Make a donation

Author Topic: Thinking of have stage 1  (Read 6608 times)

Offline numec

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 14
Re: Thinking of have stage 1
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 09:42:24 pm »
R tech stage 1 cost 290 quid, no?

Offline ell.s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »
Correct, nearly half the price of the generic maps. :wink:

Offline woky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 09:48:04 pm »
A few have mentioned clutches, does it knacker it quick?
i,d like an answer to this aswell please...........?

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 09:53:57 pm »
Although a custom map is best for torque (power is debatable)... an off the shelf map still serves a purpose for those that are a million miles away from R-tech... coupled with the ease of dialing back to standard using the handheld if you have ANY problems.

Offline woky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 10:14:58 pm »
i,m going to go to r-tech in the near future, but could the map burn my clutch out quicker?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 10:18:22 pm »
i,m going to go to r-tech in the near future, but could the map burn my clutch out quicker?

Ask Niki to go easy on the torque  :happy2:

Some don't have any clutch slip, others do. Luck of the draw  :sad1:

The beauty of a custom map is they can keep the torque down to protect your clutch  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 10:25:28 pm »
Another vote for R-tech.  He seems to get loads of positive reviews on here.
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 10:30:07 pm »
Although a custom map is best for torque (power is debatable)... an off the shelf map still serves a purpose for those that are a million miles away from R-tech... coupled with the ease of dialing back to standard using the handheld if you have ANY problems.

Remember it's how it drives, not peak figures  :happy2:

If torque is better, surely power would be slightly better also as is the boost giving you the torque , the same thing that gives you power.

A custom map is about drivability , tailoring the map to how you drive and the exact spec of your car. Generic maps are built around a "one size fits all" which is designed to work with all types of hardware so will always be a compromise.

The way I see it, with pricing differences between some of the maps available, you could travel from Scotland to r-tech, have your car mapped and come back several times before you've matched the cost of a big brand map. . .

Its down to personal preference at the end of the day, I've learnt a lot in the last 2yrs of being on the forum & speaking to tuners and for me it's a no brainier to get top quality service, a quality map for a great price

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 11:18:51 pm »
My stage 1 off the shelf map makes ~165bhp at 3k, ~200bhp at 4k, with ~280 lb/ft, it then progressively goes on to make just shy of 250bhp max; all I have is a Pre-cat delete.

I'm sure a custom map will make more torque (eating my clutch in the process, I'm on 110k, 45k of which have been tuned!), but as I live a LONG way from a decent tuner, I'm more than happy with my output / drivability, and the chance to stage back when it suits me is a huge bonus for fault finding, as one Highlands member would've been happy for just recently! (his clutch was failing and had to make a long journey to the nearest vw indy for repair on a high torque tuned map :scared:)

You pays your money.. and all that shizzle. :signLOL:

Saintsteve

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 08:39:05 am »
Has anyone with an ed30 had one of nicks TIV maps yet? Or am I the 1st?  :grin:

I'm agree, never been a fan of Revos pricing for what it is, and people just accepting that if its highly priced,must mean its the best.
I'm looking foward to trying nicks work out on my car, I will still have my bluefin on my handset along with its stock map, but unsure on the latta if that's retrievable in a emergency. But not overly concerned as getting a stock map isn't a problem. But from reading lots of reviews, I think I won't be needing it  :laugh:. Very much looking foward to April 11th and a day of testing  and give my honest thoughts on the difference, and then on to comparing it against other cars on an independent dyno at the next arranged RR day (torque curve is my main objective) not interested in final bhp being higher then say Revo or APR, just a smooth very drive able Stage 2 Edition 30 that can actually put the power down without sitting and going nowhere if you have too much torque at low revs. :happy2:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:48:46 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=b0o159ascg6raoj0j9tm3l9leo&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2013, 09:32:25 am »
Steve. Nik did a ed30 stage one a while back with tiv and it made 314bhp. ;-)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2013, 11:42:18 am »
Linear throttle may be worthwhile too - again, Nick will sort you out  :happy2:

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2013, 04:08:02 pm »

If torque is better, surely power would be slightly better also as is the boost giving you the torque , the same thing that gives you power.

A custom map is about drivability , tailoring the map to how you drive and the exact spec of your car. Generic maps are built around a "one size fits all" which is designed to work with all types of hardware so will always be a compromise.

The way I see it, with pricing differences between some of the maps available, you could travel from Scotland to r-tech, have your car mapped and come back several times before you've matched the cost of a big brand map. . .

Its down to personal preference at the end of the day, I've learnt a lot in the last 2yrs of being on the forum & speaking to tuners and for me it's a no brainier to get top quality service, a quality map for a great price

A good point that mate - about travelling from Scotland. I'm currently looking to get a map around April. Only choice here (Aberdeen) is really REVO. 100 mile drive opens that choice up, but just to the usual suspects, GIAC, APR etc. Might consider R-Tech as a realistic option as like you say, a map and petrol (and poss accommodation) would probably still be cheaper than APR/REVO. My only concern would be if there were any issues with the map, how easy it would be to get them resolved from 300+ miles away?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2013, 05:51:36 pm »

A good point that mate - about travelling from Scotland. I'm currently looking to get a map around April. Only choice here (Aberdeen) is really REVO. 100 mile drive opens that choice up, but just to the usual suspects, GIAC, APR etc. Might consider R-Tech as a realistic option as like you say, a map and petrol (and poss accommodation) would probably still be cheaper than APR/REVO. My only concern would be if there were any issues with the map, how easy it would be to get them resolved from 300+ miles away?

Nick won't let you off the premises until everything is tried and tested so you know there is nothing wrong with the map  :happy2:

Offline Bradruss

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2013, 06:07:29 pm »
What sort of problems can develop after/with a remap?