy one. Yeah yours defo needed changing, now you can relax for another 15000 miles at least

Offline ell.s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 09:47:00 pm »
This is mine after covering 57k on my BWA engined k03 gti really not that bad at all considering some you see.

Offline Bradruss

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 11:00:24 pm »
Nice mag

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 09:50:30 pm »
None of them look bad to me??

I bought a cam follower for £23 and its still in the box.... Cars done 59k but after reading a forum member goofing up the fuel line banjo bolt seal whilst trying to replace this item, I've decided to leave it where it is for the time being....

If it ain't broke don't fix it etc! :scared: