Make a donation

Author Topic: MK6 GTI - My observations  (Read 25208 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: MK6 GTI - My observations
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2009, 11:02:18 pm »

Robin they are £26.5k and £28.5k with toys, needless to say no discounts  :jumping:

....Cheers :happy2:

So isn't that very much on a par with the Mk6 GTI?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

R32UK

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2009, 07:52:18 pm »

Robin they are £26.5k and £28.5k with toys, needless to say no discounts  :jumping:

....Cheers :happy2:

So isn't that very much on a par with the Mk6 GTI?

mk6 gti start at £22500 :smiley:

Great choice of car there x5!! I have one exactly the same sat at a dealers somewhere (5dr) waiting til 1st September to collect! :pomppomp:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2009, 08:16:16 pm »
yeah but it dont take many extras to get to £26 k , proper wheels , sat nav ............... , the rs comes with them standard  :driver:

R32UK

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 08:21:37 pm »
very true..  i would love to have an RS for a blast, but own one?? no thanks

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2009, 08:25:42 pm »

You cant compare an RS to a standard Mk6 GTI. An ST and a GTI would be a fairer comparison.

....Don't the RS and the Mk6 GTI cost a similar amount of money? They are both hatchbacks of similar size and so if you didn't want a 5-door, you might definitely compare them - I would! I'd test drive both and expect not to like the interior of the Ford but to find it much more of an exciting 'driver's' car. Mind you, I don't like the Mk6 interior silver bling even if the build is clearly higher quality (door shuts etc) than either the Mk5 or RS.

I don't really care about the image - What's important is the pleasure I get and not what others who don't know me think of me.

The cost has nothing to do with it. The market segment is how you compare the cars. The comparable Mk6 GTI would by the R20 once released.

As stated, the ST was released as a competitor to the GTI.

R32UK

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 08:41:00 pm »
^^ agreed.

Lets wait for the R20 so it can kick the RS into touch :party:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2009, 09:01:02 pm »

The comparable Mk6 GTI would by the R20 once released.

....I think you must have missed out some words because I can't make sense of your sentence.

So, casting aside that most buyers make comparisons between cars within the constrains of their cost budgets, which car would you compare with the Mk6 GTI? And which would you compare with the RS? (only taking into account cars which are currently available to buy).

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

R32UK

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2009, 09:06:16 pm »
Sanitary Towel i would say :laugh:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2009, 09:06:26 pm »
go have a drive in a RS it ll blow any r20 imo unless it has tt rs 2.5 engine in it !!!!!!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2009, 09:07:11 pm »
the focus might be good but the only car/hatchback out at the mo that would spank it would be the megane r26r  :notworthy: its hardcore

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2009, 09:15:31 pm »

The comparable Mk6 GTI would by the R20 once released.

....I think you must have missed out some words because I can't make sense of your sentence.

Oh, so sorry for the typo. Didnt realise there were dyslexic police on the forum. Not that i am.

The comparable Mk6 GTI would be the R20 once released. You cannot compare the Mk6 GTI and Focus RS at all. Period.

And which would you compare with the RS? (only taking into account cars which are currently available to buy).

You cant. Put simply. There isnt a Golf available that is in the same market sector.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:18:44 pm by Deako »

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2009, 09:39:31 pm »

So, casting aside that most buyers make comparisons between cars within the constrains of their cost budgets, which car would you compare with the Mk6 GTI? And which would you compare with the RS? (only taking into account cars which are currently available to buy).

Segmentation m'man, segmentation. Marketing stuff. GTI faces off against the ST, the natural competitor for the RS would be the VXR Nurburgring edition, Sport Megane hatch renaultsport sport cup sport, and GTI Rwhatever/Scirocco Rwhatever, and mebbe the S3.

It's why people will suffer a diesel Golf and not pay a few pennies more for a GTI; and why people will pay for a Cayman as opposed to a Boxster.

Hence, the BMW X6 - no one asked, no one wanted, but if you build it they will come.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2009, 09:41:55 pm »
^^^^
Well, Deako, you and I are going to have to agree to differ because I believe that cost comparisons are invariably a factor in any market. You have only to check the meaning of the word "market" - It's all about purchasing.

Agreed that cost is by no means the only factor.

Funny how just one letter typo mistake combined with something else completely buggered that sentence. Thanks for clarifying what you meant :smiley:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2009, 09:48:28 pm »
I had a Focus RS on a day test drive recently, and didn't like it - Maybe £20k, but not £30k!!!  Plus it had torque steer, and on a less than perfect surface, it twitched and pulled all over the place.

Just my tuppence

I still had my RS4 when I tested it mind you......

Still wouldn't have one, looks great but not on my drive
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2009, 09:50:21 pm »
Ford Focus Rs does 14.6 secs down Santa pod.... hardly blow you away material is it!!.