Make a donation

Author Topic: Helmets - Talk to me???  (Read 23889 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Helmets - Talk to me???
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 12:11:25 am »
^^^^
No matter how hard I try, I can't disagree! Good advice there, James.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GTIforpassion

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 10:02:10 am »
Good advice, also for me !!  :happy2:

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 10:17:59 am »
I bought an Arai SK6 recently.... VERY comfy and can be worn for periods of time without feeling uncomfortable.
My main use is karting, so hence bought the karting version...

It's currently being painted  :happy2:

Hopefully, it will come out something like this:

My poor colouring skills sketch, but you get the idea  :signLOL:
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2010, 06:03:09 pm »
Well, my relatively cheapo (90 squid) Nitros helmet has bust! The nut fixing on one side for the flip-front has disappeared inside the helmet body and is irretreivable. But what do you expect for the money.

It nevertheless has clearly shown me that the design is suspect and doesn't give me confidence in a bad scenario.

The local bike shop who sold it me says Nitros won't give me my money back but he's going to try.

I'm thinking X-Lite full-face but ideally flip-up because I wear glasses: £300 is about as much as I want to pay for just a few trackdays a year. And yes, I will wear a helmet even on a Touristfahrten and also don't see the sense of not being full-face even in a closed car. My fave is the Stilo Circuit but it's nearly £500 and I really don't need intercom.

Is a proper bike helmet ok for trackdays? Surely it must be when you consider how much more exposed a biker is.

Any advice, folks please?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2010, 06:06:06 pm »
i use a normal biker helmet full face.  i have removed the visor though.  before buying this,  i used to pay on track days to use their open face ones, which i must say i prefer.

you dont really need a full face, im surrounded by airbaigs

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2010, 06:14:27 pm »
^^^^
Thanks, Sy.

I'm no longer surrounded by airbags with my Recaro's. I'm afraid that I'll only consider full-face: Steering wheel or other dashboard components flying into face? Flip-up most convenient though.

So bike lids are ok. Visor removed of course.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2010, 08:20:37 pm »
Well, my relatively cheapo (90 squid) Nitros helmet has bust! The nut fixing on one side for the flip-front has disappeared inside the helmet body and is irretreivable. But what do you expect for the money.

It nevertheless has clearly shown me that the design is suspect and doesn't give me confidence in a bad scenario.

The local bike shop who sold it me says Nitros won't give me my money back but he's going to try.

I'm thinking X-Lite full-face but ideally flip-up because I wear glasses: £300 is about as much as I want to pay for just a few trackdays a year. And yes, I will wear a helmet even on a Touristfahrten and also don't see the sense of not being full-face even in a closed car. My fave is the Stilo Circuit but it's nearly £500 and I really don't need intercom.

Is a proper bike helmet ok for trackdays? Surely it must be when you consider how much more exposed a biker is.

Any advice, folks please?

spending that sort of money Robin you are into the more premium brands like Shoei and Arai, have alook at some of those, you'll be suprised by the difference in quality, finish and fit, just my humble opinion of course :smiley:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2010, 09:24:21 pm »
if you value your face area don't do flip up helmets, they aren't about convenience, they are safety and a 2 part helmet is far less strong than a one piece design.

So full face RR, and no flip up  :smiley:

Have used Shoei the last 20 years can't fault them  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2010, 09:47:03 pm »
^^^^
Cheers, gaz  :drinking:

I've just been through Shoei's whole product catalogue and they do a flip-up which even has provision for eye-glass wearers. It's called the Multitec and has metal parts where my Nitro had plastic and far better designed attention to detail. Ok, it's more ventilated than I would need in a car but the rest ticks all the boxes. Metallic Anthracite finish too.

Aha, but I've just read Jake's advice and so I think I'll take his advice and go back to the catalogue. :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2010, 10:04:05 pm »
Shoei XR-1100 is just within budget.

I like their attention to detail.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2010, 10:10:45 pm »
Shoei XR-1100 is just within budget.

I like their attention to detail.

:happy2:   :drinking:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2010, 10:14:04 pm »
I actually have the XR-1000 Robin, which I presume is the XR-1100 for-runner, and have used it for a couple of years now, fits great, light weight, and the finish is spot-on, if I had 1 complaint it would be it has a little more wind noise than I would like on the bike but of course that wouldn't be a problem in your car :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:34 pm »
^^^^
Here's a youtube review by someone who used to have the XR-1000. Note what he says at about 1:40 !! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not being a biker it has a bit more spec than I need but also all the features I do need such as wider peripheral vision, bigger eye opening, provision of glasses wearers. It clearly meets safety standards.

Also available in plain colours rather than ninja or racer reps so I won't feel too much of a twat.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2010, 09:57:55 am »
I honestly understand you view on having a full face - but sit in your car, put your seatbelt on pulling it really tight to mimic when the tensioner pulls in an accident and lock it on the inertia reel (or strap your harness up tight).

Once in, try your hardest to get your face anywhere near something hard - I bet you can't.

Your only risk I suppose is either flying glass, which will still get through an open visor or anything loose in the car.

All rally drivers and most tin-top racers have an open face, you need it for your peripheral vision and I'm sure you can appreciate the more of this you have on the Ring, the better.

Halfway house is maybe an open face with a chinguard? Intercom could be useful too..

Sideways yo!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2010, 10:47:51 am »
I honestly understand you view on having a full face - but sit in your car, put your seatbelt on pulling it really tight to mimic when the tensioner pulls in an accident and lock it on the inertia reel (or strap your harness up tight).

Once in, try your hardest to get your face anywhere near something hard - I bet you can't.

Your only risk I suppose is either flying glass, which will still get through an open visor or anything loose in the car.

All rally drivers and most tin-top racers have an open face, you need it for your peripheral vision and I'm sure you can appreciate the more of this you have on the Ring, the better.

Halfway house is maybe an open face with a chinguard? Intercom could be useful too..

Seconded - My Peltor one is spot on and what is good for most WRC drivers is good enough for me. They are possibly one of the most likely candidates for a big crash in all Motorsport too. My lid is set-up for a comm-system as well, not that it really needs it.

Collected in person from the source...

EDIT: I have clear Peltor glasses for eye protection too. Marcus Gronholm branded ones.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:49:38 am by animal »
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator