Make a donation

Author Topic: Lumpy idle  (Read 12039 times)

northyracing

Lumpy idle
« on: March 09, 2013, 08:52:22 pm »
I keep posting the same problem on here to try get an answer but so far no joy. So far what I have done is new DV new PCV 4 new coil packs and plugs to match them new cam follower cam belt change but still getting the lumpy idle. I then had it plugged in which showed no problems what so ever. MAF was working fine and recorded no misfires either ,is just on idle that's all once driving pulls like a train could the problem be inside the standard map

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: Lumpy idle
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:45:05 pm »
I keep posting the same problem on here to try get an answer but so far no joy.
I've noticed that.  :laugh:

I feel your pain, your head must be wrecked by now. Without any fault codes it'll have to be a mechanical search, check, etc.

Is your coolant ok...level wise? I read somewhere that low coolant can affect idling, not sure if it applies to these cars though.

If it was me at this stage I'd talk to a very good technician/mechanic and ask his/her advice. Someone with years of experience will know a thing or two to check.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
'07 Red manual

Saintsteve

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:53:38 pm »
Did you get a emissions check done?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:19:37 pm »
What mileage has the car done?
Without traction power is nothing!

northyracing

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:25:55 pm »
I have not had an emission test as of yet but lambda sensors was checked and working fine, the bloke who was doing the checks for me has been a well known mechanic for years and it has baffled him aswell the car has done 65600 miles coolant levels are fine if anything a little too much in there just beating my head against the wall now that's why I maybe thought it could be in the standard vw software

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:36:07 pm »
Cylinders compression and intake valves condition been checked?
Without traction power is nothing!

northyracing

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 10:44:48 pm »
No not yet as not sure on how to do that. The weird thing is it only happens when car is on idle soon as you give it abut of throttle it's gone

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
Re: Re: Lumpy idle
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:04:59 pm »
im not sure if a lumpy idle is the same as rough idle but on the mk4, giving the throttle body a clean sorted this? i guess it could be the same thing for you.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:29:59 am by richtung »

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 11:51:03 pm »
No not yet as not sure on how to do that. The weird thing is it only happens when car is on idle soon as you give it abut of throttle it's gone
There's a great how to knocking about for cleaning your valves... As you'd appreciate it's quite time consuming, here it is:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140523

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 12:02:08 am »
Something for you to try (maybe):

I have had a bit of what I can only describe as a bit of a stammer on idle. It felt like a bit of a missfire altough VAG-COM stated none. I have had an occasional fault flagged up on previous scans on the Throttle Body so today i thought I would try to clean it.

I bought some Carbaurettor/Injector cleaner from Halfrauds to try to clean it. My thought was to remove the Throttle body to clean it through, but that looked like a right PITA to get it off. So plan B was as per instructions, through the air intake (I originally didn't want to spray through the Turbo & Intercooler but easier than dissassembly).

I removed the connection from the airbox/MAF sensor and sprayed (pulsed) in there as my beautiful assistant held the revs around 2-3k. I also removed the PCV connection and sprayed in there as well (again pulsed). Beware, the engine does not like it if take the vacuum pipe off so don't do this for too long! If you overdo it, it will stall but will restart eventually.

The car now runs great. I don't know if it is a placebo effect but first impressions are that the car feels like it breathes better and the stammer appears to have gone at idle. My car has nearly reached 67k miles.

Just a thought. Oh and I originally wanted to do the above (CAMFOLLOWER) but there was snow forecast and this seemed to be an easier first step.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:03:57 am by GTI-Pirelli »

2017 Audi S4

Saintsteve

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 08:52:31 am »

I have had a bit of what I can only describe as a bit of a stammer on idle. It felt like a bit of a missfire altough VAG-COM stated none. I have had an occasional fault flagged up on previous scans on the Throttle Body so today i thought I would try to clean it.

I bought some Carbaurettor/Injector cleaner from Halfrauds to try to clean it. My thought was to remove the Throttle body to clean it through, but that looked like a right PITA to get it off. So plan B was as per instructions, through the air intake (I originally didn't want to spray through the Turbo & Intercooler but easier than dissassembly).

I removed the connection from the airbox/MAF sensor and sprayed (pulsed) in there as my beautiful assistant held the revs around 2-3k. I also removed the PCV connection and sprayed in there as well (again pulsed). Beware, the engine does not like it if take the vacuum pipe off so don't do this for too long! If you overdo it, it will stall but will restart eventually.

The car now runs great. I don't know if it is a placebo effect but first impressions are that the car feels like it breathes better and the stammer appears to have gone at idle. My car has nearly reached 67k miles.

Just a thought. Oh and I originally wanted to do the above (CAMFOLLOWER) but there was snow forecast and this seemed to be an easier first step.

This is exactly what I did with a can of Wynns EGR cleaner, and I can report, mines improved along with the Terraclean treatment I also did.

(From reply 8 on link below)

@northracing

Read my recent thread titled Terraclean. :happy2:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61952.0.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:55:30 am by Saintsteve »

northyracing

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 09:07:13 am »

Mine is the same it feels like a misfire but when plugged in doesn't register as a misfire so it almost feels like on idle someone on the outside of car slightly rocks the car but like I say ever so slightly so maybe could be a dirty throttle body it seems strange it's only happened after I had the coil packs fail

northyracing

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 03:05:25 pm »
I got some carb cleaner today and had the car revving at about 2500rpm and sprayed into the intake manifold via where the PCV plugs in and also inti the intake from the MAF to the turbo but still the problem is there so I am defiantly confused.com now

northyracing

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 10:12:10 am »
Could the timing cause a lumpy idle as I had the cam belt done about a 1000 miles ago and seems after I had this done also coils plugs DV and PCV done I had this problem I didn't have it befor all of this done

Saintsteve

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 11:17:46 am »
If the car is one tooth on the timing side of things out , then it would be down on power. perhaps log the MAF to see what the power is doing?

These cars idle quality isn't its strong point. Have you tried comparing it to someone else's Mk5 GTi?