Make a donation

Author Topic: Ignition coil failure, 2008 GTI  (Read 1043 times)

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Ignition coil failure, 2008 GTI
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:08:57 am »
After having misfire problems last year (under load), and changing the plugs, I had assumed that all would be well for at least another 20k miles. Owning a 2008 model, I was under the impression that my Golf was immune from the issues suffered by <2008 models which result in them getting new coils under warranty.. until last night when on the way home, I put my foot down on the same stretch of road that I do every day, and was met with a loss of power and flashing engine light  :confused: hmm strange I thought, seeing as the plugs had only been in for around 10k..

Anyway long story short, I ended up replacing the coil on cylinder 2 which has solved my problem  :happy2: the nackered coil has no sign of overheating or any sort of damage for that matter, just curious to see if anyone else with a 2008 GTI/Ed30/Pirelli has suffered at the mercy of coil packs?  :popcornsoda:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Ignition coil failure, 2008 GTI
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:16:40 am »
After having misfire problems last year (under load), and changing the plugs, I had assumed that all would be well for at least another 20k miles. Owning a 2008 model, I was under the impression that my Golf was immune from the issues suffered by <2008 models which result in them getting new coils under warranty.. until last night when on the way home, I put my foot down on the same stretch of road that I do every day, and was met with a loss of power and flashing engine light  :confused: hmm strange I thought, seeing as the plugs had only been in for around 10k..

Anyway long story short, I ended up replacing the coil on cylinder 2 which has solved my problem  :happy2: the nackered coil has no sign of overheating or any sort of damage for that matter, just curious to see if anyone else with a 2008 GTI/Ed30/Pirelli has suffered at the mercy of coil packs?  :popcornsoda:

Ive had a couple in mine now  :laugh:

PM for details