Make a donation

Author Topic: Boot pop mod, non genuine lifters?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
Boot pop mod, non genuine lifters?
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:12:04 am »
Ive coded my boot pop, ordered the scirocco bump stops, just need the gas lifters.
I found these on ebay and wondered if they would do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321058707161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

600N force? is that better than the standard genuine fabia struts?
Fun bags

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
Re: Boot pop mod, non genuine lifters?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:26:53 am »
iirc, the standard fabia ones were 400Nm, but don't quote me on that; love to see how you get on and whether these will make the boot pop mod work when it's cold. :happy2:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:53:07 am »
Not sure if those would fit but would be interesting if they do :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Trev.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 11:15:05 am »
Would this mod work on a mk5 Jetta?

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 02:12:27 pm »
My Jetta boot pops already as standard. Doesn't work so well in this cold though, but in the summer, it positively jumps open.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Trev.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:14:34 pm »
Cheers for that will wait and see what it does in warmer weather!

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:36 pm »

To replicate this in the cold. You can open & close it several times to warm up the struts. Then give it a go  :wink:

Offline scottm72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:15:45 pm »

To replicate this in the cold. You can open & close it several times to warm up the struts. Then give it a go  :wink:
Tried that many times and just wont work for me, shouldnt have wasted my time on this mod.
With the weight of the gti spoiler and the mk6 rear view camera mine is useless unless i am pointing downhill  :ashamed:
It is a simple weight issue with this mod, is the normal struts def 400nm,,,, i cant think of a way to fix this apart from a stronger strut ( if that worked i might wanna be carefull if i am pointing downhill when using it ) could knock the wife into the next field  :signLOL:
Seriouslly need to fix this and feedback on the other struts would be very helpfull

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:40:28 pm »
Werent you having problems with the bump stops?

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 10:06:36 pm »

Tried that many times and just wont work for me, shouldnt have wasted my time on this mod.
With the weight of the gti spoiler and the mk6 rear view camera mine is useless unless i am pointing downhill  :ashamed:
It is a simple weight issue with this mod, is the normal struts def 400nm,,,, i cant think of a way to fix this apart from a stronger strut ( if that worked i might wanna be carefull if i am pointing downhill when using it ) could knock the wife into the next field  :signLOL:
Seriouslly need to fix this and feedback on the other struts would be very helpfull

Ah man, do not be so down hearted, you will get it sorted... someone will have tried stronger struts... I think tfsi mike got stronger ones...

goodluck in finding what works man  :happy2:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 10:21:56 pm »

To replicate this in the cold. You can open & close it several times to warm up the struts. Then give it a go  :wink:
With the weight of the gti spoiler and the mk6 rear view camera mine is useless unless i am pointing downhill  :ashamed:
It is a simple weight issue with this mod, is the normal struts def 400nm,,,, i cant think of a way to fix this apart from a stronger strut ( if that worked i might wanna be carefull if i am pointing downhill when using it ) could knock the wife into the next field  :signLOL:

So yours doesn't even work even after its been opened once or twice just soon previously? Sounds like something's wrong as mine works fine if it has been opened/closed just before (to imitate summer).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:24:01 pm by Kalpsn2000 »
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline scottm72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 12:48:31 am »

To replicate this in the cold. You can open & close it several times to warm up the struts. Then give it a go  :wink:
With the weight of the gti spoiler and the mk6 rear view camera mine is useless unless i am pointing downhill  :ashamed:
It is a simple weight issue with this mod, is the normal struts def 400nm,,,, i cant think of a way to fix this apart from a stronger strut ( if that worked i might wanna be carefull if i am pointing downhill when using it ) could knock the wife into the next field  :signLOL:

So yours doesn't even work even after its been opened once or twice just soon previously? Sounds like something's wrong as mine works fine if it has been opened/closed just before (to imitate summer).
Was going to get another set of the bumper stops and i will just in case but i know i need more ooomph in the struts,,, i can open and close mine all day long manually to free it off but it makes no difference.
I think the mk6 camera is the problem as it is a fair bit heavier than the normal mk5 rear handle, add that to the weight of the gti spoiler compared to the diesel for example,,,,,, i need stronger struts but dont know what will fit and i cant find anything,,, im assuming i need at least 50% more oooomph in them.
If between us we could find something that would fit then our problems could be solved as well as the winter stickiness.
Has anyone any ideas where we can find a set of struts with more power but the same dimensions, they will be cheap enough and a five minute job  :drinking:

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 07:43:26 am »
I dont think your bump stops are working correctly as im sure you said they just spin and spin?

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 10:43:04 am »
The only thing is if you go for stronger struts you would have to really slam the boot shut for it to close.

I noticed the difference between the standard Golf and the Skoda ones because when closing my old mans boot the other day (standard TDI) I ended up using extra force (due to being accustomed to mine) and it slammed shut followed by a verbal WTF are you doing :grin:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:46:51 am by Kalpsn2000 »

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 10:47:09 am »
Didn't TFSI Mike have some custom one's made... not sure how he got on with them though, perhaps if he's sees this he will chime in,.

Sounds logical it would be more difficult to shut, and perhaps put more pressure on the lock too...  I noticed if your dial out the bump stops too much this has a similar adverse effect.