Make a donation

Author Topic: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..  (Read 173499 times)

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2009, 09:01:03 am »
all the bits with ya yet johny??????

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2009, 05:23:55 pm »
all the bits with ya yet johny??????

Turned up last night yeah.. Thanks mate..

Engine is apart and being re bored Monday along with the head that will have a light just to be on the safe side..

Engine should be built by the end of next week hopefully and then its just a case of seeing when the parts from america will turn up, should be sending today so if all goes well with customs then its going to be a week or so waiting for that.

The fitting should be easier as the whole front end of the car is off and so fitting the parts will be a doddle with the engine on a stand..

Also, gone for a new Southbend stage 5 clutch kit with solid flywheel, should be more than enough to control the power and torque.. And they have had great sucess in the states with this set up and drag racing!
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2009, 06:24:53 pm »
Have they found what caused the damage yet, before they start rebuilding?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2009, 01:16:24 pm »
Have they found what caused the damage yet, before they start rebuilding?

Not directly, but at the moment the state of the oil that came out of it are a clue.. It looked more like tar! I just think that the car has been ran most probably on cheap fuel, never been serviced since I sold it and this is the result..

Update..

Engine is all apart now and the true extent of the damage to the piston can be seen, pretty shocking really! Amazing that the damage to the bore was so so light, I mean, you could hardly even feel it.. 0.5mm bore out will remove that no problem and I should be good to go with the 83mm bore pistons..

Damaged piston.. (Not for the faint hearted!!)

Strange thing is that the crown of the piston is ok, this leads me to believe that it was more a lack of oil / sh*tty oil problem rather than pre ignition as surely there would be damage to the crown if this was the case?

Head off..

Engine out ready to be stripped down..

Old pistons and rods.. (All the rods look in top condition, amazingly the bearings are all in perfect condition too)

Crank.. (Again, no damage..)

Valve train..

Intake valve.. (all of them look like this, because of the recirculating PCV system, just shows how important it is to run a catch can with this engine)

Block and head ready for machining..

Lots of bits..

The engine should be back from the machine shop Thursday and be fully built up with the new parts by the end of the week.. So thats good news..

One thing that was pretty amazing was the weight difference between the Supertech valves and the standard items.. Huge difference, ill get a figure to compare but a lightweight valve train can only be a good thing..

Also the new rods and pistons are a lot lighter than the old items, this should make the engine really free revving.. Combined with the new lightweight clutch and flywheel im estimating around 8kg off rotating mass to be saved..

Im hoping that the parts from the US should be with me within a week but you can never tell with customs!

Anyways im feeling a lot better about it all now, before it was all doom and gloom, everything that was discovered seemed to be a big negative but now its on the way to recovery..

While the car has been up in the air we have also had a chance to plan some nice chassis bits that should really help out the some what wooly handling of the S3 compared to the Golf.. Everything is on the way so fingers crossed the bits get to me from BSH and I can get the car back on the road soon..

Jonny

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2009, 01:25:36 pm »
 :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

those are some scary scary pics!!

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2009, 01:35:50 pm »
I can't believe the state of the piston, scary sh*t  :surprised:

Glad to see things are not as bad as first thought, things are moving along fast!  :pomppomp:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2009, 01:36:24 pm »
what kind of a knob buys a car like yours and puts crappy fuel and crap oil in it? what a knob  :stupid:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2009, 01:40:29 pm »
I can't believe the state of the piston, scary sh*t  :surprised:

Glad to see things are not as bad as first thought, things are moving along fast!  :pomppomp:

Yep, pretty crazy! Looks like I caught it just in time though, wouldnt have taken long for that piston to have broken up..

what kind of a knob buys a car like yours and puts crappy fuel and crap oil in it? what a knob  :stupid:

Think you have summed it up pretty well there..

I would suggest that you all go and check your oil levels.. Personally I think its been ran almost dry, topped up and then sold to me..

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2009, 01:48:45 pm »
my oils fine, but am worried now as i think i need a catch can!!  :sad1:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2009, 01:57:34 pm »
my oils fine, but am worried now as i think i need a catch can!!  :sad1:

I never ran my Golf with the PCV recirculating back into the intake, after I saw pictures of what it does to the intake valves..

Every 2.0T FSI engine out there will be exactly the same if you have been running the standard PCV system, just the way it is..

Problem is, running a catch can now is a bit late.. Really you need to have the valves out and clean them up as it will definitely hurt performance.. Or run water meth and clean them that way..

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2009, 01:58:44 pm »

I never ran my Golf with the PCV recirculating back into the intake, after I saw pictures of what it does to the intake valves..

Every 2.0T FSI engine out there will be exactly the same if you have been running the standard PCV system, just the way it is..

can it cause any damage or loose performance?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2009, 01:59:11 pm »

can it cause any damage or loose performance?

Just updated my post..  :happy2:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2009, 02:24:12 pm »
I cant wait to see it finished I dont know about you, will be a right weapon...I need me a 600hp S3  :party:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2009, 02:26:38 pm »
what post? can it cause damage or less performance?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2009, 02:28:30 pm »

Problem is, running a catch can now is a bit late.. Really you need to have the valves out and clean them up as it will definitely hurt performance.. Or run water meth and clean them that way..

....Showing my ignorance here but can the valves be taken out and cleaned without taking the engine out of the car? Is it straightforward access via the head?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!