Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone driven, owned an Audi A1 TDI?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
Anyone driven, owned an Audi A1 TDI?
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:33:30 pm »
Interested in your thoughts... I know it's a Polo in disguise but family member interested in buying one... that or a Volvo C30 DRIVe.

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
Re: Anyone driven, owned an Audi A1 TDI?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:40:05 pm »
I have had a 1.4 TSI and a 1.6 TDI as courtesy cars, the latter being possibly the lowest spec car Audi does - no trip computer, no auto lights, no MFSW - nothing.
This being the opposite to the former which had loads of options.

They are nice little cars, good quality cabin as you'd expect but in my opinion, very expensive for what they are. However, hold their value well it seems.

I'd probably look at the Volvo more.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:44:57 pm »
Mate's got an MY12 Ibiza 3door 1.6TDI FR in that Sprint blue colour they do. It's one of very few in that colour and trim to have Xenons and DRL's it would seem.

He gets on fine with it. He inquired about a map with Revo (locally) but they wouldn't touch his ECU, yet, but said in six months or so they'll have a reliable offering.

I'd consider one over the Polo if you've not already looked at a used one?
I think the A1 spec as mentioned probably won't be great for the price unless you go S-Line.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 07:18:27 pm »
I have owned the 1.6tdi sel polo for two years now and love it, not many small diesels out there I would swap it for. Economy is great, 60mpg easy on a m.way journey.

Stevie.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:40:27 pm »
Cheers guys, I knew this would be a good place to ask for opinions :happy2:

Like most German motors, it's all in the options list, however I think a lot came with that popup LCD screen and iPod connectivity, which is a start.
The S-Line ones look pretty cool, but like most S-Line Audis I bet the ride is crashy, esp. with it being such a short wheel base.

@S3DUBBIN: What sort of MPG do you get around town mate?  They claim 60 odd for urban, but I know a fair percentage of that is to be taken with a pinch of salt.:stupid:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:54:44 pm »
The 1.6 TDI felt woefully underpowered to me. Nearly hit the trigger on a 1.6 TDI sport.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:57:52 pm »
I know what you mean, but these eco boxes are all fairly similar... ~110bhp with ~180 lb/ft... zero road tax too

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:19:06 pm »
I'd hear reports on the Audi A1 forum of nobody hitting the MPG figures in the A1 1.6 TDI. So I'd rather go for the 2.0 TDI, get the better power and still get the same MPG.

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 02:16:38 am »
I had a 1.6tdi sline as a courtesy car a few weeks ago, everything was nice about the car, apart from the engine. It must have been the slowest car I have ever driven, had to go to 3rd gear on some parts of the motorway to get up  hills. when I got in, it said 44mpg average, when I handed it it back after I reset it, it was only 45mpg. was expecting more from the size of the engine vs the size of the car.

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 05:21:16 pm »
We are actually going to test drive a 1.4 TFSi S Line at the weekend as a run about car for the wife. The monthly payments are just over £200 so it is pretty cheap for the amount of car and the std spec on the S Line. They look pretty funky with the contrast line roof as well

Happy to pay slightly more and get one of these than other run of mill superminis
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 06:29:38 pm »
Like most German motors, it's all in the options list, however I think a lot came with that popup LCD screen and iPod connectivity, which is a start.
The S-Line ones look pretty cool, but like most S-Line Audis I bet the ride is crashy, esp. with it being such a short wheel base.

Yeah, check the spec carefully dude. As we all know, Audi are fairly tight with spec but happy to charge a fortune for a large 'extras' list.

My Black Edition spec A3 hasn't got a few things I really liked on the GTI; Auto lights/wipers/autodim mirror/coming & leaving home lights to name a couple. Bit frustrating considering it's essentially the same car, yet the GTI was poverty spec from factory and the BE is top Audi spec. There are pros though, like the standard LED/Xenons, half leather and Bose for example that the S-Line and others won't have.

Needs some tight browsing  :happy2:

I'd hear reports on the Audi A1 forum of nobody hitting the MPG figures in the A1 1.6 TDI. So I'd rather go for the 2.0 TDI, get the better power and still get the same MPG.
:

Luke has a point - the 2.0TDI 140hp A1 is meant to be a little cracker and my mate with the Ibiza also wishes he went for the 2.0TDI FR engine, as those reports are believed to be true. Not much in it MPG/running cost wise yet 32bhp or so more powerful.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Spider

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 08:15:17 pm »
I've got a A1 2.0 tdi black edition and must say its great
Didn't feel like much of a step down from mkv R32

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 08:39:23 pm »
Mate's got an MY12 Ibiza 3door 1.6TDI FR in that Sprint blue colour they do. It's one of very few in that colour and trim to have Xenons and DRL's it would seem.

He gets on fine with it. He inquired about a map with Revo (locally) but they wouldn't touch his ECU, yet, but said in six months or so they'll have a reliable offering.

I'd consider one over the Polo if you've not already looked at a used one?
I think the A1 spec as mentioned probably won't be great for the price unless you go S-Line.

Revo can now remap the 1.6TDi CR :happy2:

http://www.revotechnik.com/news/2012/1-6/
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 08:42:24 pm »
I've got a A1 2.0 tdi black edition and must say its great
Didn't feel like much of a step down from mkv R32

That looks sweet mate.

Thanks for the all the replies, will defo have to do a back to back test with the 1.6 and 2.0 TDI - preferably over some distance to see if the MPG figures are comparable.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 08:44:37 pm »
Not much help, but we had a C30 for over 4 years and it was a truly brilliant little car. 2.0d did well over 50mpg, no matter where or how you drove it. Seats were the best I've ever sat in, handling in SE spec was ok, ride was superb. Only thing that went wrong in all that time was a blown headlight bulb.
Sideways yo!