Make a donation

Author Topic: DAB Aerial Mounting  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
DAB Aerial Mounting
« on: March 20, 2013, 10:05:36 am »
Hi guys/gals

I'm planning on fitting my DNX521DAB at the weekend and just wanted to check with anyone who has a DAB HU about where to mount the DAB aerial?

I don't have a DAB roof aerial. I assume it would need to be in a visible area either on the dash or windscreen?

Thanks
Kalpesh
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: DAB Aerial Mounting
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 12:35:06 pm »
I fitted a DAB roof mounted aerial which take 30-60 mins which offers the best reception and looks almost identical to the VW FM version.

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 12:52:50 pm »
If its a stick on winscreen DAB aerial, then it needs to go in top LH corner.
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:59:07 pm »
I fitted a DAB roof mounted aerial which take 30-60 mins which offers the best reception and looks almost identical to the VW FM version.

Wouldn't know where to start with that. Also the DAB aerial in the box seems to be the stick on the windscreen version.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 02:00:12 pm »
If its a stick on winscreen DAB aerial, then it needs to go in top LH corner.

What's the best way to route it?

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:37:23 pm »
watch you tube video of fitting a parrot bluetooth kit.
The DAB wire needs to hide behind the A pillar trim. Prise out the airbag label, remove screw underneath, gently prise cover partially off, remove grey dash trim in door shut to reveal gap behind glove box, pass a stiff wire thro gap, tape on DAB lead to end & pull thro over top of glove bo, tidy things up, test, re-fit trim, have large beer  :star:
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 05:20:35 pm »
The DAB wire needs to hide behind the A pillar trim. Prise out the airbag label, remove screw underneath, gently prise cover partially off, remove grey dash trim in door shut to reveal gap behind glove box, pass a stiff wire thro gap, tape on DAB lead to end & pull thro over top of glove bo, tidy things up, test, re-fit trim, have large beer  :star:

Thanks for the description, hope the DAB cable is long enough :happy2:

Will check out the vid.

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:15:29 pm »
I saw a wee gadget online somewhere which seems to get rid of the problem of needing a DAB aerial, it was a small box which you tuck in behind the stereo, your original FM aerial plugs into the new box and out the other side of the box come two cables. One is DAB and one is FM. The wee box must be a converter of some sort. I've no idea if they are any good but it would solve the problem of buying and fitting a new aerial.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 05:08:26 pm »
I saw a wee gadget online somewhere which seems to get rid of the problem of needing a DAB aerial, it was a small box which you tuck in behind the stereo, your original FM aerial plugs into the new box and out the other side of the box come two cables. One is DAB and one is FM. The wee box must be a converter of some sort. I've no idea if they are any good but it would solve the problem of buying and fitting a new aerial.

That sounds great if it works ok. Anyone else heard of this?

Offline MikeA

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 05:46:10 pm »

Worth disconnecting the battery, its safer if you have airbags in the A pillar.

I did the same route when installing my dab aerial on the windscreen and it works well.
Current Mk7 2016 5dr GTi Clubsport Edition 40 DSG - No. 403
Tornado Red, Dynamic Chassis Control, Rear View Camera and 19" Brescia Alloys

Previous MK5 2007 3dr Edition 30 Manual - No. 376
Black, Rear parking sensors, Winter pack

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 06:04:30 pm »
The DAB wire needs to hide behind the A pillar trim. Prise out the airbag label, remove screw underneath, gently prise cover partially off, remove grey dash trim in door shut to reveal gap behind glove box, pass a stiff wire thro gap, tape on DAB lead to end & pull thro over top of glove bo, tidy things up, test, re-fit trim, have large beer  :star:

Worth disconnecting the battery, its safer if you have airbags in the A pillar.

I did the same route when installing my dab aerial on the windscreen and it works well.

Good point about the battery. Good to hear the windscreen aerial works well :happy2:

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 01:33:57 am »

Here you go, the top two items.

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/dab_car_aerials.html

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 08:26:15 am »

Here you go, the top two items.

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/dab_car_aerials.html

Great find, this is just what I've been after.  My 2005 car has no external mounted aerial and I didn't want anything stuck on my windscreen.  Thanks.