Make a donation

Author Topic: The GTi is BACK!!!!!!!!!! DV post!  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
The GTi is BACK!!!!!!!!!! DV post!
« on: April 06, 2013, 09:05:37 pm »
Ok, so there are quite a few of these postings now, but what the heck, I had to share my excitement too! :pomppomp: :jumpmove:

I've had the mk5 for about 2 months and I really like its road handling, presence, and drive ability.  I blufin'd it two weeks ago and thought that was more like it, though I still wasn't blown away for the supposed 240 ponies that were under the hood now.....I would almost say the k&n panel air filter and stage 1 wasn't worth the money.

I bought a new DV about a month ago, but never fitted as the weather was too cold :confused: 

So today I've had the car on the ramps and had a ferret around underneath for the first time.

I changed the oil and filter and added the missing (!) front splitter.   :happy2:

I also changed the DV

The old one was like so many on the threads I have read, knackered.  It took me about 45 mins to change the DV and when I got it off, I was SO happy the diaphragm was knackered as this meant that my suspicions that the car wasn't running right were now confirmed.

Slapped the new one on and went shopping with the mrs.  :party: so a steady drive.....

Blooming heck!  Now that's what I was expecting!!!! Impreza munching German performance.....

Welcome back GTI,  you've been missed!

Like other posts, I would urge anyone to check theirs, life's too short to drive around with leaking boost!!!

Spadds

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: The GTi is BACK!!!!!!!!!! DV post!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 10:34:22 pm »
 :congrats:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline patpong_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:25:15 pm »
which type did you buy DV_ G or DV_D plastic type

Offline daz05

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 12:16:20 am »
Wish I could say the same, had problems with mine today. All i had was a 3/8th 5mm hex and some allen keys. One of the bolts would not budge no matter how had I tried and even started to chew up a a bit. Any links to tools to try welcome, frustrating is not the word.
Black 5 door Mk5 GTI

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 08:25:35 am »
which type did you buy DV_ G or DV_D plastic type

I got the rev G item as I heard the D piston type can leak.

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 08:36:58 am »
Wish I could say the same, had problems with mine today. All i had was a 3/8th 5mm hex and some allen keys. One of the bolts would not budge no matter how had I tried and even started to chew up a a bit. Any links to tools to try welcome, frustrating is not the word.

Hi Daz

I bought this or similar eBay item (number 130495629561 ) in preparation for changing out the cam follower on the fuel pump, the one I bought has the spline tools in it for the banjo bolt.  It also has a 5mm Allen peice which fits in great into my 10 mm halfraids ratchet ring spanner.  I actually undid the bolts with a 5 mm Allen key, then used the ratchet spanner combo to remove.  I even got that good at it I undid another 5 mm bolt holding a pipe clamp on which I didn't need to.  :rolleye:

I did the work under the car which I found fine. Note, watch out for dripping oil when you undo the bolts!! My cable connector had quite a bit in it! :surprised:  I'm guessing this had come through the punctured DV diaphragm...... Hope it's not a sign of failed turbo bearing seals....... :jumping:

Offline daz05

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 12:22:48 pm »
Thanks mate, i think the bolt is about to round itself so I'm going to talk to my mechanic and just get him to do it. At least I got my follower done.

I hope the oil problem isn't serious could that not mean your PVC also needs replacing?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:24:21 pm by daz05 »
Black 5 door Mk5 GTI

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 05:50:55 pm »
Yeah, id take it to the garage, they'll sort it no probs!  Yeah, I think the PCV is knackered, so I bought the BSH revamp kit of fleabag for £55.  I will fit that next week.

Here's a pick of the duff DV: