Make a donation

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Waynevr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
What would you do?
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:15:43 pm »
Hi,
I bought my edition30 6 weeks ago from a well known used car dealer (arnold clark), when I arrived to buy the car it was just undergoing its mot so I looked around it, heard it running and was very happy. As I didn't want to be hanging around we sorted out the payment there and then and I test drove the car afterwards. 5 mins into the test drive the oil pressure warning flashed up so I stopped immediately. I left the car with them to sort but sorted some money off as a goodwill gesture for wasting my day, anyway they sorted the car and I was happy! 2 weeks later after its 1st real good motorway run the light came on again, called assistance they collected, took it to the dealer near me and sorted it again. The manager there said they had the sump off and cleaned the pick up pipe which sorted it again! Anyway today the light has come on again, 90 miles from home snowing and I'm absolutely gutted, aa again towed me home and the car to the garage.
Anyway, what would you do? I've lost all confidence in the car as both times I've taken the car for a good run on the motorway this has happened.

I think I'm either going to ask them to send it into a vw main dealer for sorting or ask for a refund, do you think this is unreasonable?

Thanks for reading and sorry for it being so long winded.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:20:24 pm »
I would ask for a refund

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:23:59 pm »
Was it a vw Arnold Clark?

I've had a very recent bad experience with clarks after I bought my car from them. It was a fiat Arnold Clark so I'd ask them to take it to a vw franchise.

Offline Waynevr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »
Was it a vw Arnold Clark?

I've had a very recent bad experience with clarks after I bought my car from them. It was a fiat Arnold Clark so I'd ask them to take it to a vw franchise.

It was the branch at West Bromwich, don't honestly know what make they were dealers for

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 07:32:22 pm »
Must've not been vw then. Before trying to reject, be reasonable and give them the chance to sort it at vw. In my experience non vw don't have a clue.

Offline Waynevr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 07:34:58 pm »
Definitely wasn't a vw dealer, I agree with what you are saying but what happens if this happens again in a couple of months as it will then be out of warranty? Do I have a legal leg to stand on?

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 07:38:03 pm »
Definitely wasn't a vw dealer, I agree with what you are saying but what happens if this happens again in a couple of months as it will then be out of warranty? Do I have a legal leg to stand on?

I'm sure any parts fitted under warranty carry warranty for a year or something like that. You'd need to check the small print :(

For your hassle you could try and negotiate an extended warranty even?

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 07:41:16 pm »
All genuine vw parts carry a 12 month warranty

Offline Waynevr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 07:45:00 pm »

I'm sure any parts fitted under warranty carry warranty for a year or something like that. You'd need to check the small print :(

For your hassle you could try and negotiate an extended warranty even?
Tried the extended warranty, but because the car is over 5 years old arnold clark don't do extended.

Offline G40will

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 07:45:24 pm »
It's a difficult situation to be put in, I felt the same after my new golf developed a turbo fault on the way home from collecting it. The dealer kindly replaced the turbo for me and it was fine until it broke down again with a faulty fuel pump and I lost all faith in the car. I've regained confidence in it now and I'm finally starting to enjoy the thought of keeping it and making it my own.

Think about all the things you love about it...

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 07:46:47 pm »
They defo do warranty on used cars tho. Mines is almost 5 years old and I could've got one. It's just like an aftermarket warranty.

Offline Waynevr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 07:48:03 pm »
It's a difficult situation to be put in, I felt the same after my new golf developed a turbo fault on the way home from collecting it. The dealer kindly replaced the turbo for me and it was fine until it broke down again with a faulty fuel pump and I lost all faith in the car. I've regained confidence in it now and I'm finally starting to enjoy the thought of keeping it and making it my own.

Think about all the things you love about it...

Absolutely agree with the things I love about it, it's the best car I've ever owned but it took a long time saving with 2 kids so I don't really want to be left with a money pit that I'm too scared to drive incase it breaks again.

Offline Waynevr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 07:49:16 pm »
They defo do warranty on used cars tho. Mines is almost 5 years old and I could've got one. It's just like an aftermarket warranty.

When I asked about it they said its over 5 years so we don't do extended just the 60 days but there are companies that do warranty.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 08:10:21 pm »
I'd definitely go down the refund route asap.  Oil pickup sludging was a major probs on my old SAAB's (usually down to poor maintenance and / or not using fully syn oil), basically you'd have the sump off clean out... but shortly after, could be a month, could be a year, the turbos would die... perhaps being starved for so long weakened them internally; then after cleaning, received a healthy dollop of full power... and BOOM, dead turbine... anyway, I wouldn't be happy with that at all.

Offline Waynevr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 03:15:54 pm »
 Well, I've spoken to the sales manager and he has agreed that the next stage is a full engine rebuild with them footing the bill. He did offer me a refund but I would rather keep the car if they fix it properly.

He did say that once rebuilt the engine will be covered for 18 months o any problems and to take it straight back.