Make a donation

Author Topic: Lumpy idle  (Read 12066 times)

northyracing

Re: Lumpy idle
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 01:20:08 pm »
I had a log on a snap on diagnostics which read 0.2 g/s at idle but I don't know what the proper reading is

Saintsteve

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 05:05:08 pm »
I had a log on a snap on diagnostics which read 0.2 g/s at idle but I don't know what the proper reading is

Use VCDS.

0.2 sounds about right.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:29:01 pm by Saintsteve »

northyracing

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 05:26:35 pm »
I don't own vcds at the moment might just have to invest in it so I can play about with the car and hopefully find my idle problem where can I buy it from and how does it actually work

Offline Steviedubs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 07:03:44 pm »
You can get the the genuine VCDS from gendan, I got mine from there.
http://m.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

You put the software on a laptop from Ross tech website, plug lead into USB and plug other end into diag port of car and away you go!

northyracing

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 08:30:01 pm »
300878955296 I found this on eBay seems too good to be true

Saintsteve

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 09:43:07 pm »

It probably is..

Is it a genuine version?

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 09:45:16 pm »

It is. The clue is in the text.
Simply use the software provided! Please do not update!

northyracing

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 09:46:09 pm »
Well listing sounds the part makes me wonder if they brought the genuine vcds and then copied it onto discs to sell on

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 10:22:20 pm »
Could the timing cause a lumpy idle as I had the cam belt done about a 1000 miles ago and seems after I had this done also coils plugs DV and PCV done I had this problem I didn't have it befor all of this done

My engine developed a lumpy idle once the cam bent was changed. I believe a small amount of timing adjustment can be made when carrying out this procedure either intentionally or by some incompetent VW technician.

northyracing

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 10:35:46 pm »
Could the timing cause a lumpy idle as I had the cam belt done about a 1000 miles ago and seems after I had this done also coils plugs DV and PCV done I had this problem I didn't have it befor all of this done

My engine developed a lumpy idle once the cam bent was changed. I believe a small amount of timing adjustment can be made when carrying out this procedure either intentionally or by some incompetent VW technician.
I wonder if its an easy to fix this problem. Did you gets yours done or left it its really doing my head in now as diognostics show no faults so maybe when I had my belt done it slipped a tooth on timing

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 02:23:21 pm »

I wonder if its an easy to fix this problem. Did you gets yours done or left it its really doing my head in now as diognostics show no faults so maybe when I had my belt done it slipped a tooth on timing

I would quite like to get it fixed but as it doesn't seem to effect performance I'm not that bothered about it.

That said it might be contributing to my poor cold starting issue where the engine coughs and splutters into life. Hmmm
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:53:51 pm by holepunch »

northyracing

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 05:21:23 pm »
When you get the rough idle does the needle more on rev counter as when mine does needle stays perfectly still also when at low speeds does yours feel juddery or smooth

Offline percy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 06:18:54 pm »
What intake are you using? If you are using the standard air box then try changing the air filter as this will make a difference on idle as mine ran fine while driving then ran rough when on tick over so try that mate

northyracing

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 06:38:36 pm »
I'm on standard air box but have jus replaced the filter itself with a pipercross foam filter but still seems to be the same I dunno what else to do as its had new coils plugs DV and pcv

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 08:05:19 pm »
Well listing sounds the part makes me wonder if they brought the genuine vcds and then copied it onto discs to sell on

Why would they do that?  :stupid:
You can download the software for free it's the cable that's the clever bit and contains the licence for the software.