Make a donation

Author Topic: Door lock module.  (Read 1483 times)

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
Door lock module.
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:31:04 am »
Looking more and more like this is faulty on the drivers side, symptoms are -
Car thinks the door is shut when left open, so auto locks engage and if your sat in it and move the alarm sounds, also now the hazards are starting to randomly flash as though the alarm is sounding even when the car is locked.

Anyone any idea of how much this might cost to replace? Part and labour?

Also does this involve removing the outer door skin? if so is that straight forward or a recipe for disaster if done incorrectly?
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
Re: Door lock module.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:10:58 am »
Has it been scanned mate?
I had the following error code recently:

==
1 Fault Found:
00096 - Drivers Door Central Locking (Safe) Motor (V161)
            012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
==

Mine seems ok functionally at least, going to leave it until I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Try seeing whether it's a pinched / broken wire: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/wiring-harness-vw-jetta-repair.htm
Or fit a new Motor, you can grab them on eBay for about £40, here's a how to: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52585.0.html

:happy2:

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:21:03 am »
It's getting serviced at the weekend so will scan it then, It's more of an annoyance really and seeing as I'm getting rid later on in the year if it's going to cost a fortune it will not get done.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:47:00 am »
Have a look at recent threads.

If the door lock module goes, you will not be able to open the door from the inside or the outside. You will also not be able to replace it without causing some damage to the car.

The door lock module is between the door frame and the outer skin. To remove the outer skin, the door must be open. Hence it's easy to do if the door can be opened.

The module costs around £120-150 (I can't remember the exact cost). It can be done by yourself if you have the equipment (main thing is the spline socket).

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:54:21 am »
Do you reckon you might get away with removing the interior grab handle 2x bolts behind it,, then prising the the door card from the window reveal, just enough to get at the cable? 
You've got me worried now! :confused:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:12:50 am »
No. If you took off the door card, you'll what is essentially a sheet of metal with holes in it. The lock module is on the other side of this sheet and is hidden between it and the outer door skin. The lock module is held in place and the wiring is plugged in. Have a look at Matt's how-to guide which explains it all.

My rear passenger door was shut for six months - couldn't open from inside or out. Thankfully, on the day of the MOT, it miraculously opened and we were able to change the door lock so it passed the MOT without any problems.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 11:20:02 am »
Sounds a pita... I meant if we could get to the cable, with enough force could that action the motor to at least unlock the door, long shot I know; and hugely advisable to just swap it out when you have the opportunity.

Seems that a lot of peeps are having door lock probs during the winter, perhaps to certain degree (no pun intended) it's down to the cold weather/?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 11:57:45 am »
Mine first started playing up around May/June last year, when it was warm and sunny.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 12:14:17 pm »
That looks quite doable but also the thought of removing the door skin scares the hell out of me.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 01:17:19 pm »
It's actually relatively easy to do IMO. I suspect if I had the space, I could do this on a driveway (in dry weather). But given that I don't, I opted to get it done by a pro (AKS).

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 06:17:34 pm »