Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 Golf 1.6 FSI owner  (Read 10187 times)

Offline YL91

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
MK5 Golf 1.6 FSI owner
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:33:02 am »
Just picked up a Golf FSI 1.6, my first german car. Had 4 Hondas before this.. Very comfortable car but does sound a bit noisey..

I'm not sure if theres a forum for non GTI's but this is the forum that came up when I googled lol.

Anyways I would've went for a GTI but since I've moved home, I'm just next door to my younger brother who has just started learning and he will need access to a car so thought we'd go for something smaller.

Paid £6.5k from a local dealership with 60k on the clock but VERY clean..

I'm thinking of fitting a gti front bumper, rear bumper and skirts as the standard ones that came with the car looks pathetic  :sick: and wondering if it would be a straight fit? Would be changing the backbox so it would flush with the rear bumper, is the exhaust straight fit aswell? Also thinking about fitting new wheels as the 15's look tinyyyy..

Are there any faults I should keep an eye out for aswell?

Thanks for your time in advance!

YL,
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:36:24 am by YL91 »

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
Re: MK5 Golf 1.6 FSI owner
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:42:16 am »
Welcome along, get some pics up  :party: and dont worry, everyones welcome, we have plenty of non gti owners and loads of non mk5 owners  :happy2:

Virtually everything from the same platform will be a straight fit aslong as you buy oem parts, i hear a few of the non original bumpers need a little convincing going on. You wont be able to fit a gti exhaust on (as far as im aware), but no doubt theyll be aftermarket exhausts out there, or you could go to somewhere like powerflow who can make what you want for you.

No doubt 15"s look small, i thought my 17"s look tiny!

Check out the members rides section and you'll get plenty of ideas, watch out though, it gets expensive  :grin:

Offline YL91

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 12:36:03 pm »
Here are a couple of photos from when I picked her up

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:40:48 pm »
Looks super clean mate, and 15"s  :stupid: what were vw thinking!

Offline YL91

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:41:04 pm »
So my plans right now are Front GTI bumper, side skirts, I really like the r32 rear but i think its a bit too much for the baby 1.6 fsi lol and some wind deflectors but im not sure if they do it for golfs? I always had wind deflecters on my japs.. and also new wheels!

I see some rear gti bumper on ebay for really cheap.. also there was a front gti bumper including foglights and everything, just wondering if its any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETE-FRONT-BUMPER-WITH-FOG-LIGHT-FOR-VW-MK5-GOLF-GTI-03-09-JETTA-OR-GT-/150992728066?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGolf%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+V&hash=item2327de3002

Not sure on wheels yet though..

Offline YL91

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 12:42:07 pm »
Looks super clean mate, and 15"s  :stupid: what were vw thinking!

15''s does look a bit too small for a golf.. even on a polo i'd feel 16''s would be ideal..

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:25:11 pm »
That bumper looks the same but ive seen it before its not an OEM one, try using the search button theres plenty of threads about exactly this. Apparently these ones are a bit of a pain to fit but i have never tried so im not 100%

Yeah im pretty sure polo gti's have 16" monzas.

Offline YL91

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:08:35 am »
That bumper looks the same but ive seen it before its not an OEM one, try using the search button theres plenty of threads about exactly this. Apparently these ones are a bit of a pain to fit but i have never tried so im not 100%

Yeah im pretty sure polo gti's have 16" monzas.

Are there any guides and do you know how hard they are to fit? Now on the stereo unit, it shows that you can have 6 CD's.. Does it go directly in the unit or do I need a CD changer? Also, is it hard to fit an aux port?

Sorry for so much questions lol, what kinda backbox should I be looking for?

I've found a rear bumper and wondering if its a straight fit?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281088316619&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Thanks for all the help you've given me so far!

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 02:59:50 am »
That Edition 30 rear valance is bloody cheap dude.

I've literally just bought a difference rear valance, otherwise I'd have already bought that.. infact I would have bought it, and resold it for a profit, but hey you spotted it first. So I won't.
If it's genuine I would not hesitate in buying, it's in your colour it seems, plus they are £450 from VW last time I checked.  :confused: :confused:

Anyway, on the front bumper thing... don't faff around with cheap, aftermarket ones. They never look or fit right. I put a Jetta bumper (it's basically the same bumper as a GT or GTI one basically) onto my car and I only needed a few small saw blades and an hour to trim and test fit.. nothing else needed. PS there is absolutely no difference between a GT or a GTI bumper at all. It's the grills that are different but they are all interchangeable. The Jetta bumper has different fog light grills, but the centre top and bottom grills are interchangeable between all three bumpers.

Get genuine only parts mate, it's the one thing I would advise you to..  second hand on Ebay or classified sites like here or Edition 38, genuine bumpers come up regularly for decent money.

Offline YL91

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 01:29:06 pm »
That Edition 30 rear valance is bloody cheap dude.

I've literally just bought a difference rear valance, otherwise I'd have already bought that.. infact I would have bought it, and resold it for a profit, but hey you spotted it first. So I won't.
If it's genuine I would not hesitate in buying, it's in your colour it seems, plus they are £450 from VW last time I checked.  :confused: :confused:

Anyway, on the front bumper thing... don't faff around with cheap, aftermarket ones. They never look or fit right. I put a Jetta bumper (it's basically the same bumper as a GT or GTI one basically) onto my car and I only needed a few small saw blades and an hour to trim and test fit.. nothing else needed. PS there is absolutely no difference between a GT or a GTI bumper at all. It's the grills that are different but they are all interchangeable. The Jetta bumper has different fog light grills, but the centre top and bottom grills are interchangeable between all three bumpers.

Get genuine only parts mate, it's the one thing I would advise you to..  second hand on Ebay or classified sites like here or Edition 38, genuine bumpers come up regularly for decent money.

Thanks alot for your help mate. It seems the fogs are very cheap for the golf.. are they hard to install? The fogs for my civic cost over £150 lol. I emailed the guy and he said he wouldnt post.. it would take me 4 hours trip in total to pick up the bumper.. =[

I'm going to look around in the for sale section and try my luck.

The car does seem very noisey though... theres like a ticking sound from engine and a grumbling sound from the exhaust when driving..

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 03:25:44 pm »
That bumper is a fibreglass rep by the way.

Offline ell.s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 05:11:04 pm »
Welcome along, nice clean car there mate  :happy2: