Make a donation

Author Topic: ED30 Headache!  (Read 7594 times)

scottm72

Re: ED30 Headache!
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 08:50:31 am »
You need to ask people from you area to take you for a ride. It would be really really helpful, especially if they are running different tyres. Changing the tyres just because of road noise is a very expensive move to make, without a garauntee of it resolving the problem.

I havent drove my car in a couple of weeks now, so im going to get it out the garage today and listen out for road noise now its been mentioned.
remember your tyres will be very cold dude being in storage, give them 10 minutes on the road to soften and heat up  :happy2:

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2012, 09:36:40 am »
Yeah, hopefully I will be able to compare my car with another ED30 very soon.

What I meant to say about buying tyres is that it's one of the few things I can think of that you can't try before you buy. Jeez, if you could do that this whole problem would be solved easily!  :surprised:

Scott - the car is bog standard and I doubt there is a wheel balance problem. As I said it's absolutely fine and quiet on smooth tarmac. It's just when I hit any sort of rough surface that it starts to roar.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:43:15 am by Xizor »

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2012, 10:40:35 am »
Most of the noise appears to be transmitted to the shell from the rear "axle". If you look at quieter cars with a multi-link rear suspension design, the rear subframe is typically isolated from the shell by rubber bushes. It's the same story with a Focus, which is similar in design to a Mk5 Golf at the rear, yet the current shape mondeo and s-max which are an enlarged evolution of the focus rear are quieter and have a rubber mounted rear subframe.

The Golf / Octavia / A3 / Leon with the multi-link rear end are noisy, the only exceptions I've noted are the 4wd cars, which presumably have a rubber isolated rear subframe - mainly to avoid diff noise transfer to the shell, but with the added benefit of additional road noise isolation?

Anyone know if the Passat has a directly mounted rear subframe?

The way to make a Mk5 golf quieter is move to France and drive only on super smooth Autoroutes.  :evilgrin: That said my car is much quieter on the winter tyres than GY F1v2.

Offline gobbleplease

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2012, 07:55:55 pm »
Tbh I'd never gave road noise a second thought on the car and I've driven across boarders on mine, my mrs however pointed out to me the other day that the car was very noisy on the road compared to her car or the RS and in truth I have to agree it does kick out a fair bit road noise !

Don't get vreds they are bad !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2012, 08:01:28 pm »
Thanks for the technical explanation, lackof.

All very interesting. As you say, this problem effects all the VAG cars on this platform.

Maybe some extra sound insulation would help. It's worth a try  :confused:

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2012, 09:06:06 pm »
Just found this:

scottm72

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2012, 10:13:57 am »
read this
http://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tires/passenger/eagle-f1-asymmetric-2/index.jsp?from=tf

Well, all I can say is, if the F1 asym 2's are supposed to be quiet I feel sorry for anyone using a louder tyre!  :sad1:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2012, 10:59:26 am »
I went from Dunlop Sportmaxx to GY's and if you think the GY's are loud . . . .  :grin:

18in wheels add to the road noise, as do low tyre pressures (worth checking pressures??)

Personally I don't find the mk5 particularly noisy anyway, and I've had numerous hot hatches before which were all noisier. It takes a really rough surface for me to notice much noise in the GTI. I imagine lesser models are quieter due to softer suspension  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline eltel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2012, 05:02:50 pm »
I have dunlop sportmax on at the moment and the rears have  sawtoothing  the rumbling is is really bad   :scared: when i replace them in the new year i was going for a set of gy, im glad this thread started i thought it was just me who thought this car was loud. :jumping:

scottm72

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2012, 05:06:44 pm »
read this
http://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tires/passenger/eagle-f1-asymmetric-2/index.jsp?from=tf

Well, all I can say is, if the F1 asym 2's are supposed to be quiet I feel sorry for anyone using a louder tyre!  :sad1:
as I said before, the noise is not your tyres, go and spend £400 + on new rubber and you will find out the hard way

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2013, 12:40:10 pm »
Problem solved!  :happy2:

The ED30 has gone to a better home!

Now got a MK1 Seat Leon Cupra R.

Much nicer car IMO. Less road noise, just as fast, more unusual and nearly £5K less!

Thanks for all the help during my short GTI ownership.

Cheers,
Xizor  :smiley:

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2013, 01:55:00 pm »
Are you sure the mk1 Leon is quieter??? My mate has one and it's a lot louder for road noise, wind noise and cabin squeaks and creaks.

My ED30 is far from quiet, but weirdly on smooth roads it's quieter than my old BMW 1 series coupe which i would have expected to be quieter. On rough roads, its a different story, ED30 is loud and hard, BMW was quiet and well damped.

I'm going to fit sound deadening sheets to the large expanses of metal around the inside of the car and where suspension parts could transmit noise through the car. I previously done this to my mk4 Ibiza and the difference was great.

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2013, 04:57:01 pm »
OK, I agree, the ED30 was very quiet on smooth roads.

But, on anything other than glass smooth tarmac it was bad. It was doing my head in and I couldn't take it any longer. There is road noise in the Leon, but it doesn't seem half as annoying as the ED30.

Maybe the ED30 noise was resonating with my brain or something!  :confused:

Offline jedi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • GTI Edition 30
    • RP Driving School
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2013, 11:22:08 pm »
I've gone the opposite way.  I've come from a seat Leon cupra mk1 to the edy 30.  I found both to be similar with regards to road noise however the cupra also had some annoying squeaks from inside the cabin.  Hope you enjoy the cupra - they are pretty quick too!  :smiley: