Make a donation

Author Topic: Quaife ATB Diff....  (Read 58362 times)

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 18
  • Seat Leon Cupra Tfsi Its nearly a Golf
    • Email
Re: Quaife ATB Diff....
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 08:55:50 pm »
Yes Amd price is for a manual

Also  new price for a Peloquin diff into a mk2 leon cupra comes out at £1164.70 inc vat from Jabbasport  supply and fit

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 09:06:30 pm »
^^^^
Yes, the Peloquin is known to be slightly cheaper but word on the street is that it's harsher and noisier than the Quaife and so more suitable for a track rather than a road car.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 09:12:11 pm »
^^^^
Yes, the Peloquin is known to be slightly cheaper but word on the street is that it's harsher and noisier than the Quaife and so more suitable for a track rather than a road car.

As far as I understand the Peloquin is an american copy of the ATB diff from Quaife, nothing trick with it.. Go Quaife!  :happy2:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2009, 09:20:27 pm »
Autotech also do their new wavetrac diff. Allegedly better than the Quaife.

A bit of reading for you.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3835523
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 09:22:45 pm »
^^^^
I've heard by word of mouth that the Penguin is an American copy too but I wasn't 100% sure so I haven't said so.

The Quaife is extremely smooth and very fast to respond - Couldn't be better imo.

Ooops! Hurdy has just posted some bedtime reading!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 12:27:33 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2009, 09:32:42 pm »
Autotech also do their new wavetrac diff. Allegedly better than the Quaife.

A bit of reading for you.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3835523

Thats going to act more like a race plate diff, with ramps etc.. There angle is that there diff will always be engaged effectively, meaning that there is never a situation with low torque that you would find yourself spinning up the inside wheel..

The thing is that the whole reason I went for a Quaife diff was that under normal driving you dont have to constantly deal with the car wandering around, constant throttle, or off throttle it acts like an open diff, meaning that its very easy to cruise, ultimately not as fast to react as a plate diff.. but if you want to go with a plate diff do expect to be dealing with the consequences whenever your not on a billiard table smooth surface..

The ATB Quaife diff is certainly a compromise, but I know I would get bored of having a proper race diff in a road car

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2009, 09:50:35 pm »
^^^^
That's very helpful to know, Jonny :happy2:

I've got zero experience of any race plate diff but I certainly appreciate how the Quaife works on uneven surfaces and sudden changes of direction or change of camber, and it feels very reassuring and without any dramas. As a road driver, that's what I think I prefer.

I've now driven 3 different Mk5 GTI's each fitted with the Quaife (2 DSG and 1 Manual) and find the Quaife equally effective in all of them and in a variety of road surface conditions due to weather.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2009, 09:54:12 pm »
^^^^
That's very helpful to know, Jonny :happy2:

I've got zero experience of any race plate diff but I certainly appreciate how the Quaife works on uneven surfaces and sudden changes of direction or change of camber, and it feels very reassuring and without any dramas. As a road driver, that's what I think I prefer.

I've now driven 3 different Mk5 GTI's each fitted with the Quaife (2 DSG and 1 Manual) and find the Quaife equally effective in all of them and in a variety of road surface conditions due to weather.

Dont get me wrong, a plate diff would be miles more effective than the ATB diff round a track, but how often can / do you get any where near the limit on the road

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2009, 09:59:31 pm »
Im getting more and more tempted to get a diff now :evilgrin:. Booking the car in at vwr for sachs clutch and shortshift kit. Think im better going with coilovers before i go for a diff though :confused:.
Are you still getting rid of your coilies jonny? :smiley:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2009, 10:11:14 pm »
Im getting more and more tempted to get a diff now :evilgrin:. Booking the car in at vwr for sachs clutch and shortshift kit. Think im better going with coilovers before i go for a diff though :confused:.
Are you still getting rid of your coilies jonny? :smiley:

I planning on selling them yes, just to get something more suited for track etc..

To be honest mate, the suspension will make more of a difference to how the car feels than the diff. The diff is a fantastic thing to do once your happy with everything else, its just like bolting on a load of grip out of the corners!!

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2009, 10:19:54 pm »
Drop me a text when your thinking of selling the coilies :happy2:
I think the diff will be better for me in the summer, tc took me in his gti and his had kw V2'S, they had a stock like ride and the car handled very well :driver:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2009, 10:22:34 pm »
luca have you seen nobber is sellin his V3's

matt a

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2009, 11:36:11 am »
Thanks for the reply Robin, was just asking as the Quaife's for the mk5 GTI are around $900 in the states.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2009, 12:30:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply Robin, was just asking as the Quaife's for the mk5 GTI are around $900 in the states.

Matt,  they are much the same price in the UK, once you have taken delivery and import duty into account.

matt a

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2009, 12:38:04 pm »
Yeah seemingly so.  :smiley: