Make a donation

Author Topic: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..  (Read 173248 times)

Offline RobsCupra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2009, 06:45:54 pm »
What an epic thread! Its kept me entertained for half an hour and I'll definitely be checking back regularly!  :happy2:
MK2 Leon Cupra - Red with a few bits and bobs...!!

Offline 08micsta

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2009, 07:34:19 pm »
Johnny this is simply amazing  :notworthy:

I showed this thread to the tech's at Audi Centre Cape Town who I deal with very closely and they just shook their heads in a crazed manner.

So please understand you have most of Audi and the Audi forums in South Africa watching to too.  :star:

Mike
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Sugen

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #272 on: August 21, 2009, 02:41:08 pm »
Johnny this is simply amazing  :notworthy:

I showed this thread to the tech's at Audi Centre Cape Town who I deal with very closely and they just shook their heads in a crazed manner.

So please understand you have most of Audi and the Audi forums in South Africa watching to too.  :star:

Mike

LOL very tru

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: August 25, 2009, 06:05:04 pm »
any updates johny????

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: August 25, 2009, 06:11:17 pm »
any updates johny????

Should have some more pics etc later tonight..

Engine is all together now, clutch arrived today, waiting on two boxes from customs, one has literally just cleared and im hoping the other should too today! If thats the case then it can all get started tomorrow.. Shouldn't take much longer than a couple of days if it all fits how were expecting it to!..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #275 on: August 25, 2009, 06:31:14 pm »
Good news jonny, you must be a little bit excited??

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #276 on: August 25, 2009, 06:47:09 pm »
Good news jonny, you must be a little bit excited??

Errr.. Just a bit haha..  :grin:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: August 25, 2009, 09:54:17 pm »
Bit of a big one this time..

So its all coming along nicely!! The turbo kit should all be with me tomorrow.. (fingers crossed) I have also had quite a few more parts arrive over the last few days..

The engine is now built up minus the intake manifold, that’s staying off until the engine is in the car, just to avoid any damage etc..

The engine is basically brand new now! VW/Audi really know how to charge, the cost of the engine build parts, so that’s bolts, seals, gaskets etc etc etc has come to almost a grand, not cheap!! The cam belt kit was £220! Lol.. Anyways, at least I know that im starting off with a solid motor!!

A pic of the old bits (minus the water pump) Just shows how much has been replaced!

More engine bits..

New water pump..

I also went for a new cam follower for the High pressure fuel pump, the last one was fine to be honest but for the money its worth having a brand new one in there..

Engine build progress pics..

And the build motor!! Wheyyyy!!..

The OEM RS4 FSI injectors were sent off to ADS for testing. The results came back and the injectors were all within spec from Audi, but were cleaned anyway and are now 100% perfect, good to know really.. Its not cheap to test but certainly cheaper than building the engine again if there was a problem!

The THS cooler is now mounted up to the crash structure, it looks and fits great.. Of course im running without the A/C rad but that fits with no problems also.. Its going to be interesting to see the results going from an OEM S3 cooler to the THS cooler, obviously the S3 cooler is pretty good as standard.. The THS cooler is rater to 600hp though, so it was worth having whilst all the car is apart!

Some comparison shots of the S3 to THS cooler too, not sure anyone has these so good for those that are interested..

Also the N2MB Wot Box arrived.. The installation instructions from N2MB are a bit ghetto, far too much solder and electrical tape involved if you ask me.. So were going to make sure that its installed to the same level that all of the rest car is being built to..

The solid shift cable end bushings arrived from 42 Draft Designs, really nicely made.. They replace the stock cable end bushing and converts it to a solid bush. This should really tighten up the feel of the shift.. Every little helps..

VWR Race engine mounts.. Im also running the solid lower mount, when I say solid I mean billet aluminum pressed into the subframe, so pretty harsh and not really recommended for road use.. I used the same mount on my ED30 and it was fantastic!

And lastly is the Southbend Stage 5 Clutch/flywheel kit.. This kit is rated to 500+ft/lbs so should be man enough for the job for sure.. Lots of people out there are running this kit.. All of the seriously tuned 2.0T FSI cars out there are having zero problems at all.. Almost stock feel but once its out it grips like hell!

Now for the really tasty stuff!!

The turbo kit should be with me tomorrow.. Phil and Justin from BSH have really pulled out all the stops to get things manufactured for me. The kit has had quite a few adjustments made to hopefully make it an easy fit for the S3. Remember, the kit was originally designed with a LHD 2WD 2.0T FSI in mind, im fitting it to a RHD 4WD car, so there is far less space and therefore a few things need to be changed! For sure there will be some work involved in fitting to the S3 even with the adjustments that have been made but how much im really not sure..

These are some pics that were sent over to me from BSH detailing the fitment of the manifold and wastegate and downpipe so we can get an idea of the orientation when its going to be on the S3..

As you can see its really nice stuff.. I can't wait to take a closer look at the parts for myself!!

The BSH shop GTI complete with built engine and this same turbo spec and manifold just made 457WHP & 370WTQ on a fairly conservative 24psi tune. That converts to roughly 525HP & 425Ft/Lbs using a safe 15% calculation.. Thats a pretty good starting point to aim for my car, then we can see from there.. Im planning on running 30+ Psi, that 6 or more psi increase will make a HUGE difference to the figures for sure..

Of course there is a HUGE amount of speculation surrounding quoting figures from a dyno.. That’s the reason I didn’t make anything of the figures that my ED30 made when that was Dyno’d.. It was 350hp.. On the low side for sure, which im really not bothered about.. The car was WAY faster than any other GTI or FWD 2.0T FSI that it came up against, no matter what figures they happened to be ‘making’.. I think the important thing is that the car drives well.. Figures are interesting and give a good ballpark but there is no substitute for ACTUAL comparative performance side-by-side..

The dashed line is actually the power and torque figures from the car running the stock intercooler compared to the solid coloured lines where the car is running with the new BSH cooler, a solid 20WHP and 35WTQ increase from that alone..

You notice the dips in power and torque around 4800rpm, this is due to the map on the car, something that BSH are working with there tuner to get around.. I don’t see any issue when mine is running with the proven Revo Stage 3 software..

That’s about it for now.. Hopefully I should be able to get some pics of the complete turbo kit up soon and then all being well the next update will be my first impressions of the car whilst im running it all in!!

Offline matty_jetta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #278 on: August 25, 2009, 10:08:19 pm »
Wow Jonny you really dont mess about!  :drinking:

Will you be bringing the s3 to Edition?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: August 25, 2009, 10:11:35 pm »
Wow Jonny you really dont mess about!  :drinking:

Will you be bringing the s3 to Edition?

I really hope so mate! That would be the first show that I could take it to really so thats the aim!!  :happy2:

Offline matty_jetta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #280 on: August 25, 2009, 10:19:10 pm »
Well i cirtainly have my fingers crossed, would love to see it.

Will it be on those orange rims? or do you have something else up your sleeve?

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: August 25, 2009, 10:24:08 pm »
WOW, coming along really nicely now...hope you have the rest of the parts soon...sound clip expected on completion  :evilgrin:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:43 pm »
Well i cirtainly have my fingers crossed, would love to see it.

Will it be on those orange rims? or do you have something else up your sleeve?

There Red, but for sure a bright red.. lol.. Yeah think it'll be on them for now, I have some plans for wheels but im going to have to wait a little while!!  :scared:

WOW, coming along really nicely now...hope you have the rest of the parts soon...sound clip expected on completion  :evilgrin:

Oh yes, there will be plenty of video etc..

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #283 on: August 25, 2009, 10:31:58 pm »
Wow Jonny. Looks very nice. I hope you know a fantastic stainless steel welder in case the exhaust manifold needs to be altered at all.  Would be a shame to have to butcher it, but do you think this is a possibility?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: August 25, 2009, 10:41:28 pm »
Wow Jonny. Looks very nice. I hope you know a fantastic stainless steel welder in case the exhaust manifold needs to be altered at all.  Would be a shame to have to butcher it, but do you think this is a possibility?

No way the manifold needs touching. The only difference from the FWD to 4WD at that end is the prop and haldex, that would only affect the downpipe and dump tube..