Make a donation

Author Topic: An argument bout tv licence  (Read 5080 times)

Offline X Oilman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: An argument bout tv licence
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 03:58:33 pm »
I see your point,  :happy2:
The democratic part being in that as we hand the cash over we agree to tolerate adverts/commercial channels, In my opinion not everyone/viewer benefits from this democracy tho :)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 09:15:44 am »

The TV licence is democratic, dont wanna watch, dont pay.

The bbc being a public service, information service, must be funded somehow, being funded by the viewer ensures the impartiality of the content in relation to that.

....I don't find the BBC to be wholly impartial and you have to pay the BBC licence fee even if you don't watch BBC progs.

I don't have Sky TV but at least you do have a choice not to pay if you don't want to watch Sky progs.

What is both ridiculous and totally wrong in my opinion is that you risk a Criminal Record if caught without a TV licence. Do you risk a Criminal Record if caught without a Road Tax licence?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2013, 09:23:39 am »

The bbc being a public service, information service, must be funded somehow, being funded by the viewer ensures the impartiality of the content in relation to that.

....I don't find the BBC to be wholly impartial and you have to pay the BBC licence fee even if you don't watch BBC progs.

I don't have Sky TV but at least you do have a choice not to pay if you don't want to watch Sky progs.

What is both ridiculous and totally wrong in my opinion is that you risk a Criminal Record if caught without a TV licence. Do you risk a Criminal Record if caught without a Road Tax licence?

Just pay or don't watch TV.... then theres no issue.

Citizens Advice Bureau......

Concessionary rates

You may be entitled to a reduced rate if you are:

over 75 years old

Not long to go Robin....  :grin:

Offline X Oilman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2013, 11:18:36 am »

Well the impartiality and public service provider is the main legal defence of the fee, whether or not we agree with that isnt the point. and you only risk the criminal record if you break the actual law
I agree that its a ridiculous law, as ridiculous as the adverts on sky.

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2013, 06:56:16 pm »
Yeh actually that's quite interesting robin! Having no tax is non-recordable but no tv licence is!! Think the same thing applies to fare evasion as lots of young people get criminal records for chancing it or more commonly genuine errors - nearly been there myself, but that's not material.
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline Vick N

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 09:23:25 pm »