Make a donation

Author Topic: iPod dock can't recognise ipod  (Read 5223 times)

Offline jedi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • GTI Edition 30
    • RP Driving School
iPod dock can't recognise ipod
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:10:33 pm »
Bought myself and eddy 30 last week.  Has the iPod dock in the centre arm rest.  Plugged in my iPod and no sound.  It recognises it as when I skip through the tracks it come up on the display as selecting the next track but no sound coming out the speakers.  :sad1:

Went to VW who said that "the iPod dock can not play new iPods (any iPods produced after 2007) as apple have apparently changed a couple of pins round just to p*** people off".  

He said the only way round is to buy an old iPod, buy a new stereo system by kenwood with integrated sat Nav for £1000 or the same one from VW for £2000      :surprised:       

or they can retrofit an aux cable through the back of the unit via the glove box.  I have to lose the light.  

Cost me£37 for the lead.  £113 for them to fit including VAT.  Going to see if I can fit it myself.  Anyone done this before?  

Cheers guys

Offline jedi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • GTI Edition 30
    • RP Driving School
Re: iPod dock can't recognise ipod
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 03:13:47 pm »
Can anyone help??  Thanks

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 03:22:18 pm »
Afraid so! My last car did this - so bought an old iPod classic just for the car. Picked it up on eBay for £20. Turned out to be the cheapest method

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 04:23:19 pm »
Ive used an iphone 3gs/4/4s and a 5 in mine, they all work. Plus i still have a light in my glovebox. So sounds like the stealers are talking bull!

Offline Paullie773

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 05:15:28 pm »
That's a weird one, when I retrofitted Audi Music Interface to my S3, it wouldn't recognise my old Gen 2 Ipod Nano (from early 2007), until I downloaded the latest online software from Apple and it has worked perfectly since then. I thought it might be worth saying, in case your issue is similar. I think as above though, ..dealer is talking BS  :smiley:.

Paula

Offline jedi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • GTI Edition 30
    • RP Driving School
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:17:09 pm »
I checked my ipod for the latest software and tried it again but it still doesn't play.  Got myself aux lead from VW today.  Not looking forward to messing around with the HU but I'll give it a go to save myself over £115 that VW would charge me.

I need my tunes!  Thanks for your help guys!

Offline numec

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:56:26 pm »
Bought a 3rd gen ipod nano for 20 quid to dock it under my armrest...nice!!  :happy2:

Offline Chrisuk1975

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 12:12:37 am »
I had same problem, my nano wouldn't work but just bought an old iPod classic, which works fine :)

Offline jedi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • GTI Edition 30
    • RP Driving School
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:05:11 pm »
You know I might return the aux lead back to VW and just get an old iPod pre 2007.  Less of a headache I think.  What generation iPod are you guys using?

Offline numec

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 09:26:18 pm »
You know I might return the aux lead back to VW and just get an old iPod pre 2007.  Less of a headache I think.  What generation iPod are you guys using?

as above, classic or nano works fine..mine is 3rd gen 8gb which work brilliantly and sit nicely.. :smiley:

Offline jedi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • GTI Edition 30
    • RP Driving School
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 09:38:16 pm »
Cheers.  Seen a 4th generation classic for 30 quid.  Job done!  :happy2:

Offline jedi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • GTI Edition 30
    • RP Driving School
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 11:40:09 am »
Got the ipod and went to try it in the car and it doesn't work!   :confused:

Any ideas why???  Its a 4th generation classic 2004 so should be old enough but the HU doesn't recognise it.  I have the single CD head unit if this helps??

Frustrated....I need my tunes!!  Any help appreciated with this..... :sad1:

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 01:49:42 pm »
Its nout to do with the single cd player as thats all that i have, mine occasionally doesnt recognise my iPhone 5 (probably twice out of 30 times) and i have to reset my phone and itll work. If you have a cd in when you plug your iPod in, press cd and it comes up with 6cd options, cd6 should be highlighted as that is your full iPods list of tracks, the other cd are for playlists, so if you have playlist these will say 'cd1' etc. Do you have a reciept to say the work was done at VW? As im not sure if they need coding or not!

Offline jedi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • GTI Edition 30
    • RP Driving School
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 06:24:31 pm »
When I have a cd in it just plays the cd.  (Even though my ipod is connected). When I press the cd button it says no cd. :confused:

When I take the cd out and plug the iPod in I press cd button and again it just comes up with no cd.  When I press the cd button again it just comes up with no cd again - I don't even get any option you mention about cd 6.

I'm not sure how to get round this.  I've tried 2 different iPods.  My new iPod touch but was told the older iPods per 2007 would work so bought an old iPod specially for the car.  This also hasn't worked.  What options do I have???

Seriously frustrated!! Surely there must be a way round this so I can hook up my iPod.  My VW garage were useless.  They tried to sell me their kenwood unit for £1000.  :sad1:

Can anyone help? 

Offline jedi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • GTI Edition 30
    • RP Driving School
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 03:41:02 pm »
Went to my local VW dealer to see why I can't get any sound.  After some investigating it turns out that the head unit of the ipod dock is damaged after 5 years of constant use it's shot to bits.

Explains why the old ipod I bought didn't work.  The bloke then got onto the phone to VW Germany and 10 mins later was quoted £332 for a new docking system.   :surprised:

Hell No!  So now they are going to retrofit the AUX cable via the glove box for £91. 

Cheers for your help guys.  It's been 2 weeks without music.....this time next week I will have some tunes... :jumping: