Make a donation

Author Topic: Mazda CX5 Buyer beware!  (Read 3043 times)

Offline mhurley

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • 5 door 55 plate metallic grey
Mazda CX5 Buyer beware!
« on: March 01, 2013, 06:24:31 pm »

My missus bought a nearly new Mazda CX5 recently. Diesel 150hp.

Decision made mainly on its amazing claims for fuel economy.

Mazda claim 52 urban 61 combined 68 on a run

Well guess what folks, we average 38.5!

Biggest laugh is when you fill it up to the max the trip computer driving range is only 430 miles

Which when you consider its a 12 gallon tank, that works out at 35.8 mpg!

What a joke

I emailed Mazda and they said

When manufacturers release these figures I am sure you are aware the information is obtained on a rolling road if perfect conditions with computer set driving styles.When used in normal conditions it would be difficult to ever achieve the exact published figures.This is a common procedure utilized the same way by all manufacturers to achieve published figures required by the European union.

"Exact" - I'm getting no where near

So beware folks, dont buy a CX5 for it's alleged fuel consumption!

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Mazda CX5 Buyer beware!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 06:32:20 pm »
I don't know what you're getting at tbh. I'd consider that to be perfectly normal.

My BMW 120d claimed to get 64mpg but never went above 45mpg indicated and actual mpg was around 40.

It's the same with all cars. You can pretty much knock off ~20% of the combined figure and that will give you at idea what you will get in real life based on a mixed driving style and average mileage.

Offline mhurley

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:33:57 pm »
I don't know what you're getting at tbh. I'd consider that to be perfectly normal.

My BMW 120d claimed to get 64mpg but never went above 45mpg indicated and actual mpg was around 40.

It's the same with all cars. You can pretty much knock off ~20% of the combined figure and that will give you at idea what you will get in real life based on a mixed driving style and average mileage.

I can only go with my experience : my golf gti does 32.5 , VW claim 35. That's a small margin of difference. Maybe VW are more accurate with their figures than other manufacturers?

Offline mhurley

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:34:41 pm »

I can only go with my experience : my golf gti does 32.5 , VW claim 35. That's a small margin of difference. Maybe VW are more accurate with their figures than other manufacturers?

Whats the driving range quoted on your trip computer on a full tank out of interest? And how many gallons is the tank?

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 09:30:23 pm »
Usually around 470 miles on my BMW with 55l tank.

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:41:43 pm »
my 120d is doin 47 mpg so not to shabby

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:53:09 pm »
Is your 56 plate or older?

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 10:01:22 pm »
I'm noticing this trend of impossible mpg claims. Missus old cooper 1.6 cooper d claimed 72mpg, never saw above 62 and averaged 45mpg. New mini sd with 2 litre bmw diesel you'd think would be worse. Still running in but averaging 53 overall, 60+ on a run and managed 79 mpg on a leisurely run recently. But... 65mpg is the combined and it's gonna fall 10mpg short by the time it's run in.

Neighbour has just got a ds4 which she is trying to reject as it claims 65mpg and she's doing 30mpg.

The gti however does easy 35mpg and up to 45 if country road driving. After a run when I fill up range can be as much as 490 miles

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 10:09:37 pm »
All these MPG claims are really misleading.  You definitely have to take them with a pinch of salt...
Instead, look at the gross mass of the vehicle, displacement, and if possible gear ratios.  There is only so much "efficient dynamics" and "stop start" shizzle will take you...

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 10:35:31 pm »
Im not surprised as isnt the cx5 a 4x4 style?

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 10:38:42 pm »
To be fair, I don't know if it's the way I drive when conscious of MPG or what, but 75% of the time I get more or less within a couple of MPG the manufacturer claimed MPG figures, particularly urban and combined.

Extra urban it's probably about 5-6 mpg away, but I'm relatively impressed. The figures are only really hit in the warmer months, probably March - October.
I've also hit 600miles in the Audi once, nearly on two other occasions in warmed months. That's within 50 or so miles of the combined figure multiplied by the tank size, ideal world stuff. Again, not bad. That admittedly is trying with economy in mind, but it's possible.

I don't think you can do any real analysis during winter in truth.

Ensure your oil level is good, put the tyres at a sensible PSI, make sure you don't carry a crate of bricks around with you and drive with a steady pedal. I'd imagine you'd get much closer to the manufacturers claimed figures, if within 85% of them at least in any car?
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 10:26:40 am »
Im amazed at some of the mpg figures some people claim they get out of a GTI

I recently drove to Newcastle and back which is about 70 miles each way and averaged about 34mpg. The majority of it is a single lane road with speed cameras so I wasn't speeding by any means

I generally average about 24mpg on the trip computer on short journeys, say 15 miles or so
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 10:32:17 am »
I'm not sure if the later gti engine is better on economy but in my 07 plate yesterday i got 43mpg on my 34 mile jouney back from work and the temperature was around 6-7 degrees outside so i should get better in the summer. Oh and that's with 95ron standard unleaded!
2013 Golf mk7 1.4 tsi SE DSG
2011 Golf mk6 2.0 tdi Match manual (sold)
2007 Golf mk5 GTi manual (sold)

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 08:59:10 pm »

My missus bought a nearly new Mazda CX5 recently. Diesel 150hp.

Decision made mainly on its amazing claims for fuel economy.

Mazda claim 52 urban 61 combined 68 on a run

Well guess what folks, we average 38.5!

Biggest laugh is when you fill it up to the max the trip computer driving range is only 430 miles

Which when you consider its a 12 gallon tank, that works out at 35.8 mpg!

What a joke

I emailed Mazda and they said

When manufacturers release these figures I am sure you are aware the information is obtained on a rolling road if perfect conditions with computer set driving styles.When used in normal conditions it would be difficult to ever achieve the exact published figures.This is a common procedure utilized the same way by all manufacturers to achieve published figures required by the European union.

"Exact" - I'm getting no where near

So beware folks, dont buy a CX5 for it's alleged fuel consumption!

Bit strange that  :surprised: I've been driving a CX-5 Sport nav 150 for the past few months on and off and been getting mid 50's average, I haven't exactly got a light foot (20mpg out of my eddie).

Ok its still not published figures but good enough for me  :star:

Ben

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:00:47 pm by B3n »

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 10:30:45 pm »
Im amazed at some of the mpg figures some people claim they get out of a GTI

I recently drove to Newcastle and back which is about 70 miles each way and averaged about 34mpg. The majority of it is a single lane road with speed cameras so I wasn't speeding by any means

I generally average about 24mpg on the trip computer on short journeys, say 15 miles or so

Yep, Mines normally about 25-26mpg. I've never seen higher than 35.