Make a donation

Author Topic: Made a huge gaff  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
Made a huge gaff
« on: March 30, 2013, 05:00:15 pm »
I insured my sons car on his behalf as he was away with the forces, anyway he has been pulled by the police who said his car is not insured, he has a producer as the company is closed now. On checking I have put one wrong number on the policy. Does this mean I have now caused my son to end with points on his license for no insurance?

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
Re: Made a huge gaff
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 05:03:05 pm »
Is it massively different? Or very similar? M or N for instance. Depends on the policeman though probably

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

DF2008

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:05:14 pm »
Hi,

Hope PC Plod looks kindly on you as this seems a genuine error. I can belive your the first or last.

Explain the situation that he was away in the forces and hopefully they will see sense.

All the best

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf GT 140
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:05:48 pm »
I put NDJ instead of YDJ and the thing is that the car comes back as a ford focus when I have just checked even though it says BMW on the insurance policy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:08:02 pm by Trekmeister »

DF2008

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 05:13:38 pm »
Not a massive cock up so may well be OK. Would be more worried about an insurance claim if you had a ding as they would drop you like a stone. Get it sorted ASAP you never know what plonker is behind you!!!

Offline olufsen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 05:17:49 pm »
That's a cruel error to make, it's only one digit... however it still isn't insured :( I would stop using the car until you can get insurance for it.
Then plead with the copper that it's a genuine mistake; as you have no connection with the car you did insure... good luck mate.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=vvpla4rtj85me37uqkf9953tkh&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 05:19:56 pm »
I would like to think they they will see it as a genuine mistake...

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf GT 140
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 05:20:46 pm »
That's a cruel error to make, it's only one digit... however it still isn't insured :( I would stop using the car until you can get insurance for it.
Then plead with the copper that it's a genuine mistake; as you have no connection with the car you did insure... good luck mate.

I am hoping the insurance company will make the change but he has to produce his documents within 7 days. I am surprised the car is insured as a BMW although on the database that registration is for a ford focus. I would have thought they would have picked that up? Anyway an anxious wait until Tuesday when the insurance company opens up again.

Offline Fletch..gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 06:32:51 pm »
A mistake is just that ,a mistake . You have paid for your insurance at least unlike some
GOOD LUCK  on Tuesday

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 08:43:39 pm »
My other half had the wrong reg on her insurance for two years,they paid out when she had an accident so I doubt very much that the old bill will punish you's.

Offline olufsen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 09:12:18 pm »
I didn't quite understand the Focus BMW thing.
Does the policy actually state the correct car?  If so, I'd say you are in far better standing. :happy2:

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf GT 140
Re: Re: Re: Made a huge gaff
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »
I didn't quite understand the Focus BMW thing.
Does the policy actually state the correct car?  If so, I'd say you are in far better standing. :happy2:
The policy states it is a 2007 BMW 320d es although doing a check the plate belongs to a focus c-max. Looking at the insurance database online it states that reg is insured and states its a BMW 320d es even though that actual plate isnt its from a focus.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 10:11:39 pm »
You'll be fine. I had a similar scenario with a car a few years ago that had the numbers *225*** on the front plates and *255*** on the back plates. When I phoned up to arrange the insurance I looked out of my window and quoted the, incorrect, rear registration. It was only months later when I realised I could never ever remember the registration of that particular car that I realised the front/rear number plates were different. :rolleye:
 After checking details in my log book I realised the insurance details were incorrect and phoned them to change it. They informed me that my car would have still been insured as it was a genuine mistake and the actual details (make, model etc) of car insured was correct.  :smiley:

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 08:54:50 am »
Once you call the insurance and have it changed they will send you a new cover letter. That cover letter will be dated after your son being pulled obviously.

You need a new cover letter and ask them to send you a letter explaining your son would have still been insured should he have had an accident.

This will take more than 7days so pop into your local station and they will extend this time for you.

Offline dokez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 11:27:37 am »
It happened to me, mistaken with a N instead of M. I had to go home whilst the pc plod followed me to show them my documents.   They saw it was a genuine error and i had to phone my insurance in front of them to correct the error.

So you should be ok.