Make a donation

Author Topic: Just sold the Ed35, RS3 incoming.......  (Read 26727 times)

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
Re: Just sold the Ed35, what next?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 08:46:41 pm »
If wifey likes RS3 and Golf R.... buy a porker 911!  :happy2:

Sold my 911 last year, not very practical
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 08:50:58 pm »
I've been looking at the comparative performance between the RS3 and the Golf R. The Golf R is (in my opinion) better looking, newer electrics and with mods is as fast as an RS3. The downside is that you can easily get more power from an RS3 and it sounds lovely. I don't regret my decision on an R for a minute and when I see an RS3 I don't think "I wish...." So I guess it was the right decision.

Oli, you HAVE to drive both of them to know which one is for you/the missis.  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 08:51:26 pm »
B8 RS4?

2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 08:58:36 pm »
However here is the dilema - Do I get a Golf R, which to all intents and purposes will feel the same as what Ive just sold,  but would need to be a big specification, to match the ED35. 

My Mrs has an Ed35 and I have an R.  I drive her Ed35 most days and my R at the weekend.  In my opinion the R feels completely different to the Ed35 to drive, it's like being in a completely different class of car, it is so much better.  It feels more planted on the road, the engine feels more responsive, the engine note is completely different, well worth buying.  Re. the debate between an RS3 and an R, in my opinion the RS3 is really ugly, so for that reason it would be an R every time for me.

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 09:01:22 pm »
I've been looking at the comparative performance between the RS3 and the Golf R. The Golf R is (in my opinion) better looking, newer electrics and with mods is as fast as an RS3. The downside is that you can easily get more power from an RS3 and it sounds lovely. I don't regret my decision on an R for a minute and when I see an RS3 I don't think "I wish...." So I guess it was the right decision.

Oli, you HAVE to drive both of them to know which one is for you/the missis.  :happy2:

Thanks John, I have driven both and like them both..... I know Ill like the R.  I think ill go and take another look at the RS3 at the weekend and see what I think.

Im really split on this one

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 09:02:02 pm »
B8 RS4?

I want to spend mid 30's max, not mid 50's....., but I do like the look of them

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 09:02:50 pm »
Oh and you can get R's nearly new for £5-10k less than an RS3, so plenty of money to go towards the "modding" pot. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 09:19:22 pm »
If you can wait a little while I would say new S3. Saw a well specced new A3 on the road last week and it looked marvellous. The interior is leagues ahead of the RS3 and the engine will have some serious tuning potential for a relatively low cost.
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Saintsteve

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 09:26:10 pm »
 :signLOL:

Mad as a hatter  :stupid:  :signLOL:

Personally, I'd sit on the cash and wait for MQB mk7 R.

More efficient too.. Not that saving money isn't top of list of priorities  :signLOL:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 09:27:26 pm »
If you can wait a little while I would say new S3. Saw a well specced new A3 on the road last week and it looked marvellous. The interior is leagues ahead of the RS3 and the engine will have some serious tuning potential for a relatively low cost.

I was tempted to do the same but you end up with a new engine that no one knows if it is as strong as the old one ( the "old" R and S3 engines are well proven). Then add to this the fact that there will be little or no decent mods for it for ages let alone a map available and you get back to the reason why I opted for the MKVI R. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 09:27:26 pm »
MQB S3. Surely the order books must open soon???

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 09:32:30 pm »
I'd never buy a fresh out of the box model like the R or S3. I'll be waiting a few years before I even make the decision to jump to the next generation. New platform + new engines = new issues...possibly.

The R and S3 will be touted as having a revised version of the EA888 engine, so possible issues there to start with.

Go with either the MKVI R or RS3 Oli, but as I've said, drive both first. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 09:32:45 pm »

I was tempted to do the same but you end up with a new engine that no one knows if it is as strong as the old one ( the "old" R and S3 engines are well proven). Then add to this the fact that there will be little or no decent mods for it for ages let alone a map available and you get back to the reason why I opted for the MKVI R. :happy2:

Totally understand that John, but following some of Oli's threads he's not quite as mental as you are with his mods. A remap will be available almost instantly, I'm sure I read somewhere that this engine is quite different to the old S3/R unit, and will map to silly figures at stage 1
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 09:39:56 pm »
Who mentioned the S3, when is that due out. 

In the meantime Ive been offered an 12/62 1800mile RS3 for £36k!  Which Im sure I could get for £35k, which is very good value.  But have also been looking at R's, but considering my ED35 had everything bar roof and ACC, thats what Id want, and that will be a very rare spec...

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 09:40:13 pm »

Totally understand that John, but following some of Oli's threads he's not quite as mental as you are with his mods. A remap will be available almost instantly, I'm sure I read somewhere that this engine is quite different to the old S3/R unit, and will map to silly figures at stage 1

I really hope that is right as I'd be jumping all over one if it is. :happy2:
Golf R gone.