Make a donation

Author Topic: Another BMW Thread...  (Read 2685 times)

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Another BMW Thread...
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:53:03 am »
So...   ...I sold the Golf GT TDi last weekend and have picked up a 2004 BMW 320td Sport. It’s the Compact (hence 320td not 320d) with ///M Styling, sport suspension, bumpers, thicker steering wheel, full leather sport seats, etc. Managed to find a nice example for sale close to home, not too many miles (for a German diesel) and at an excellent price.

I had a 320d saloon 3 years ago and loved it. Excellent for the amount of motorway miles I do and fairly frugal (best was 700 miles on one tank). I wasn’t massively into the modding scene (engine/power-wise) back then so ran it completely standard. Body-wise I had it on Sportline Eibach’s, EBC brakes, M-Tech 2 Bumpers, etc, etc.

NOW I’d like to add some power to the BMW, I had the Golf running at 180 bhp so it feels a bit slower at the min. I’m up in Scotland and have heard good things about EcoTune, a company through in Glasgow/West. They offer decat pipes, stainless exhausts and remaps for the E46 320d but I’m not so sure how much different the Compact is. I already have an STS from Shark performance so will probably go with them for the remap.

My questions to you all are;

Have you owned a diesel BMW before/presently?
Is there a BMW equivelant to VCDS? Have you modified a 320d at all?
What are the weak points to the M47N engine? Turbo, Clutch, etc?
Will a 330d clutch fit the 320d?
Anyone have, or know of an EGR Delete Pipe?
Have you replaced the swirl flaps yourself? Is it an easy job for an amateur?

I appreciate this is firstly a Golf forum, and a GTI forum at that. But I know there are a few people on here that have a foot in both VW and BMW camps. There are also a few tuners on here that I’d love to hear from. I will be starting to use a BMW forum (recommendations for E46, diesel, UK, etc) but think I’ll stick around here too.  :drinking:

Thanks (in advance) for all your comments.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:12:15 pm by dodds-gttdi »

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: Another BMW Thread...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:51:29 am »
136 BHP?

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 11:55:45 am »
136 BHP?

Sorry mate' I meant the M47N, 150 bhp 6 speed. The 136 bhp stopped when the facelift came in (end of 2001-early 2002). However my old 320d was a 52 plate (December '02) 150 bhp but with the 5 speed box. It made for some excellent acceleration and didn't seem too high revs cruising at 70~ mph.

I'll get round to replying to your PM this afternoon.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:13:31 pm by dodds-gttdi »

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 12:06:28 pm »
Dont bother with hardware mods, not worth the gains. Have tuned a large number of these over the years and the exhaust/intake mods really dont make any real difference. A good map will see 190+bhp and 320 ftlb of torque.

Offline GTImike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
  • Back in a Golf - Mk7 R
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 12:16:43 pm »
I've had a few BM's in my time and a decent enough forum is bmwland

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/

All the best with your new ride, FWIW I always felt that my BM's felt slower than similar powered front wheel drivers due to the effects of being pushed along with the rear wheels rather than pulled with the fronts if that makes sense? The only one that did FEEL fast was my last, a very rare 330ci AC Schnitzer supercharged model!  :driver:

2008/58 Tornado Red Edition 30 (No. 1853) 5dr DSG - Gone but never forgotten
2017/66 Tornado Red Golf R 5D - Lasted 6 months before being sold on
Still have a TFSI in the family - 2009/59 Audi S3 8P facelift Stage 2 tuned
Oh and a Mk1 Golf GTI cabriolet

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »
The M47 seems to be less of a time bomb than the N47 with the timing chain issues.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:26:11 pm »
The M47 seems to be less of a time bomb than the N47 with the timing chain issues.

So I'm hearing. Sticking with the old school diesel for now as it's nice and cheap.  :wink:

FWIW I always felt that my BM's felt slower than similar powered front wheel drivers due to the effects of being pushed along with the rear wheels rather than pulled with the fronts if that makes sense?

I know the feeling. My Golf was much more refined and smoother, even in power delivery. But the BM has a different feel altogether. I quite like the 'being pushed along' feel. I'm aiming to bring the BM up to about the same power as the Golf then improve the brakes/handling to match. The Compact has a quickrack as standard and the Sport has stiff (enough) suspension already. 300mm front brakes and 294mm rear brakes will be fine (size-wise). But I'll give them fresh dot 5 fluid and better pads I think. If I do end up modding it I'll put a wee concise thread up for general info.  :smiley:

I take on-board what you're saying
Dont bother with hardware mods, not worth the gains. Have tuned a large number of these over the years and the exhaust/intake mods really dont make any real difference. A good map will see 190+bhp and 320 ftlb of torque.

I take on-board what you're saying. However a decat, or ever full stainless system will cost sub-£300, as mentioned above I don't intend on fitting too many harware mods, although a remap is definitely on the cards.  :driver:

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 10:21:52 pm »
To let you all know I wet for a 2004 320td Sport Compact. 150 bhp with a lovely full black leather interior. :smile:

Already or stuck into it with a full inspection 2, new control arm bushes, new rear tyres (Hankook Evo V12's) and a gearbox oil change. This weekend I managed to de-flap the inlet manifold and clean out the EGR. Once I can get that coded out I'll disable it or install a Delete pipe and hopefully head for a remap. :-)

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 02:17:28 pm »
Nice progress, your ECU will be the EDC16 so mapping out the EGR is relatively simple  :wink:

Offline campbell511

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 12:51:29 pm »
Hi mate,

Hope im not too late in finding this post.

Ecotune in Hillington are the only place to take your 320d.

In regards to the tuning i shall let the dyno graphs do the talking.

These are availble to view on Ecotune facebook.

First is a copy of a 320d graph software only.

The second graph was a customer complained of flat spots and smoke. On that graph the original file was flashed for diagnostics then a tuned file was applied. Both the competitor file and the ecotune file included the application of a Ecotune downpipe which highlights the gains possible from hardware. The ecotune downpipe was developed along with the software.

Cheers,
Campbell