Make a donation

Author Topic: Ideas for a career change  (Read 2280 times)

Offline olufsen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Ideas for a career change
« on: April 03, 2013, 08:48:05 pm »
I know it's quite a personal thing, but I'm so bored of IT, been doing for the last 10 years and just can't see myself doing it for another 10, let alone for the rest of my life! (as no doubt anyone in their twentys won't be able to retire until their at least 92).

So, I'm up for a change, I know it won't happen over night and will probably have to restudy; what do you guys do?  Do you enjoy your jobs?

Has anyone faced a career change in their late twenties?  Any advice... I feel life is too short to be unhappy in any job.

:happy2:

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Ideas for a career change
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:21 pm »
In the same boat as you, been working at a local school as an it technician for a year now and feel I've achieved everything I possibly can. Plus no room for promotions here.

Been looking into second line help in other industries.

Have you thought about teaching IT?

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:02:49 pm »
It all boils down to what you want to do. If you change job for the sake of it you'll be just as unhappy in another job.

Have you got a particular skillset that is useful, or an idea of what kind of job would make you enjoy work more?
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:27:23 am »
I've been working in IT since i left college at 19, now 32. I even considered selling everything (back when i was single at about 25-26) and going back to Uni to do a Motorsport Engineering degree. Unfortunately, i have far too many commitments now to even consider changing jobs.

If i won a considerable sum of money, i would be tempted to try and get involved with Motorsport somehow. It's all i ever wanted to be involved with as a kid, and life just took a different (safer) path.

Lost count of the amount of times ive looked for IT jobs in the F1 teams though. I applied for a position a couple of years back which was setting up all the away race IT kit for a team. I bet about 10,000 people applied. Didnt even hear back.  :grin:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:36:31 am »

Just do whatever makes you happy. A job that you love is worth it's weight in gold. You've only one life, so go for your dreams. I went to Uni at 33 because it was a life-long ambition, and now I work for myself as a traditional decorator. I don't earn a fortune, but I enjoy my work, and apart from sleeping work is the biggest time swallower of all, so make sure you're doing something you enjoy or you won't be truly happy.

Only you can decide what that will be, but don't get to 60 and think 'what if, or if only I'd.......'

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 04:07:29 pm »
I’m in the same boat! Although a bit younger at 24!

I have been a fraud investigator for 3 years now. Really want to change! Everything I want to do costs considerable amounts of money to train or start up! I have bills and commitments that prevent me changing career if I will be on a lower salary!

Always wanted to be a helicopter pilot (police or air ambulance etc) but that isn't really an option :(

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 03:21:53 am »
Why not?

You don't even need O levels to become a commercial pilot.....

I used to teach a LOAD of IT guys to fly. I reckon 1 in 4 rookie jet jockeys are ex IT

Offline olufsen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:32:26 am »
I'm all for following your dreams, but isn't being a police heli pilot pretty much reserved for ex (full term served) military, unless you have some serious wonga for the training... Some say at least £60k with no guarantee :confused:

I've always wanted to work in Motorsport; I may well look for some IT related job in the field to get my foot in the door so to speak.  Any suggestions of where to start with that?  I would've thought F1 (as suggested) would be completely off limits as would WRC / BTCC, need something small to begin with.

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:36:52 am »
Why not?

You don't even need O levels to become a commercial pilot.....

I used to teach a LOAD of IT guys to fly. I reckon 1 in 4 rookie jet jockeys are ex IT

I'm all for following your dreams, but isn't being a police heli pilot pretty much reserved for ex (full term served) military, unless you have some serious wonga for the training... Some say at least £60k with no guarantee :confused:

I've always wanted to work in Motorsport; I may well look for some IT related job in the field to get my foot in the door so to speak.  Any suggestions of where to start with that?  I would've thought F1 (as suggested) would be completely off limits as would WRC / BTCC, need something small to begin with.

yea thats the problem, I dont have that kind of wonga burning a hole in my pocket! its just an out of reach dream tbh!

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:02:37 am »

Olufson - where are you based.  There are normally opportunities in varying fields in the Northamptonshire area for motorsport and automotive consultancy work.  Be prepared to be owned though.  Better if you're single as well.  Don't get the grief off the Mrs for the long hours  :happy2:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 06:45:58 pm »
Feel that it very difficult to change any career path (financial Services), as areas i have looked at, i have been told that i have no experience in that field so would not be considered.

I fully expect to take a paycut and have to work my way up again, but may well have to with a redundancy meeting at Old trafford tomorrow morning.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 07:27:10 pm »
Dont fear redundancy mate, I got made redundant last December and Ive been very lucky that its been probably a fantastic turning point in my life...

fear of the unknown is the worst kind, try and see through the worst of it make sure you get exactly what you're entitled to and get out there disregard nothing.

I have a 4 hour commute now instead of 12 minutes but wouldnt swap

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 09:24:01 pm »
Dont fear redundancy mate, I got made redundant last December and Ive been very lucky that its been probably a fantastic turning point in my life...

fear of the unknown is the worst kind, try and see through the worst of it make sure you get exactly what you're entitled to and get out there disregard nothing.

I have a 4 hour commute now instead of 12 minutes but wouldnt swap

Cheers  :happy2:

Just sat reading all the legal minimum redundancy info on the net, went through the same situation 10 months ago same company.  :sad1:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 05:58:25 pm »
All i will say is just enjoy the job whilst you have one, mine ended today.  :sad1:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 06:48:27 pm »
Olufson - where are you based.  There are normally opportunities in varying fields in the Northamptonshire area for motorsport and automotive consultancy work.  Be prepared to be owned though.  Better if you're single as well.  Don't get the grief off the Mrs for the long hours  :happy2:

Got any contacts?  :happy2:
That's my locale and certainly the career where I'd want to be. Consultancy under my belt too.

Feeling very similar to the OP's thoughts on career doors and openings too, and I'm 26.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door