Make a donation

Author Topic: MK6 GTI - My observations  (Read 25234 times)

Phil Mcavity

Re: MK6 GTI - My observations
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2009, 09:46:19 pm »
Phil please dont make assumptions.  :happy2:

I have driven a MK5 GTI. And I was impressed and I was surprised and I loved it. I drove the 1.4TSI and considering there is only 1.2 second missing on its 0-100 times I would love to know how the 1.4 is all so different? Have you driven both back to back?

I have driven the 1.4 170 TSI in the mk5 though, didnt like it as it feels like it runs outa puff higher up the rev range, and seems to give the impression its a diesel, as theres loads of torque low down the rev range, then tails off badly. Too different cars totally in their characteristics.

I still think that the Mk6 is too refined now, too quiet ,and not as envolving to drive. The sensation isnt there. The looks of it except the rear are not as good. It would cost at least 10k to change, and for what benefit??. There isnt anything that you could say is worth making the change. The mark 4 to 5, now thats different. Mk5 to 6..same money to change, no way in a million years.
Ive drawn to this conclusion...........imo :ashamed:
If you havent got a mk5 or never had one, get the Mk6, but as an owner of a 5, its not a step foward that justifys the cost stated above.

It kind of reminds be of the Audi S3, not everyones cuppa Tea, but appeals to some and not others.

Everyone has different thoughts on it. Everyone thats Posted HAS driven one and have all said the same.(in many examples)

If its that good, why hasnt many tabloids made bigger news of it?? nor why didnt TopGear this season Didnt even Give it a mention??

Thats my thoughts on it.

Cheaper to produce ,quicker to build (VW Say), more to pay, and now even longer to wait for one!! . The four dont add up.

Hoping the R20 isnt overpriced into the BMW price range 135.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:49:44 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2009, 11:41:03 pm »
I'm going to take this up on the public thread and and also take a quote of yours out of context :) but all in good fun right?
Plus I'm annoying.

Firstly the bickering is hilarious... But if you look behind the skin the MK6 is not a MK5.5. It isnt even near. If you want to argue with me then please call me... Dont post it here. Or PM me.

W-e-e-ll, technically if you look behind the skin of a Mk6 it is the same as the Mk5 - they are both based on the Volkswagen AG PQ35 (A5) platform, and both platforms share common engines, gearboxes, so on and so forth.
Your statement is a bit ironic actually, because it's precisely the skin which differentiates a Mk6 from a Mk5. Every body panel and bit of glass save the windscreen and roof is different from the Mk5.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2009, 11:59:05 pm »
^^^^

I see you're still pissing excellence, Neo! :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2009, 12:25:48 am »
^^^^

I see you're still pissing excellence, Neo! :happy2:

Don'tcha just know it  :laugh:

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2009, 05:43:13 am »
 :grin: :grin: :grin:
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2009, 07:58:25 am »
Keep this going guys, has been a real good read. At points i had tears pouring down my face with laughing so much.
Banter is great, well done.
Had a test drive in the MK6 and liked it. Dulled down in some ways and in others sharper. Couldnt put my finger on what though.

Iain
2006 MKV GTI, DSG, Stg2 Revo map, VWR front splitter, KWv3's, Eibach rollbars, Walk kit, Carbonio induction kit, Full Milltek exhaust system, Forge FMIC

Offline x5pea

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2009, 02:24:37 pm »
Well I am moving from a mk5 r32 to a mk6 gti and I have to say I was blown away by the improvement over the mk5. Just something about it that screams better... be that interior quality, or general driving pleasure (minus the noise).
I love the MK5 it really is an awesome care and will defo own another one in years to come and Like you I've owned both and I say the mk6 gti is a better car than the mk5 gti, its my opinion of course. Given that the MK5 was treated as the creation of the devil back in 2004 its hardly surprising that the mk6 receives the same reaction.

Peskarik

« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2009, 10:49:45 pm »
I don't know about Mk6. No desire to explore the improvements, as I totally dislike the exterior looks. Front is ugly, back is even uglier (those hideous rear lights a-la-Touareg-the-truck).

My current Mk5 Ed30 will be my first and probably last GTI for the rest of my life.
Not just because I like to move on to new different things.
It is also the build quality of VW that puts me off. After 2.5 years of driving Ed30 it creaks and rattles all over the place. Of course, I've changed suspension and it is now a significantly harder ride, but nonetheless.
I have problems with torsional rigidity lately, when I turn left/right over the curbs (like on a side road, or to a gas station) I hear how plastic in the sides of the car creaks.  :sick: It is terribly disappointing.  :sad1:
The car is fast enough (for FWD), especially after Stage2+, I really dig the exterior and the interior looks. The driver seat is fantastic, the layout inside is very nice. But all these pluses do not diminish the embarrassing build quality.
VW may produce nice GTIs, but I would not take a chance on a car when I am afraid that in a year's time after purchase it starts "to unglue" internally.

So next - something sport and BWD, probably V8 M3.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2009, 12:03:54 am »
If you can afford to wait, wait for the next M3 as I've heard it will have turbo power, so lots of headroom for improving on the performance :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2009, 01:24:35 am »
^^^^
A turbo'd M3 < Now that sounds very interesting! 2-door coupe please. I could easily go back to a BMW before I retire from driving. Very tail-happy at times though.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2009, 01:46:53 am »
^^^^
A turbo'd M3 < Now that sounds very interesting! 2-door coupe please. I could easily go back to a BMW before I retire from driving. Very tail-happy at times though.

It'll be a turbo V6. Everyone's cutting back.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2009, 09:54:54 am »
^^^^
V6 is good! First mod would be a Milly.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2009, 10:28:35 am »
I wonder how turbo'd BMW's cope with stop/go technology?

Surely spinning up the turbo and then cutting the power at the next junction that comes up isn't a good thing for Turbo longevity!!!! :surprised:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2009, 11:44:38 am »
^^^^
Oh no! Are BMW doing that stop/go stuff like Audi's? Personally I hate all these so-called 'driving aids' and 'eco measures' - Drive no faster than 60mph, drive 5 miles a week less, Don't worry your car will do xyz automatically for you so you can go back to sleep, etc etc. :fighting:

Call me 'old skool' or say I'm talking like a 60yo, but the more car manufacturers introduce such stuff the more we become Comfortably Numb (excellent Pink Floyd song) and miss the enjoyment of driving.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 01:20:21 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2009, 12:36:55 pm »
Couldn't agree more Robin! :happy2:
Golf R gone.