Make a donation

Author Topic: Cheap remap  (Read 1413 times)

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Cheap remap
« on: April 07, 2013, 11:26:31 am »
Hi everyone.

Was talking to the guy who retrofitted my cruise control and he asked me if I wanted my car remapped at £140.

Now the cheapest price ive seen for my car is angel tuning at £200 and thats because im a returning customer to them.

But anyway this guys does know his stuff.  Hes got so many different cables and equipment for ecu's. He was even telling me he can de-immobilse cars for clock upgrade  purposes.

So he showed me on his laptop all the different remap files for the different types of ecus. He looked and said he cant find my ecu code so he will read mine and send it off to his mate in poland, he will edit the file and send it back so he can write it back to the ecu. All backups will be made beforehand.

So I was wondering has anyone come across someone who's done a cheap remap like this before,  or should I just go to angel tuning who I was happy with before on my old car

Raz

Sent From My Samsung S3
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:33:09 pm by vw55raz »

Offline ell.s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Cheap remap
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:29:05 am »
Seems Legit  :stupid:

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:30:34 am »
Why not? If it's crap you can get it done 'properly' somewhere else. The only risk is the £140 you stand to lose if it's crap.

I'd wager that the profit margin on the 'trendy' remaps is very fat.
'07 Red manual

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
Re: Re: Cheap remap
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:33:40 am »
Oh and he did say that he would recommend I go from 105 to 130bhp just to be safe and not strain the turbo clutch and gearbox. Whereas angel say they can go up to 150 bhp

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:24:47 pm »
Last person I know to put a Polish remap by "some guy with a laptop" on their car blew its turbo 2 weeks later.

Its not just the 140 quid you might lose, it's the damage to your engine as well..

Offline Itsagthing

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 01:52:38 pm »
Last person I know to put a Polish remap by "some guy with a laptop" on their car blew its turbo 2 weeks later.

Its not just the 140 quid you might lose, it's the damage to your engine as well..
This ^

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
Re: Re: Re: Cheap remap
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 02:57:21 pm »

Oh gosh!  That's put me right off now.

Thanks

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 03:00:23 pm »
Hi everyone.

Was talking to the guy who retrofitted my cruise control and he asked me if I wanted my car remapped at £140.

Now the cheapest price ive seen for my car is angel tuning at £200 and thats because im a returning customer to them.

But anyway this guys does know his stuff.  Hes got so many different cables and equipment for ecu's. He was even telling me he can de-immobilse cars for clock upgrade  purposes.

So he showed me on his laptop all the different remap files for the different types of ecus. He looked and said he cant find my ecu code so he will read mine and send it off to his mate in poland, he will edit the file and send it back so he can write it back to the ecu. All backups will be made beforehand.

So I was wondering has anyone come across someone who's done a cheap remap like this before,  or should I just go to angel tuning who I was happy with before on my old car

Raz

Sent From My Samsung S3

Considering how your cruise control install went

"Oh you have the wire" and it turns out you don't. And comes up with it doesn't work because of the G201 fault.

I have to ask, why do you rate him and let him near your car
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline GTI Leeds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 04:26:25 pm »
Pay cheap pay twice

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 04:28:24 pm »

"Oh you have the wire" and it turns out you don't. And comes up with it doesn't work because of the G201 fault.

The wire is going in tomorrow.

I spoke to hazzydays and they said the same thing about the g201 fault. So I assumed the guy was solid in his knowledge.

Only way to see if that's true is to wait and see tomorrow.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 04:31:42 pm »

The wire is going in tomorrow.

I spoke to hazzydays and they said the same thing about the g201 fault. So I assumed the guy was solid in his knowledge.

Only way to see if that's true is to wait and see tomorrow.

lets hope it works or you have to buy a another pump

just can't see how you could miss that, I always check for it when I do cruise.
my tally is done 51 and 51 working
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 04:32:43 pm »
We often see posts like this come up followed by the OP going ahead and posting about how good it is.

Then a bit later down the line and they post up again eating humble pie asking why its not making boost, why is the power low, why does it smoke or why its heatsoaking etc.

A new turbo is about £1k incl labour.  Blow your engine and second hand ones without the ancils are about £1.5k not incl labour.  If you have issues consider how much fault finding is going to cost you!!

Im not saying to use the expensive top end tuners like APR, or REVO etc if you cant afford it, but there are plenty of options that are top quality, give equivalent figures and cost alot less .  Such as PDT, RTEc, P-Torque etc.  YOu have a lovely and expensive car, why would you scrimp on quality on what is basically the most important and critical part of the car.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:44:48 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 04:37:09 pm »
lets hope it works or you have to buy a another pump

just can't see how you could miss that, I always check for it when I do cruise.
my tally is done 51 and 51 working

I hope so too. I know the error code definitely means missing cable now and seen it for myself too. So if the code comes up again, I'll know he's just messing me about and I'll ask for a full refund.

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 04:40:18 pm »
@janner_sy

That makes sense. Might as well go with angel tuning just for that extra £60 rather then pay out 1k for major engine problems due to dodgy remap.

Thanks everyone for their input .

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 08:10:30 pm »
Wow, I didn't need to spend £80k on a dyno and tens of thousands each year on new tooling and software, all I needed was lots of cables, a laptop full of matching generic files and an email address to a guy in Poland.

The OP's post sounds like a joke, but sadly it isn't. The amount of calls and emails we get a day asking for us to price match a £150 remap s shocking :signLOL: