Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf R v BMW 135i Coupe  (Read 8235 times)

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
Golf R v BMW 135i Coupe
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:35:14 pm »
Righto fellas and ladies,netx year see's the introdiction of the MK7 Golf R.
Hopefully,I will be in a position to purchase one of the above(but I'm not going to guarantee it...things tend to crop up that deplete my savings!)by that time.
I've reading up on the reviews and been reading some of the reports on here from folk who own these cars but has anyone done a comparison of these two back to back as it were?

And before anyone says go to the dealers and test drive them,my nearest BMW dealership is 200miles away in Inverness and the VW dealer is a mile down the road from them. :evilgrin:

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Golf R v BMW 135i Coupe
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 08:07:06 pm »
Do you mean a MK7 Golf R vs an old shape 135i Coupe? Or do you mean the new coupe which will be released later next year (called a 235i now BTW).

I've owned an E82 135i coupe and currently have an F20 M135i hatch. I have an opinion on a MK6 Golf R based on about half a day of being loaned one, but that's not much help given the MK7 is a different platform and not out yet.

Reviews of the new S3 and M135i are about the closest you're going to get to an opinion for the MK7/235i for now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:21:03 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 12:06:29 pm »
Do you mean a MK7 Golf R vs an old shape 135i Coupe? Or do you mean the new coupe which will be released later next year (called a 235i now BTW).

I've owned an E82 135i coupe and currently have an F20 M135i hatch. I have an opinion on a MK6 Golf R based on about half a day of being loaned one, but that's not much help given the MK7 is a different platform and not out yet.

Reviews of the new S3 and M135i are about the closest you're going to get to an opinion for the MK7/235i for now.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah,I should have made it clear that I'm talking about the current MK6 R and the E82 M135i Coupe.
Having trouble deciding which I would prefer as a next step from my Edition30.

Offline phoenix

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:14:01 pm »
The majorily offset pedals of the 1series would put me off personally, but other than that, what a motor... Stage 1 it's going to eat up a Stage 1 R.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 01:30:36 pm »
I wouldn't say they're that offset, depends how tall you are. Certainly didn't bother me, but I know Deako had trouble with his. Also doesn't matter if you get a Step-Auto or a later 7speed DCT car.

You're never going to get an unbiased opinion on a VAG forum, so whatever I put will be shot down in flames. However.....

The 135i is a better driver's car. I don't think you'll find a single Motoring press review of the car that doesn't score it very highly. Clarkson said at the time it was the best BMW since the E30 M3, 5th Gear had it up against a Cayman and it beat it.

The R is a good car, I'm not going to pretend it isn't. It's more practical, probably quicker point to point in the wet and will do 0-60 faster once mapped. It's handlng and brakes are a weak point, but throwing money at them can get you somewhere decent enough. I can see why people like them.

The 135i with non-runflats and a geo tweak has so much mechanical grip, it'll run rings around the R in the dry. It's capable of much higher power (500hp in N54, 400hp in N55) with nothing more than a map/DP/intake. It's just a beautifully balanced and enjoyable car. Big Brembos out of the box, glorious 6 pot noise and fast enough to make your eyes water.

As with everything, you need to get a good long drive in both and see which suits you best.
Sideways yo!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 09:19:18 pm »
Having had offset pedal based sciatica from a manual 1 series I would never consider one again.

They are very offset. The clutch pedal is basically down the centre of the steering wheel. Accelerator is in the door pocket.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 10:35:01 pm »
Having had offset pedal based sciatica from a manual 1 series I would never consider one again.

They are very offset. The clutch pedal is basically down the centre of the steering wheel. Accelerator is in the door pocket.

are you tall? how long did you have your 1 series for?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 12:15:04 am »
buy an auto, no problem with offset pedals then. But I have not really ever noticed an issue with offset pedals in the 1 series.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 12:24:19 am »
Buy the new 135iM thing, Autocar did a video review against a Mini of it... 315bhp and 0-60 in 4.5 seconds.. map it and that would be 360bhp I reckon.

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 08:25:24 am »
Had mine a year did 25k and never noticed offset pedals, and some cars have given me a bad back but not the 1er.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 03:30:42 pm »
buy an auto, no problem with offset pedals then. But I have not really ever noticed an issue with offset pedals in the 1 series.

dave you are a tall chap so have you ever had problems driving manual beemers?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 03:59:44 pm »
I've never heard about the offset pedal problem before, I have to say. Mine is an auto (DCT), but even the accelerator doesn't appear to be any further over to the right than any VAG cars I have owned..  :confused:

Echo a lot of what Mike says - Golf R is a lovely car and ideal for an all weather, point to point quick car. If you want to have more fun on your journeys though then give the BM a try.

Performance wise the BM is quicker stock for stock - mod for mod. Unless of course you want to compare 0-30mph times..

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 04:08:37 pm »
New Golf R will have 296bhp and 280lbft as stock. Audi are quoting 4.4 to 62 mph for the S3 so I reckon the R will be the same. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 04:14:33 pm »
5.2 manual or 4.9 S-Tronic, no??

S3 seems to be getting a lot of 'meh' reviews too, but then it never did get high praise, despite being a reasonably good car.
Sideways yo!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 04:16:51 pm »

are you tall? how long did you have your 1 series for?

I couldnt put up with it for any more than 2 months, and most of that time it was parked on my drive. It crippled me everytime i got in it for more than 15 minutes.

To say i was gutted about this is an understatement. I loved everything about the 123d. It was a stunning car in every way. If i had never had the problems with back pain, it would be still with me.

I tried to use the foot rest as much as possible, but it was the twisting pivotal movement from the hip to depress the clutch that caused the problems.