Make a donation

Author Topic: Replacing the exhaust  (Read 4020 times)

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
Replacing the exhaust
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:34:54 am »
So, I am unfortunately completely ignorant when it comes to this. It's quite annoying. At some point in the future I would like to replace the exhaust to a Milltek one, ideally before a remap.

The question I have is, do I just buy the cat-back or do I have to get the downpipe too? I have no idea what either things do (I'm sure a little Googling will help, gonna do that in a minute). Also what is the difference between resonated and non-resonated?

I tried using the search function on here, but I find it to be horrible at actually finding what you want. Heh. Help is appreciated!

Thank you.

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Nasir

Re: Replacing the exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:42:57 am »
It's up to you. The cat back is at says on the tin, just the system from the cat. Half a system if you will. A downpipe replacement is the whole system, the downpipe comes from the exhaust manifold. More benefit is found in the latter, obviously.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:59:49 am »
If you do go for cat back only and not a full TBE, then I would defo get a pre-cat delete.
It's worth noting that a TBE wouldn't have a pre-cat. It would also be the larger 3inch downpipe, and your choice of a 100/200 cell cat (instead of standard 800 cell) or de-cat.

So it's trade off time, and really down to your funds and what stage you plan on doing... if just Stage 1 then a pre-cat delete and cat back system is fine.  Stage 2 would probably run on the same pre-cat delete standard exhaust, but you'd be better off going for the TBE, from Stage 2 upwards.  I wouldn't run a Stage 2 without at least the pre-cat removed...

Offline GTI-Ross

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:01:11 pm »
as above - Downpipe is from manifold / turbo. Replace this has the the best performance gains & sounds - especially if couple with a sports cat (100 or 200 cel)

but it can be very expensive. It all depends on what your looking for and your budget.

Option 1 - Remove rear muffler - cheap and sounds awesome

Options 2 - Cat-back exhaust - mid priced - you can have it resonated or non -resonated - non - resonated been louder

Option 3 - Full Turbo back exhaust - expensive - but will give you more free flow air - hence more BHP gains when mapped

Hope this helps.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:08:59 pm »
Thanks guys, I am not exactly the richest person. I just want a little speed gain and nicer sound really, so cat-back would suffice?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 12:14:00 pm »
Thanks guys, I am not exactly the richest person. I just want a little speed gain and nicer sound really, so cat-back would suffice?

Yes. Cat back for noise, Turbo back for power. You will need a reducer to fit a Milltek cat back with standard downpipe & cat.

May be worth trying one of the other cheaper brands - dont automatically think Milltek is the only supplier of aftermarket exhausts for the MK5. . .
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 12:15:46 pm »
If your budget is tight then just remove your suitcase back box ( the last muffler under the boot) and get a tail pipe fitted.

Blueflame do one - or review on YouTube - "MK5 Suitcase delete"

Cat back exhaust wont really give you any more power as such thought mate.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 12:18:07 pm »

Yes. Cat back for noise, Turbo back for power. You will need a reducer to fit a Milltek cat back with standard downpipe & cat.

May be worth trying one of the other cheaper brands - dont automatically think Milltek is the only supplier of aftermarket exhausts for the MK5. . .

Right... nothing is easy is it. Haha. I know other brands exist, I can afford some of the nicer things though.  :wink: just probably not the whole thing.

Cat back exhaust wont really give you any more power as such thought mate.

Told you I was ignorant, didn't I. Haha.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 02:10:57 pm »
I wouldn't bother with a Cat back if power is your only incentive... do a pre-cat delete, custom map it, then save your money to stop it (NQSBBK) :happy2:

northyracing

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:36:56 pm »

Does the milltek not come with the reducer to fit onto standard exhaust system

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 11:26:02 pm »
Check out the group buy, Blueflame pipes (rear muffler delete)