Make a donation

Author Topic: I think I want one......  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Stevoraith

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
I think I want one......
« on: March 06, 2013, 07:14:17 pm »
Hello all.

I'm Steven from Fife, and I'm after an Edition 30 (I think!).

We bought the wife a brand new Octavia vRS TDI in 2011 and after that my 330d only really got used for work as the Octavia was much better as a family car.
I decided last summer that I should seel the BMW and get something cheaper to own- I'd had a mkIV GT TDI from nearly new back in 2002 (and owned it for over 5 years) so thought a GTI TDI mkIV would be ideal.

I've now decided cheap motoring is not for me  :grin:

So I'm on the lookout for a mkV GTI.  I test drove one back in 2007 with the intention of buying, then went all silly and bought a VX220 and then the 330d instead. 
I fancy going back to something smaller though so a mkV is top of the list.

I think an Ed30 is what I want, mainly for the options if I'm honest as we specc'ed the Octavia quite highly and I now don't want to do without heated seats, Xenons, highline computer etc!
However, if I find a nicely specc'ed normal GTI I could be tempted.

Probably looking to change in early summer so just getting myself up to speed with everythign at the moment. 
Look forward to spending more time here, cheers!
2011 Octavia vRS TDI- for the wife
2002 Golf GTI TDI- old and cheap

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
Re: I think I want one......
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 04:27:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will find what your looking for, either a normal GTI or Eddy. There are quite a few for sale at the moment & a lot of gems for sale.

Check on here as real enthusiasts cars will be here.  :happy2:

Good Luck!  :wink:

Offline Stevoraith

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:07:33 pm »
Thanks mate, yeah I'm keen to buy from a member as enthusiasts tend to keep their cars how I like to keep mine.

Seen a couple of beauties on here already so hopefully something comes up when I'm ready to take the plunge.

In the mean time I'll keep reading and try and find out as much as I can about them!

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 06:27:08 pm »
Welcome on board Stephen.  :drinking:

Pretty much everything can be retrofitted so don't worry too much if you don't find the exact spec your after. Xenons, MFSW and Highline are a good place to start. Heated seats are standard IIRC on the Eddy.

If your planning on adding more power then go for an Eddy or Pirelli as the bigger K04 Turbo'd engine has more headroom for tuning, also (if tuning your car) look at getting a DSG as you will only need a DSG map apposed to a new uprated clutch that may be required with a manual.

Happy hunting.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 06:40:09 am »
Welcome on board Stephen.  :drinking:

Pretty much everything can be retrofitted so don't worry too much if you don't find the exact spec your after. Xenons, MFSW and Highline are a good place to start. Heated seats are standard IIRC on the Eddy.

If your planning on adding more power then go for an Eddy or Pirelli as the bigger K04 Turbo'd engine has more headroom for tuning, also (if tuning your car) look at getting a DSG as you will only need a DSG map apposed to a new uprated clutch that may be required with a manual.

Happy hunting.

X2

:happy2:

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:06:44 am »
Welcome along mate. Where abouts in fife are you from? Fellow fifer here  :wink:

PM for details

Offline Stevoraith

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 12:48:15 am »
Craig, I'm in Kirkcaldy mate, what about you?

That's interesting about the DSG being able to handle more power- I never really thought about that to be honest. I doubt I'll modify it (I'm in my 30s so getting too old for that  :grin:)  but you never know.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 11:33:57 am »
Just along the road near Cupar mate.  :happy2:

PM for details

Offline peeliewally

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 11:58:42 pm »
Hi Steven, fancy meeting you here.
I just sold a lovely estoril blue 330d sport that was in mint condition. Ring any bells?  :happy2:
BMW dealer, Douglas Park replaced both front wings and fixed passenger side rear wing under 12-year anti corrosion warranty for free. I put new rear discs and pads, new parking sensors, front wishbone bushes, power steering pump on the car before I sold it. Guy from London travelled up to buy it about four weeks ago. Car was still in mint condition when I sold it.

OLD

NEW

Hope you find a good car. I'm loving mine. Just needs a few bits and pieces done but over time I'll get it into tiptop condition. It's booked in for a detail & nano wrap in may so that's just the start. The BMW was starting to cost me money so I thought I would sell it on.

Gary

Offline peeliewally

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 01:29:21 pm »
Craig, I'm in Kirkcaldy mate, what about you?

That's interesting about the DSG being able to handle more power- I never really thought about that to be honest. I doubt I'll modify it (I'm in my 30s so getting too old for that  :grin:)  but you never know.
Hi Steven,
I went to see a silver 56-plate 3-door GTi with DSG in Kircaldy. An older guy who had car from new. Just behind retail park that's near where you are. It's still for sale on Autotrader but front wings had poor paintwork and there was a large scratch on the passenger side quarter panel.
It was a no expense spared job by the elderly owner but poor VW repair of the rusty front wing problem. He must have smoked 80 fags a day as it had a nice Benson & Hedges stale smell inside. You would have struggled to get rid of that smell I think.
Gary

Offline nigw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 02:12:16 pm »

Hi Steven,
I went to see a silver 56-plate 3-door GTi with DSG in Kircaldy. An older guy who had car from new. Just behind retail park that's near where you are. It's still for sale on Autotrader but front wings had poor paintwork and there was a large scratch on the passenger side quarter panel.
It was a no expense spared job by the elderly owner but poor VW repair of the rusty front wing problem. He must have smoked 80 fags a day as it had a nice Benson & Hedges stale smell inside. You would have struggled to get rid of that smell I think.
Gary

Tedious that he describes it as in 'excellent condition' despite rusty wings, poor paintwork, large scratch and a stinky interior! Not particularly cheap either for a 78k mile car.

I wonder whether VW would re-do the wings, given that it's their repair!

Offline peeliewally

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 03:22:44 pm »

Hi Steven,
Gary

Tedious that he describes it as in 'excellent condition' despite rusty wings, poor paintwork, large scratch and a stinky interior! Not particularly cheap either for a 78k mile car.

I wonder whether VW would re-do the wings, given that it's their repair!

VW did re-do the front wings after I pointed out that they were in a mess. He said he didn't notice it as the car was just lying outside his house. He has a brand new car and the golf isn't used at all. He called VW after my friend and I left and the car was put into VW garage on the Monday to be fixed. He contacted me again thinking that I would still buy the car but the six inch score and smelly interior would have annoyed me. Other than that it had brand new discs / pads all round, new tyres, newly serviced, years MOT. Everything carried out by VW.