Make a donation

Author Topic: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..  (Read 173475 times)

Offline NEWEY

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
Re: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2009, 02:29:24 pm »
the person you sold it to before must have been a real knob to not look after it. at least its all on its way to being on the road  :driver:

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2009, 02:34:06 pm »
I thought in another thread it was established that a catch can will result in failing an MOT?
is that debris something that can be cleaned every now and again or is it an expensive ball ache to sort out?!
Candy

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2009, 02:34:27 pm »

Every 2.0T FSI engine out there will be exactly the same if you have been running the standard PCV system, just the way it is..

Problem is, running a catch can now is a bit late.. Really you need to have the valves out and clean them up as it will definitely hurt performance.. Or run water meth and clean them that way..

....Showing my ignorance here but can the valves be taken out and cleaned without taking the engine out of the car? Is it straightforward access via the head?

also please explain how to use water meth....

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2009, 02:35:04 pm »
I thought in another thread it was established that a catch can will result in failing an MOT?
is that debris something that can be cleaned every now and again or is it an expensive ball ache to sort out?!

im gussing its a massive job to take them out and clean them!!

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2009, 02:37:51 pm »

Every 2.0T FSI engine out there will be exactly the same if you have been running the standard PCV system, just the way it is..

Problem is, running a catch can now is a bit late.. Really you need to have the valves out and clean them up as it will definitely hurt performance.. Or run water meth and clean them that way..

....Showing my ignorance here but can the valves be taken out and cleaned without taking the engine out of the car? Is it straightforward access via the head?

Yeah, head off.. But lots of things need to come out to get the head off.. I wouldn't suggest that taking the head off is necessary though, im sure there must be another way of cleaning the valves without having to remove them from the head.. Some kind of cleaning agent that you could run through the engine? Not sure.. Certainly the best way would be to remove them but thats not going to be a cheap job..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

matt a

« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2009, 02:43:07 pm »
Hoping this hasn't been mentioned before in the thread, but out of interest, what kind of milesage had the engine covered?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2009, 02:43:55 pm »
Hoping this hasn't been mentioned before in the thread, but out of interest, what kind of milesage had the engine covered?

32k mate..

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2009, 03:18:27 pm »
What about doing an engine flush in the oil while it in for an oil change and some injector cleaner in the tank just before the oil service 

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2009, 03:26:26 pm »
Id check all the oil gallerys for any signs of blockage, cus if the oil hasnt been changed, it may have part blocked/Restricted one of them. Also i would have the Oil pump off and inspected for signs of wear as a 1st priority. Once she's all rebuilt, worth investing in a oil pressure Gauge. As she is heavily modded, its important to know whats going on in that department.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:57:09 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline mohare

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2009, 03:30:35 pm »
Injector cleaner in the tank won't work because the the fuel is injected into the cylider and not the valves. They use Seafoam in the states to clean the valves.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2009, 03:35:43 pm »
we need a seperate thred, discussing how to clean our valves!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2009, 03:56:19 pm »
There isnt anyway of properly de-coking the valves joe without removing them out of the cylinder head. There are products on the market that can help improve them but wont totally shift the burnt Carbon diposits.
Using good quality fuels helps in minimising this stuff from clogging up the exhaust valves, manifold, and exhaust. :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2009, 04:04:34 pm »
Id check all the oil gallerys for any signs of blockage, cus if the oil hasnt been changed, it may have part blocked/Restricted one of them. Also i would have the Oil pump off and inspected for signs of wear as a 1st priority. Once she's all rebuilt, worth investing in a oil pressure Gauge. As she is heavily modded, its important to know whats going on in that department.

The car is having a whole new oil system put on, so that wont be an issue.. Also all of the oil / water gallerys will be checked once the block is back..

Ideally I wanted Oil pressue, Oil temp, Boost and AFR but there is no nice way to mount them in an S3, im going to have to come up with something though..

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2009, 04:27:14 pm »
Perhaps some sort of Top Dash Mount , on the lines of something like the Ford ST/RS?

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2009, 04:28:42 pm »
just put them down the inide of the door pillar, ala subaru/evo  :laugh: