Make a donation

Author Topic: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..  (Read 173330 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..
« Reply #300 on: September 01, 2009, 07:36:29 pm »
Hi Jonny,

Regarding the manifold - from that angle it looks like it could obstruct the intake system?!?? :confused:

Is there space there to get it past?
Golf R gone.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #301 on: September 01, 2009, 07:54:36 pm »
Hi Jonny,

Regarding the manifold - from that angle it looks like it could obstruct the intake system?!?? :confused:

nah the turbo will hang quite a bit further down...the compressor housing needs to clear that (and it will) so the intake tube/hose shouldn't be a problem as its smaller!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: September 01, 2009, 07:58:26 pm »
Hi Jonny,

Loads of room, enough to have a 3.5" intake system, which is what im planning for in the future..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: September 02, 2009, 02:50:09 pm »
Ok so all of the parts are FINALLY with me! And we have managed to get the car back on its wheels.. Its really nice to see it coming along so well! This really does feel like the final stretch now..

Ok so first of all a few more bits from the states arrived..

GT3076R turbo with anti-surge .60 AR compressor cover and Tial V-band SS .63 exhaust housing..

The beauty of this turbo is that I can make only a few changes to it and it will be able to flow a huge amount more, that should get me to my goal of 600hp running moderate boost which is the aim..

Of course it would make sense to try some of the bits first time round but I need to start somewhere. We need to baseline the car and understand what can be improved on before we start improving if that makes sense!!

Rather nice looking turbo and manifold!!

Tial 38m MVS wastegate and dump tube

Southbend Stage 5 Clutch

And flywheel fitted to the motor

Injectors back from ADS all cleaned up

Nice cleaned up throttle body, this was full of oil..

Crash bar lightening! Work in progress..

A/C compressor removed and the A/C compressor / Alternator bracket cut down, saved 1.2KG on the bracket alone! Compressor is a further 8kg! Add in all of the pipe work, radiator and gubbins and it comes close to 20kg saved from the full A/C removal..

So now it was time to clean out the engine bay and get the car back on its wheels!

Engine bay before..

And after..

Also a big thanks to Matt at VWR for supplying me with a set of helpers for the dampers, with the short motorsport springs it was becoming a problem..

Dampers before.. (problem is pretty easy to spot here)

Top mounts, quite a bit of corrosion on these but all cleaned up now!

And all built back up!

Starting to look like a car again now!!

Pretty low!! Haha..

Unfortunately whilst that work has been on going we have discovered another lot of bodge work, not naming any names but its hardly good..

Connector glued onto the MAF after the clip being broken, nice! 8 broken connecters found in total, pure lazyness!

Oil return line from the turbo badly kinked..

Anyways im kind of glad to be honest, no I know its all going to be perfect! So I don’t need to worry about all those little bits!

Im heading down to see the car later on today and the guys are planning on test fitting the engine complete with clutch/flywheel, gearbox, transfer box, turbo, manifold & lines etc into the bay to check for clearance on the downpipe and dump tube..

For sure there will be some work required to make it fit but its all looking good!!

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: September 02, 2009, 03:12:21 pm »
Looks brilliant mate, i want  :drool:

When i first read this post and saw the problems you'd discovered i knew that in the end you would feel better knowing that you'd gone over everything and done it properly anyway...

The guy who had it must have been a tool  :rolleye:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #305 on: September 02, 2009, 03:24:32 pm »
Some very nice hardware there mate.

That MAF looks a bit dirty too Jonny - New one going in?
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #306 on: September 02, 2009, 03:26:16 pm »
Some very nice hardware there mate.

That MAF looks a bit dirty too Jonny - New one going in?

Yup.. There isn't much that has been re used!! lol..

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #307 on: September 02, 2009, 03:35:00 pm »
I bet the local parts dealer are rubbing their hands when you come rolling by  :happy2:

As a side note I popped into my local TPS this afternoon to pick up a few bits and happened to notice on the wall board/discuss with the parts guy their monthly revenue target - It's a whopping £13k per month VAT Exclusive.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #308 on: September 02, 2009, 03:36:50 pm »
I bet the local parts dealer are rubbing their hands when you come rolling by  :happy2:

As a side note I popped into my local TPS this afternoon to pick up a few bits and happened to notice on the wall board/discuss with the parts guy their monthly revenue target - It's a whopping £13k per month VAT Exclusive.

Teesside TPS has met there target this month I bet then! ha..

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #309 on: September 02, 2009, 05:18:39 pm »
Looking great, I am looking forward to seeing the final results, might even pop up to the pod to see it in action for its maiden voyage :congrats:
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #310 on: September 02, 2009, 05:47:32 pm »
Looking great, I am looking forward to seeing the final results, might even pop up to the pod to see it in action for its maiden voyage :congrats:

+1

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Ryan_Evo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #311 on: September 02, 2009, 06:48:01 pm »
looking good , can i ask a ittle more about how the turbo will flow more with small changes?

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #312 on: September 02, 2009, 07:07:13 pm »
jonny when you planning to sell this thing ?????? :laugh: :laugh: so i can start saving !!!!!!!! :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #313 on: September 02, 2009, 07:19:07 pm »
looking good , can i ask a ittle more about how the turbo will flow more with small changes?

Exhaust housings, billet compressor wheels etc etc..

jonny when you planning to sell this thing ?????? :laugh: :laugh: so i can start saving !!!!!!!! :happy2:

If its worth while me selling it then I probably would..

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #314 on: September 02, 2009, 08:34:43 pm »
Some more progress..

So I went to check out the car earlier. The turbo and manifold and on the engine along with the clutch/flywheel and gearbox and transfer box..

Clearance from the exhaust housing of the turbo to the transfer box is pretty small, only about 12-15mm so were having to protect the transfer box.

To get around the problem I decided to use the new product from Zircotec, a flexible ceramic matting which is way more effective than the other metallic heat barriers.. Not cheap but it works unbelievably well and is only 0.25mm thick!

The whole of the transfer box facing the turbo will be wrapped along with the intake pipe which will sit above the manifold and finally the gear linkage cables and other small parts that could be damaged with heat..

The plan for the near future is to have the manifold, dump tube, exhaust housing and downpipe all ceramic coated, this will not only help to control the heat build up around the turbo but will retain heat inside the turbo and exhaust which should really help response..

When that’s all happening the turbo will be upgraded by Owen Developments to full WRC spec to cope with the extra heat.. And to gain some performance over the standard Garrett unit, there is lots that can be done!

Anyways some more pics of the turbo and manifold on the engine..

Ready for the engine!

Almost there lol..

And finally in the car for its first test fitment!

Good bit of news is that the turbo intake pipe fits with the brake master cylinder, something that all of the LHD turbo kits have needed work to achieve when fitted to a RHD car. Luckily we made lots of measurements to get around this problem and BSH have supplied the pipe and it fits! ONLY just but its going to be ok..

The only problem really is the downpipe, because of the prop on the S3 there is very little room and so the downpipe will need a fair bit of work, that’s the job for tomorrow!!