Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf R v BMW 135i Coupe  (Read 8237 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Golf R v BMW 135i Coupe
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 04:17:21 pm »
S3 seems to be getting a lot of 'meh' reviews too, but then it never did get high praise, despite being a reasonably good car.

Yeah, I've read quite a few reviews over the past day or so, and they're all absolutely as you would expect them to be; fast, great interior, but ultimately lacking any sparkle. A shame really, because I'd have liked to have read some more positive opinions on the MQB platform.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 04:22:57 pm »
They seem to love it in 2WD format, I don't think the press have ever warmed to Haldex and what it does to the car's feel.

Be interesting to read what they make of AMG's version of Haldex in the A45 AMG.
Sideways yo!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:54:39 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 04:41:48 pm »
Having had offset pedal based sciatica from a manual 1 series I would never consider one again.

They are very offset. The clutch pedal is basically down the centre of the steering wheel. Accelerator is in the door pocket.

are you tall? how long did you have your 1 series for?

I couldnt put up with it for any more than 2 months, and most of that time it was parked on my drive. It crippled me everytime i got in it for more than 15 minutes.

To say i was gutted about this is an understatement. I loved everything about the 123d. It was a stunning car in every way. If i had never had the problems with back pain, it would be still with me.

I tried to use the foot rest as much as possible, but it was the twisting pivotal movement from the hip to depress the clutch that caused the problems.

mmm, i have never driven a BM and am considering a Danza mobile next but a few people have said to me that i might have trouble as am just over 6' 4 and have achilles and knee pain from too much football on hard surfaces, so will have to try them all out but might end up in a DSG R/S3/A45, i wonder what peter crouch drives?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 04:43:37 pm »
http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=118&i=27507

That looks no where near as nice as the current S3 IMO.

So is this the same 2.0TFSi engine with just an ECU tweak?  If so, VAg are being supremely lazy with their engine development.  Id have expected they might have released a 2.0TSI K04 by now.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 04:55:06 pm »
No Sy, it's a new TFSI lump entirely from what I gather. I for one am very eager to find out what it can offer (mod wise).. If it's as tuneable as the old unit and allows an additional 100bhp from bolts-ons, it might compensate for the dull-ish drive..  :driver:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:56:38 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 04:56:49 pm »
It states its a new engine. I'd have one, but still think the Golfs sat nav/media unit is going to be better than Audis offering. Much like the Mk5/8p.

I'd love one. Really like the look of it in white. Stunning imo.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 04:58:16 pm »
I wonder what peter crouch drives?

From what I've read your height doesn't seem to be the problem, people of all heights have suffered sciatica from driving manual BMWs. Luke, you're quite short aren't you?

Like Jamie though, I'd never really heard of it, and I never experienced it on my E46 Coupe, and that was meant to have offset pedals too.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 05:01:12 pm »
I wonder what peter crouch drives?

From what I've read your height doesn't seem to be the problem, people of all heights have suffered sciatica from driving manual BMWs. Luke, you're quite short aren't you?

Like Jamie though, I'd never really heard of it, and I never experienced it on my E46 Coupe, and that was meant to have offset pedals too.

Yeah, absolutely. Its not about the height. You will either suffer or you wont. Im a shortarse it has to be said.