Make a donation

Author Topic: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..  (Read 173433 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..
« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2009, 07:14:19 pm »
REVO used to use the dyno here http://www.stealthracing.co.uk/ but I think they took some stick over it.

I've been to WRC Technologies in Silverstone which is another one they used.  That was a 4wd DD setup.

Jonny I had a look at those WOT boxes a little while back, certainly a neat idea so I'll interested to read your review.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2009, 07:24:44 pm »
REVO used to use the dyno here http://www.stealthracing.co.uk/ but I think they took some stick over it.

I've been to WRC Technologies in Silverstone which is another one they used.  That was a 4wd DD setup.

Jonny I had a look at those WOT boxes a little while back, certainly a neat idea so I'll interested to read your review.

They used a MAHA dyno.. Anyways its just to get an idea on output.. As I always said with the Golf, im quite happy having a printout for 350hp when I know it can pull EASILY on GTI's that claim to have 100 or more HP more than mine.. Its all about how it drives and on the road / track pace certainly isn't directly related to one number..

The WOT box does look cool.. To be fair I haven't managed to find one bad thing said about it.. All the reviews rave about it, so worth giving it a try!  :happy2:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2009, 07:30:57 pm »
I had a read of the install again, I wonder why they don't pick up the clutch switch inside the car alongside the throttle switch.  Difficulty (albeit not too great) will be that it's designed for LHD install.  If you use a grommet behind the battery box you'll probably need to extend the wires inside the car.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2009, 07:37:54 pm »
I had a read of the install again, I wonder why they don't pick up the clutch switch inside the car alongside the throttle switch.  Difficulty (albeit not too great) will be that it's designed for LHD install.  If you use a grommet behind the battery box you'll probably need to extend the wires inside the car.

Well I would imagine that there will be some jiggling round to make it all fit in.. Hopefully they have provided enough length in the wires for it not to be a problem..

I did think that too.. Also, dont like the idea of splicing into the cables, thought there must be a nicer way of doing that?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2009, 08:03:52 pm »
I've never been a fan of cutting into wiring looms.  Soldering is normally the most reliable connection but it's not the most subtle or discreet.

I'm guessing it picks up the signal en-route to the ECU.  The being the case then inside the ECU plug would look neater but would be a little more work.
Stu...

Offline Ryan_Evo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #200 on: August 08, 2009, 09:37:16 pm »

Don't think stealth is 4wd or has the capacity for bigger hp cars.
WRC no longer exists,maha's are ok but tend to overread a little bit.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2009, 09:48:28 pm »
REVO always try to use their dealers dyno's so that they can 'pay' them in file credit rather than real money.
Stu...

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2009, 07:51:57 am »
Jonny

When you car is completed, and making 500-600BHP or so, what are you expecting the performance figures to be - 0-60, 1/4 mile etc, and top speed - Should be ferocious, should it not???
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2009, 11:33:54 am »
Jonny

When you car is completed, and making 500-600BHP or so, what are you expecting the performance figures to be - 0-60, 1/4 mile etc, and top speed - Should be ferocious, should it not???

Hmm.. Not really thought about 0-60 very much to be honest.. Andys S3 with 1500kg / 420hp and no launch control or flat shift did 0-60 in 4.0 so im thinking mine with 150hp more / 300kg less and some other trick bits should be low 3's to be honest..

As for 1/4 mile times im really hoping to be able to drop into the 10's.. Even if its a 10.999 lol..

600hp in almost anything is good for getting on for 200mph..

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2009, 03:06:46 pm »
No way a proper gt3076 is hitting full boost that early on a 2L. Very good ones hit 2 bar at 4000rpm (thats with a .82 housing)
What exhaust housing are you using?

Found out and its the Tial V-Band .63 housing that will be on my turbo..

Offline Ryan_Evo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #205 on: August 10, 2009, 08:09:18 pm »
Explains the quick spool up,ill be interesting to see if you experience any surge.I cannot see 600 with that housing ,probably 520 tops on pump fuel.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: August 10, 2009, 10:11:31 pm »
Explains the quick spool up,ill be interesting to see if you experience any surge.I cannot see 600 with that housing ,probably 520 tops on pump fuel.

Has the anti-surge housing.. We'll see.. I know 525 ish is going to be about the max that the stock fueling can handle so once we know how much boost we need to run to achieve that it should give me a good idea how much head room there is..

There are plenty of options down the line in terms of upgrading the turbo and top end of the engine..

Offline Ryan_Evo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #207 on: August 10, 2009, 11:15:54 pm »
What size are the injectors and what fuel pump is it? Sweet spot for the turbo will be 2 bar held.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2009, 11:20:15 pm »
What size are the injectors and what fuel pump is it? Sweet spot for the turbo will be 2 bar held.

I dont know what the RS4 injectors equate to in terms of conventional cc rated non DI injectors.. I think its around the 850cc mark, but really dont hold me to it.. I do remember reading that a while ago though! Hmm..

Again not sure on the rating of the in tank pump, at the moment its not possible to add an inline pump to the existing system as the voltage drawn by the fuel pump is variable and it would need another system to run the additional pump..

JC douglas in the states made 510WHP with the RS4 injectors and stock in tank pump (smaller than the S3 pump on the GTI by the way) running 100% meth injection which obviously helped.. That was 35psi sustained on a 3071R

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:42 pm »
Update..

Hey all..

All things are coming along nicely, the turbo kit from BSH is being send tomorrow, and should be with me (fingers crossed) by early next week.. There has been a hold up due to a few adjustments I wanted making to aid the fitting and performance of the kit..

Couple of annoying things have been found, not going to make any difference to the build but just pisses me off how people can neglect a car so badly..

This is the oil filter

And the sump..

Notice the gunge that is coming out of the filter, and the sh*t that is sat in the sump! This is after being flushed out, the stuff you can see is residual gunk that has been dislodged! Its almost the consistency of tar, just shows that there is no way the car has been regularly serviced as suggested by myself..

Luckily all of the bearings on the crank and oil pump look mint!

The only damage is some wear on the oil pump chain tensioner, so that will also be changed..

The oil and water gallerys were in perfect condition with no metal particles or blockages.. The oil pump is in perfect condition. Im having the oil cooler changed out of precaution as there is a super fine matrix inside which could easily hold metal particles.. Better to be safe than sorry really, especially as the whole engine is going to be basically new!

Good points!!

Engine is coming along nicely, block is built up with the new pistons / rods and crank and the head is back from being skimmed tomorrow and will be fitted with the new Supertech valve train parts hopefully by the end of the day!

Heres some pics..

New piston and rod combo

Clean..

Machined block.. 0.5mm overbore

Built bottom end..

So coming along pretty well, engine and all ancillaries will be built up tomorrow so that the engine is sealed and can be wheeled in and out of the engine compartment of the car when testing the fit of the turbo kit!

Im really hoping that I should have the car back on the road for running in for my birthday which is the 24th! Will be a nice present from me to me!! haha..