Make a donation

Author Topic: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..  (Read 173353 times)

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
Re: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2009, 09:31:28 pm »
that is shocking mate. how long did that car own the car for??

rest is looking good tho. can't wait to see the arrival of the kit and it bolted onto the engine!  :jumping:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2009, 10:00:59 pm »
sweet pics
out of interest whats the black thing bolted to the bottom of the sump? looks baffle type thing?!?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Ryan_Evo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #212 on: August 11, 2009, 10:26:25 pm »
35psi(2.4bar) is savage on a gt3071,bet he was making peak power at 5000rpm! Yanks tend to use dynojet dyno's which overread,
510whp will be about 418whp on dd or 530bhp.

What size are the injectors and what fuel pump is it? Sweet spot for the turbo will be 2 bar held.

I dont know what the RS4 injectors equate to in terms of conventional cc rated non DI injectors.. I think its around the 850cc mark, but really dont hold me to it.. I do remember reading that a while ago though! Hmm..

Again not sure on the rating of the in tank pump, at the moment its not possible to add an inline pump to the existing system as the voltage drawn by the fuel pump is variable and it would need another system to run the additional pump..

JC douglas in the states made 510WHP with the RS4 injectors and stock in tank pump (smaller than the S3 pump on the GTI by the way) running 100% meth injection which obviously helped.. That was 35psi sustained on a 3071R

Offline revo carl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2009, 04:58:12 pm »
dyno numbers are only ever going to be representative... maha numbers are industry acknowledged flywheel numbers due to the lack of operator input allowing numbers to be as consistent as possible across maha dynos. no chassis dyno is ever going to give an accurate reading that's a given, there are pro's and con's to each and evey dyno. I don't see why you're so cynical.... these motors are different to evos, and they respond differently to turbos also so it's not what the turbo will do as all the turbo does is flow compressed air, the engine does the rest

looking good jonny :)

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2009, 06:08:46 pm »
Terminal speeds at the strip will give good indication of power :happy2:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2009, 06:14:15 pm »
Terminal speeds at the strip will give good indication of power :happy2:

And the expression on the passengers face too..  :grin:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Ryan_Evo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2009, 06:52:40 pm »
dyno numbers are only ever going to be representative... maha numbers are industry acknowledged flywheel numbers due to the lack of operator input allowing numbers to be as consistent as possible across maha dynos. no chassis dyno is ever going to give an accurate reading that's a given, there are pro's and con's to each and evey dyno. I don't see why you're so cynical.... these motors are different to evos, and they respond differently to turbos also so it's not what the turbo will do as all the turbo does is flow compressed air, the engine does the rest

Maha has no mode to lock out functions and i've never heard of it being a industry standard. A turbo is a turbo whatever it's bolted onto,all engines will have bottlenecks but that doesn't affect the capacity of the turbo as a whole to push air.Ok perhaps the 2.0t engine will have bottlenecks as it was never devised as a competition engine.
I totally agree with Luca if you want to disregard dyno numbers alhough i've always found a direct relationship between dd whp figures and terminals.
In a 500bhp 4wd car weighing 1300-1400kg the terminal will be 120-123mph,600bhp your looking at 127-130mph.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2009, 07:03:36 pm »

Maha has no mode to lock out functions and i've never heard of it being a industry standard. A turbo is a turbo whatever it's bolted onto,all engines will have bottlenecks but that doesn't affect the capacity of the turbo as a whole to push air.Ok perhaps the 2.0t engine will have bottlenecks as it was never devised as a competition engine.
I totally agree with Luca if you want to disregard dyno numbers alhough i've always found a direct relationship between dd whp figures and terminals.
In a 500bhp 4wd car weighing 1300-1400kg the terminal will be 120-123mph,600bhp your looking at 127-130mph.

As I have said, the numbers dont mean a huge amount to me.. It would be nice to crack 600hp but there are always going to be doubters, so whats the point shouting about a power or torque figure when its only going to get criticized to death anyways??

Thats why I hardly ever mentioned the power output of my Golf, it wasn't important to me at all.. There a plenty of people out there with far more impressive power figures than me but up to now the closest anyones got in a 1/4 has been half a second off.. Thats what im interested in..

No one can really argue with in gear side by side comparisons or calibrated 1/4 mile times at a FIA track.. That doesn't stop them trying though!

As for the weight saving I have really put some time into going throughout the whole car and pulled together a realistic target for the base weight of the car (without fuel) and its a hell of a lot less than 1300kg! Once the car is up and running that will be the next focus to gain performance.. Certainly worked on the ED30..

Back to the build..

The head was worked on all of today and is now rebuilt with the Supertech parts.. What I didnt mention is that the head has been ported and polished also, not really sure how much of a difference it will make, but it all helps!

The casting for the head was very rough and had quite a few aggressive steps in it so im pretty sure we should see some improvement, how much is going to be impossible to say but its well worth doing while everything is apart..

Should have some pics later of the head..

Offline Ryan_Evo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2009, 07:28:39 pm »
Sounds good jonny,headwork tends to give you power without the need to run high boost,standard or oversize valves?
Your certainly cracking on with it  :happy2:
Without trawling through all of your ed 30 thread what did you get the weight down to? whats the goal for the s3?

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2009, 07:34:36 pm »
on the plus side jonny it won't be a ricer either  :wink:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2009, 07:37:59 pm »
Sounds good jonny,headwork tends to give you power without the need to run high boost,standard or oversize valves?
Your certainly cracking on with it  :happy2:
Without trawling through all of your ed 30 thread what did you get the weight down to? whats the goal for the s3?

Valves were already ordered so unfortunately im staying stock for now.. Im going to try and find myself another S3 head and build that, Ferrea 1mm oversized valve train, ported and polished, cams etc etc.. When those bits are available anyways.. Then I can do some testing to see how much there is to come from the top end..

I got the ED30 down to 1195kg from the stock 1450kg.. (DSG remember, thats 35kg more than the stock box, I weighed one the other day so I can confirm this..)

The S3 I have not yet had on scales but im going off it being 1500kg.. Could be more, could be less.. Ill have to find out.. Anyways I can account for 300kg of weight saving without turning it into a track only car, will still have an interior, which will look better than standard and apart from that everything else you would have to look hard to notice.. Its going to take time as im going to have to have a lot of the parts custom made but the aim is to crack 1200kg.. Depending on the stock weight that may or may not be possible..

Offline Ryan_Evo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2009, 07:44:35 pm »
Sounds good, with 520bhp and 1200kg i reckon you could achieve a low 11 at 124mph.
Looking forward to hearing your results

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2009, 11:41:51 pm »
Sounds good, with 520bhp and 1200kg i reckon you could achieve a low 11 at 124mph.
Looking forward to hearing your results

Well im sure that ill have lots of fun trying, should be interesting for sure.. An 11.5 is the first aim, thats a good realistic bench mark to aim for, then I know it will take LOTS more to get those extra few tenths but thats part of the fun!

Im also having a full carbon floor made for the car, should make a real difference to the drag which is often overlooked.. Will be a very subtle splitter at the front end and a small diffuser at the rear, It will be designed purely to minimize drag and not create downforce..

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2009, 10:04:15 pm »
So when is its first run planned at the Pod Jonny? :smiley:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2009, 10:19:27 pm »
So when is its first run planned at the Pod Jonny? :smiley:

Hmm.. Well going to have to see really.. Would love to still make it for the next planned forum meet, early September I think?