Make a donation

Author Topic: Sky Magic Eye  (Read 1488 times)

Offline ashw831

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Sky Magic Eye
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:11:46 pm »
Does any one have any knowledge about sky magic eye units please?

I have got sky+ in my loving room and want to be able to watch it upstairs. I have inherited a unit from a family member (100% working). Done everything required like enabling the rf out put on my sky box, and tested the unit directly and through a lose wire ran up the stairs and in to the TV which is fine, but I want to run it through the plug sockets on the walls to save having to drill walls etc.

I plugged a wire from the sky out put in to the wall socket, connected the end of the cable from downstairs to the one for the bed room, put the unit in the back of my tv with another wire coming out of the wall socket in the bed room, but no LED lighting up on the unit and no signal on my tv.

Is this something to do with running it through the plugs as it needs to be a 9v current and the sockets (presumably) would be 12??

Any help greatly appreciated, I just don't understand why it won't work, I am just using the sockets on the wall instead of adding new wires.

Saintsteve

Re: Sky Magic Eye
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 06:16:23 pm »

I have got sky+ in my loving room and want to be able to watch it upstairs. I have inherited a unit from a family member (100% working). Done everything required like enabling the rf out put on my sky box, and tested the unit directly and through a lose wire ran up the stairs and in to the TV which is fine, but I want to run it through the plug sockets on the walls to save having to drill walls etc.

I plugged a wire from the sky out put in to the wall socket, connected the end of the cable from downstairs to the one for the bed room, put the unit in the back of my tv with another wire coming out of the wall socket in the bed room, but no LED lighting up on the unit and no signal on my tv.

Is this something to do with running it through the plugs as it needs to be a 9v current and the sockets (presumably) would be 12??

Any help greatly appreciated, I just don't understand why it won't work, I am just using the sockets on the wall instead of adding new wires.

You have one of two things wrong, either the cable route your using isn't Direct, or you have insufficient earth on the cable joins.

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 06:16:52 pm »
You need to turn the power out of the sky box to on, there is a way to get into the menu, I will go check!
2013 Golf mk7 1.4 tsi SE DSG
2011 Golf mk6 2.0 tdi Match manual (sold)
2007 Golf mk5 GTi manual (sold)

Offline ashw831

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 06:24:15 pm »

You have one of two things wrong, either the cable route your using isn't Direct, or you have insufficient earth on the cable joins.

How would I diagnose either of those mate??

You need to turn the power out of the sky box to on, there is a way to get into the menu, I will go check!

You mean turn the RF output on in the settings?? If so, I have done that.

Saintsteve

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:24:30 pm »

:confused:

He's said he's enabled the rf2?

Check what I said fella, and it will work  :wink:

But what do I know  :laugh:

I work for BSkYB gazza  :wink:

Offline ashw831

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 06:28:35 pm »

Check what I said fella, and it will work  :wink:

But what do I know  :laugh:

I work for BSkYB gazza  :wink:

How do I check that mate? The cabling is all in the walls, to the TV sockets behind the tv's and the ends of the wires are in the loft..

Saintsteve

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 06:31:26 pm »

How would I diagnose either of those mate??

You mean turn the RF output on in the settings?? If so, I have done that.

Each connection or join that is in the cable needs to have all the earth braid used, and not a single strand of earth touching the copper centre of the cable. The magic eye if it has 13 volts to it will work, anything less , and the remote control won't work as the sky box looks for a pulse from a static 13volts. If you have bad connections or wall face plates that are of the aerial type, then that will be the 1st thing I would remove. they are not suitable for using on tv link as they loose too much voltage, pictures will be clear but you won't get the full 13 volts via them.Either change the face plates for (IF) style screw on connections ( the same way the Satelite cable screws to the sky box)

:happy2:

Saintsteve

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 06:34:36 pm »

How do I check that mate? The cabling is all in the walls, to the TV sockets behind the tv's and the ends of the wires are in the loft..

Like I said the cable needs to be a direct feed, so your need to find the cables in the loft, join them together using IF connectors and barrel to screw them together , basically the cable from the lounge will go up to the loft, so all you need to do is find the cable from the room you want and join them together so it's direct and not split to any other room in between. Your trying avoid a voltage drop. :happy2:

Offline ashw831

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 06:40:56 pm »

Like I said the cable needs to be a direct feed, so your need to find the cables in the loft, join them together using IF connectors and barrel to screw them together , basically the cable from the lounge will go up to the loft, so all you need to do is find the cable from the room you want and join them together so it's direct and not split to any other room in between. Your trying avoid a voltage drop. :happy2:

I have done that.. The cables where split when I used to just use the freeview and they are just beside the loft hatch. I have done an extremely scientific test (put both tv's on freeview and in plugged them one at a time to work out which is for which) put them together and then tried to connect the unit in the socket in my room but no led on it...

Saintsteve

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 06:43:28 pm »
Then I'd remove the faceplate on the wall and join the cables , thus bypassing the circuit board of the wall socket. :happy2:

Offline ashw831

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 07:37:45 pm »
Then I'd remove the faceplate on the wall and join the cables , thus bypassing the circuit board of the wall socket. :happy2:

Awesome.. Will give that a try why I get in, thanks for your help Steve, your a legend!!! :happy2:

Saintsteve

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 07:39:14 pm »

Awesome.. Will give that a try why I get in, thanks for your help Steve, your a legend!!! :happy2:

No probs  :happy2: