Make a donation

Author Topic: My Golf R Stage 2+  (Read 9921 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: My Golf R Stage 2+
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 11:23:32 pm »
Hi Chris, good to see you over here at as well as the R Forum :happy2:

Some absolutely stunning pics there. :drool:

The chaps over here are a good bunch and you'll find some useful info. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 03:39:33 am »
As said, great pics, but how the hell did youngest it onto that dirt track without so much as a spec of crud? Cling film??

Offline C4MKV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 08:46:16 am »
Hi Chris, good to see you over here at as well as the R Forum :happy2:

Some absolutely stunning pics there. :drool:

The chaps over here are a good bunch and you'll find some useful info. :smiley:

Hi John, yep I was here before I went over to the R Forum, from when I had my MK5 (the details are still in my sig!) It's still available for sale and the ad is on the For Sale section here: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,63068.0.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:34:58 am by C4MKV »

Offline C4MKV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 08:48:07 am »
As said, great pics, but how the hell did youngest it onto that dirt track without so much as a spec of crud? Cling film??

Haha, I spent nearly an hour cleaning it before heading out on the 50 mile drive to the top of the moors, then once I found a good spot to take some shots, got out and saw that it was filthy again, even with the roads being pretty dry all the way! Had to get out the microfibre cloths and give it a quick going over first!

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 10:17:48 am »
Looks amazing ! Love that colour soooo much aswell, the wheels look spot on too!

I think those pics have persuaded me on my next car
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Scaff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 04:24:34 pm »
Lovely looking motor you have there  :happy2:

Offline mattgolfgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 01:01:31 pm »
Car looks fantastic mate, and those pics are stunning!! :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 04:33:29 pm »
Great pics, and a great car!  :wink:

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 06:01:51 pm »
Great car you've got there! :happy2:

Offline C4MKV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 09:40:58 pm »
Thanks everyone! Heading to Statllers tomorrow to have a GIAC DSG Stage 2 remap done, and a Revo intake fitted, and getting it on the dyne to see what power its putting out. I'll be sure to report back with the findings!

Offline Scaff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 09:52:32 pm »
bet you cant wait!, look forward to hearing the results

Offline teesee

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 11:56:29 pm »
Some great shots of a great looking car. Definitely want one of these next!

Subscribed.

Offline C4MKV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 11:11:54 pm »
So today I popped down the M1 from York to Sheffield for my first visit to Statllers to have a GIAC DSG Stage 2 remap done, a set of S2T aluminium paddle shifters fitted, and swapped the VWR intake that was on the car when I bought it for a Revo intake.

Firstly can I just say what a great guy Steve at Statllers is, made me feel so welcome right from the start and took me out in the car to get a feel for it beforehand, made me a few cups of tea and got to see the work going on in the workshop and watched a before and after dyno run. Can thoroughly recommend them for any work you need doing!

On my previous car, a Mk5 GTI, I had an ITG Maxogen induction kit fitted, which as many will know is fairly loud with it's open cone filter, and to be honest I was missing that suction sound that wasn't as present with the VWR filter. The new Revo intake is very similar to the Maxogen, apart from it looks a lot tidier with it being a one piece system instead of lots of hoses clamped together. I had a before and after dyno run and it pulled 6 more bhp with the Revo intake, maxing out at 345bhp IIRC. Not quite the 360bhp quoted by APR for a Stage 2+ but not all that bad none-the-less.

I had the GIAC DSG remap done for a few reasons, firstly I found when stopping and starting in traffic it was pretty jerky going from a standstill to a crawling pace and now it feels far smoother. The shifts are faster and it has also added 40ft/lb of torque which is really noticeable when dropping down to 4th on the motorway to pull an overtake, the car just launches away leaving everything else at a standstill! Steve took me out for a quick demo afterwards to get a feel for it and he set it into launch control mode. I have done 2 launches beforehand but this time... oh my god, it is fast! Immensely fast!! It's the first time I've felt my insides being sent backwards with the G-force, like on a rollercoaster, nearly swallowed my tongue! Beforehand when doing a launch it felt like there was a slight delay before the power kicked in, but now with the remap raising the revs on the launch you get a massive surge of power right from the beginning, and for the first time I felt some wheelspin too, then it just goes like a fu*king rocket, stronger than any car I've driven before (and I've driven Aston's, Ferrari's etc!)

All in all, money well spent, and a big grin on my face!

I'll post a few photos of the new intake and the S2T paddles in a few days if anyone is interested.

Oh, and guess who popped in for a chat whilst I was there, Mr Hurdy himself! Was good to meet the guy for the first time in person and chat about all things Golf!

Chris
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:54:50 pm by C4MKV »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 12:17:28 am »
Glad you are happy Chris. Good to meet you today. I knew you'd love the DSG map as it is basically how the gearbox really should be from the factory. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 07:05:37 am »
That's a lovely car.  Love the mods, wheels especially suit the blue.

:happy2:
2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311