Make a donation

Author Topic: MK6 GTI - My observations  (Read 25231 times)

Phil Mcavity

Re: MK6 GTI - My observations
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2009, 08:10:42 pm »
Hello guys

Its ironic how I noticed this thread today after spending most of the morning selling MK6 GTI's to unsuspecting people.  :rolleye:

I was at Volkswagen this morning discussing consumables etc (Liqui Moly) and could resist but to take a look at the mk6 GTI.

I think you people are all mad.  :congrats:

Firstly the bickering is hilarious... But if you look behind the skin the MK6 is not a MK5.5. It isnt even near. If you want to argue with me then please call me... Dont post it here. Or PM me.

The technological advancements in comfort (Unique door seal design only seen on the MK6, quietest in its class, more rear legroom and much higher quality). Tap the back panel of a MK5. It sounds hollow... Even the dashboard and then tap the MK6. There is a huge difference.

I havnt driven the GTI but I have taken the 1.4TSI for a spin and if this little engine is anything to go by then the MK6 must be well impressive. I deal closely with tuning companies here and many are saying they are getting 170kw on the Dyno... The car is only advertised with 155kw!

The car has a completely new engine design and is IMO aimed at a slightly "posher" market than the MK5 is aimed at. I dont mean this in a horrible way but its really thrown itself in with Mercs, BMW's and Jags. Sorta makes me wonder if VW is trying to lose that "peoples car" image. Its price really isnt much. Look at the prices of the MK5 when it was launched and compare it to the MK6. There is not much difference and considering the advancements made between the cars its really no more expensive (Or at least this is the case here in South Africa).

I personally love the look of the MK6 (but would rather have a Scirocco). I also like the way VW has headed with the new TSI engines and to be quite honest I still vote the MK5 as the real king. As Clarkson said many moons ago... The MK5 GTI has put the fun back into the GTI.

In my opinion the MK6 is simply a highly revised version of the MK5. But the fun is still there... Isnt that the whole point of a GTI? The perfect allrounder?

And with regards to the RS being a rival to the MK6 GTI.... lol..... What nonsense. Thats like comparing a Porsche to a Koenigsegg... They are designed to do the same thing... But its how they do those things that is so different.

Mike
  :popcornsoda: oh dear

R32UK

« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2009, 08:11:46 pm »
Just to add to micsta's post...

It was said how expensive the mk6 is but you do now get the center armrest for free, as well as the mfsw, tinted windows and a slightly upgraded stereo not to mention xds  :evilgrin:

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2009, 08:13:20 pm »

It was said how expensive the mk6 is but you do now get the center armrest for free, as well as the mfsw, tinted windows and a slightly upgraded stereo not to mention xds  :evilgrin:

Not free then if it's more expensive!  :signLOL:

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2009, 08:15:34 pm »
Guys... I have amended my previous post slightly... Theres a few things I have changed my mind on and wanted to rephrase. Read it again before continuing.

Oh and Phil... Please dont try and make my post out as a war starter. This is a discussion. Not a fight... I have expressed my opinion which I feel is probably one of the most unbiased opinions on this forum.

Mike
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

R32UK

« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2009, 08:15:53 pm »

You know what I meant!!  :stupid:  :wink:

anyone have the list price for a std MK5 gti??

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2009, 08:17:20 pm »

I did  :laugh:

R32UK

« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2009, 08:18:19 pm »

I did  :laugh:

So did I! :grin:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2009, 08:18:25 pm »
I will not  go into it, but im interested how you can compare a car Mk5 which youve been passenger in, and only looked at a Mk6 GTi, but driven a 1.4 TSi which is a different car.

Sorry i just chuckled thats all.

No offence intended mike.

:drinking:

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2009, 08:26:06 pm »
Not sure if this helps...

Three years ago we were on the 8 month waiting list and paid R300 000 (25 000 pounds) for our GTI. Which has everything except SAT NAV and colour coded bumpers.

The current price for the Mk6 GTI: R330 000 (Full House with everything) which is 27 500 pounds.

Not much of a difference at all.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:33:22 pm by 08micsta »
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

R32UK

« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2009, 08:30:32 pm »
If you think the MK6 Gti is expensive... just wait for the mucho anticipated R20!!  :evilgrin:

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2009, 08:32:38 pm »
Phil please dont make assumptions.  :happy2:

I have driven a MK5 GTI. And I was impressed and I was surprised and I loved it. I drove the 1.4TSI and considering there is only 1.2 second missing on its 0-100 times I would love to know how the 1.4 is all so different? Have you driven both back to back?

I ask because I have and I can barely notice any difference except that the MK5 feels heavier and that the 1.4 seems to have more wheel spin. Both cars were standard and it was wet.

I also made it perfectly clear that I had looked at the GTI and that in my experience of driving the 1.4 I am more than certain that the 2.0TSI is more than capable.

Mike  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2009, 08:42:53 pm »

I think that in many ways you've hit the nail on the head, Mike. The Mk6 does look and feel much posher and things like the door shuts are a very noticeable upgrade. However, I don't think we are ever going to resolve whether the Mk6 is 'better' than the Mk5 or not - Most of us here are Mk5 enthusiasts, some of us look for reasons to justify keeping a Mk5, others seek reasons to justify swopping for a Mk6. It's all far easier for those buying a GTI for the first time.

We all have our individual likes and dislikes of the Mk6 (and I've posted mine in a long review) and within a year of the Mk5 GTI's launch everybody was saying what a difficult act it would be to follow - So true!!

Our expectations have been for a more obviously different Mk6 and not a Mk5.5 however good mechanically etc (though I so much prefer the Quaife to the XSD electronic bolt-on to the ESP). Also, VW seem to have decided to pitch the Mk6 more at the average consumer than to enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:45:16 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

R32UK

« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2009, 08:47:31 pm »
Well I am moving from a mk5 r32 to a mk6 gti and I have to say I was blown away by the improvement over the mk5. Just something about it that screams better... be that interior quality, or general driving pleasure (minus the noise).

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2009, 08:47:49 pm »
There's seem to be buying frenzy up my way as I reg see MK6 TDi's all over the place rentals seem to have bought them up to. And have to say the shape is growing on me but the lower spec mk6's just look cheap imo, and today i seen my 1st black GTI on the road and i still think the rear exhaust setup was a bad idea. I do like the MK6 GTI i have only sat in one so I am no expert but it does look and feel a nice place to be, the MK4 was the daday of dash's though lol. I look fwd to the release of the edition model :happy2:

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2009, 09:00:50 pm »
Hello Rob

I don't think we are ever going to resolve whether the Mk6 is 'better' than the Mk5 or not - Most of us here are Mk5 enthusiasts, some of us look for reasons to justify keeping a Mk5, others seek reasons to justify swopping for a Mk6. It's all far easier for those buying a GTI for the first time.

This is completely true. I can happily say that I am unbiased as far as my thoughts on the two go. I have more interest in the Seat Cupra and Audi A4 than I do in the new GTI... (Dont ban me)  :grin:

But this is the age old story isnt it? When the MK5 was launched the MK4 guys took almost 2 years on the other forum before they would even look at the MK5. And as you said... A lot of MK5 owners are probably very impressed with the MK6 but as you have also said... How does one decide whether a new vehicle is better then its predecessor? Thats why I tend to look at aspects like door seals and quality and all the nitty gritty thngs... When  I drove the little TSI I kept closing the sun roof because the noise outside was so intense compared to that of the noise inside. This is a huge step up in comfort levels and is one of the things that I consider a huge step up.

The next thing that I notice is the awards the TSI engines have got. World Engine of the year with the MK6 as world car of the year. The MK5 got similar awards...  Pity the FSI engine wasnt so new then else it would probably have also won engine of the year.

We all have our individual likes and dislikes of the Mk6 (and I've posted mine in a long review) and within a year of the Mk5 GTI's launch everybody was saying what a difficult act it would be to follow - So true!!

Agreed. I personally hate that they kept the Monza rims and publicly announced this in the show room today. Yes on paper the MK6 is probably (emphasis on the word "probably") a better car. But in my opinion I dont see why MK5 owners feel the need to justify which car is better. The MK5 is a awesome car and without it the MK6 wouldnt be what it is now.

Our expectations have been for a more obviously different Mk6 and not a Mk5.5

I think this is where the MK6 went wrong. People expected a huge step up like they saw with the MK5 and the MK6 on the design front is as most say a facelift. But I still feel that its the advancements we see on paper (And there are lots of papers) that define the MK6 as more than a facelift.

I would still take a Scirocco though  :signLOL:

Mike