Make a donation

Author Topic: Storm Developments  (Read 7571 times)

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
Storm Developments
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:40:36 pm »
Has anyone used these guys before? What was the service like? knowledge of staff etc?
thanks

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: Storm Developments
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:40:12 pm »
Mk5GTIan had a storm developments remap which he was very pleased with.

May be worth speaking to him?

I'm sure it's a southern branch of PDT (well respected on here) IIRC
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:22:00 am »
Well known in the motoring circles,they have a stand at GTI International and show off some of their handy work,some cracking stuff,never heard a bad word about them.Rotrex chargers are there speciality.

I remember a while back they were allegedly mapping a beast of a car and it ran out of fuel on the rollers,giving them heart attack sensations lol
no harm was done and they filled it up and carried on

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 09:20:44 am »
I can thoroughly recommend these guys. Andy, Alex and Tim are all complete VW enthusiasts who love their work. I'm going there two weeks today actually.

Some of the cars they work on there are absolutely mental! All sorts of top-end RS Audis, Porsche and VW are usually on site. They do a lot of supercharging of the 4.2 V8, and have worked on loads of TFSi & TSI engined cars. They have a 700bhp Mk1 Audi S3 with the 2.5 TTRS engine!

I had a PDT map on my old car which was done at Storm, and I still get to drive it. It's a fantastic map, delivering power smoothly yet progressively throughout the rev range. This car is wonderful to drive, and the map was only £300!

I then got my new car and had one of Storm's own maps on this one, and again the car felt superb to drive. However, when I went back for a free update they wanted to give me, the ECU had a hissy fit, and i had to go for a Revo map instead, which is also very good, if a little aggressive in comparison to the smooth delivery of the other 2. But this was £600, and if you don't need the switcheability between stock, anti-theft, and 3 different performance settings, Isn't really worth paying double in my opinion.

To start with, these guys can provide you with an excellent Stage 1 map for a really good price, and will then offer you advice on further upgrades based on what's best for you and your particular car rather than what's best for lining their pockets.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Dv21

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:54:55 am »
The guys are great down at storm my car is there now having a custom map

Offline oak_grun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:57:06 am »
If you want to get ripped off, go to Storm. I would avoid like the plague tbh...I am talking from personal experience :fighting:

Offline Dv21

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 10:16:35 am »
I have used them about 6 times and given them business also always offered a great service for me.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 10:22:50 am »
I have used them about 6 times and given them business also always offered a great service for me.

x2

3 remaps, 1 major service with cam follower and DV change. 4 great examples of customer service, and a thoroughly enjoyable experience every time. Always happy to answer any questions or concerns in enthusiastic detail.

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:37:37 pm »
The same people that sold you a £600 remap in place of an update...??

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 01:04:52 pm »

If you want to get ripped off, go to Storm. I would avoid like the plague tbh...I am talking from personal experience :fighting:

can you elaborate?

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 01:08:35 pm »

They spent hours trying to get the update on, I was there throughout. My ECU just wouldn't have it. Interestingly, it had been into VW the week before.

The ECU would not allow the old map to be reinstated, and wouldn't even allow the car to start. The maps were erased with the Revo tool and they then tried to load the map again, but the ECU wasn't having it. My options were to leave the car with them or simply upgrade to the Revo, so I decided to pay the difference between my old map and the Revo map, and they also gave me a very good discount.

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 08:01:58 pm »
Furry muff, sounded like it cost you 600 nicker from the other post. :happy2:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 08:37:23 am »

I mentioned the RRP for the benefit of the OP, as that's what he'd have to pay if he went there or somewhere else for Revo Stage 1. They did me a deal due to the inconvenience I'd experienced, even though it was my ECU causing the problem.  :happy2:

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 08:49:02 am »

I mentioned the RRP for the benefit of the OP, as that's what he'd have to pay if he went there or somewhere else for Revo Stage 1. They did me a deal due to the inconvenience I'd experienced, even though it was my ECU causing the problem:happy2:

That's debatable. How do you know it wasn't their knowledge that was causing the problem  :laugh:

You were left with either leave your car because they made it worse than when you first drove in or pay £300.  :rolleye:

Then again that's the cynical way of looking at it, i have however used PDT and have nothing but praise for his garage.

:signLOL:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 09:01:40 am »
Dazm on the r32 forum has a storm super charger fitted to his car for a few years now with no trouble at all