Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello - From Manchester!  (Read 1267 times)

ahfh1

Hello - From Manchester!
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:39:15 pm »
Hi guys!

I'm a Golf GTI MK IV owner looking to make the next step to owning a MK V GTI. 

Had my 2001 GTI for 6 years now.... so think it's time for a change!

What better place to find out info than on the mk5golfgti.co.uk forum lol!

Offline olufsen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Hello - From Manchester!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:09:39 pm »
Hello mate.
The Mk5 GTI is a great car, however like most motors there are a few things to take heed of.

1.  The Front arches rust (due to the arch liner rubbing, VW generally fix this OUTSIDE warranty)
2.  On the TFSI Turbo, both GTI (k03) and Edition 30 (k04) need to have the cam follower looked at or replaced, it's a £25 part and can be DIY'd or indyed for 30mins labour. Revision C (latest)
3.  If you feel a lack of boost at any time, things to check are the Dump valve (DV), get it swapped out for a Revision G (best) again about a £25 part and 30 mins labour :) see these things aren't so bad.. can be DIY'd too.  Then the PCV (Positive crank case ventialation) introduced many moons ago for emissions; another cheap part and replacement.

That's pretty much most of the bad Mk5 aspects.
A decent stage 1 tune should see around 240bhp/280lb/ft+ on the GTI, and 290+bhp similar torque on the Ed.30
A nice mod is to remove the pre-cat which should free up to 10bhp with an appropriate custom map, pushing the GTI to around 250bhp... rTech are highly respected around here for custom maps, and iirc they are about £250! Bargin, with high quality service.

If your budget allows, go for the K04 Edition (ed) 30, it can easily achieve 300bhp with little effort... but then you want brakes... 4 pots from the Boxster are decent and keep the same 312 discs for lightweightness... etc. etc.

Most of all enjoy the car matey, they are a nice little hatch! :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:46:19 pm »
Welcome on board!  :drinking:

Lots of nice cars in the "For Sale" section on here. Can't go wrong (usually) buying from a fellow forum member as an enthusiasts car will generally have been maintained above and beyond the required servicing and general maintainence.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Jonmaddock

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 11:28:47 pm »
I had my old mk4 1.8t for 5 years and replaced it with a low mileage ed30 best move ever!

DF2008

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:51:13 pm »
Hi ahfh1,

When are you looking to buy?

I am looking to sell next month and have a red 2008 GTI 44k miles Full VW history owned from new.

Loads of history and extras fitted from new

If you are interested let me know and I will post some pics for you.

All the best with the hunt

ahfh1

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:23:17 pm »
Hello mate.
The Mk5 GTI is a great car, however like most motors there are a few things to take heed of.

1.  The Front arches rust (due to the arch liner rubbing, VW generally fix this OUTSIDE warranty)
2.  On the TFSI Turbo, both GTI (k03) and Edition 30 (k04) need to have the cam follower looked at or replaced, it's a £25 part and can be DIY'd or indyed for 30mins labour. Revision C (latest)
3.  If you feel a lack of boost at any time, things to check are the Dump valve (DV), get it swapped out for a Revision G (best) again about a £25 part and 30 mins labour :) see these things aren't so bad.. can be DIY'd too.  Then the PCV (Positive crank case ventialation) introduced many moons ago for emissions; another cheap part and replacement.

That's pretty much most of the bad Mk5 aspects.
A decent stage 1 tune should see around 240bhp/280lb/ft+ on the GTI, and 290+bhp similar torque on the Ed.30
A nice mod is to remove the pre-cat which should free up to 10bhp with an appropriate custom map, pushing the GTI to around 250bhp... rTech are highly respected around here for custom maps, and iirc they are about £250! Bargin, with high quality service.

If your budget allows, go for the K04 Edition (ed) 30, it can easily achieve 300bhp with little effort... but then you want brakes... 4 pots from the Boxster are decent and keep the same 312 discs for lightweightness... etc. etc.

Most of all enjoy the car matey, they are a nice little hatch! :happy2:

Thanks for the summary mate.  I have heard about the front arches rusting but not the other 2 points so something for to watch out for!