Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake pads - general consensus.....?  (Read 4377 times)

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Brake pads - general consensus.....?
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:48:42 pm »
Greetings all,

My Golf found itself drafted in as a stand-in track car today (was much better than I thought it might be), when my track car snapped a wishbone (not ideal at 70mph when hard on the brakes...), with the result the Golf's brakes are somewhat cremated now. Amusingly the VW centre caps melted and fell out in the pits.

Is the general consensus that the best day-2-day pad / disc option is stock VW parts? My car's pads / discs had done 6 years / 52k up until their baptism today, and always seemed fine for the light duty my car sees. Are there any obviously better value options I should be aware of?

Cheers.

Offline phoenix

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Brake pads - general consensus.....?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 12:16:49 am »
I'd say a more track orientated pad like Endless / Carbone Lorraine would do well with the standard disc. :happy2:

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 12:17:38 am »
Any regular road going pad will fade. EBC Redstuff, DS2500, Mintex do some high performance pads as well, as do Pagid and Brembo, I'm sure others will suggest other makes which are fine too! :smiley:
Plenty of pads out there, in conjunction with a good quality performance braking fluid (there is better than OEM fluid out there even though it's fitted to the R8 GT) should see you good for longer stints.  :happy2:

Happy tracking! Center cap thing sounds like a lol.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:31:30 am »
Think beddies on his second set of M1144 which held their own very well at the ring.

The same pad is available in 1155 for a circuit day, think its in 66 too but you'll have no discs left.

DS2500 are a good pad in the right situation but once they go they won't come back to you.

We're project mu in the UK and they have some awesome stuff which ticks every box, road/track/summer/winter/Silverstone/Sainsburys but you can pay up to £1100 inc vat for some of those (not GTI) I would suggest they'd be about £300 for the GTI and they're a 10 week wait.

Expensive fluid goes off at twice the rate of OEM fluid generally, great if you are replacing it after every event and you've got a case of it in your garage. 2 year old OEM fluid will be more capable than 12month old exotic fluid. All the fantastic wet and dry data is for when its new. To make it more capable they remove the stuff that stops it acting like a sponge

If you haven't had fade due fluid there's no real requirement to change it spend it where the works done I.e. pads and maybe an arrangement with two piece discs.

Was speaking to the Mintex Racing rep just yesterday, they've no plans to bring out any new compounds in the near future they reckon the 44/55/66 range ticks all the boxes. The 44s even come in most cases with wear sensors.

I used to worry with lads off on the obligatory ring trip who used to toast the Ds2500 at the ring and then hoof it up the Autobahn with some seriously compromised pads at 140mph plus less worry with the Mintex stuff certainly. DS2500 fast road is a good selection

Offline phoenix

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 09:46:15 am »
What's the best place / price for the M1144s?  Do them defo come with the tulip clip and wear sensor?

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 09:47:00 am »
Think beddies on his second set of M1144 which held their own very well at the ring.

Yeah 2nd set of 1144s, oem plain discs and oem fluid swapped every 12 months, spot on at the ring and held up great at Spa, Oulton and Cadwell too  :happy2:

1155s would be the better performing track pad for the weight/performance of a mkv imo, but I'm more than happy with the 1144s as the give a better compromise for the 360 days of a year the wife is driving the car to and from work etc..

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 01:34:34 pm »
Said it before If I drill a 18" 36" hole in the floor next to my bench I would fall down it into a container of M1144 pad compound and bang my head on the pad presses on the way down.

If they dont come with the tulip clips which Im sure they do I can get em put on

That said I prefer Pagid RS to Mintex Racing for road use, if bedded correctly onto a clean disc they're great. The TT Shop TTRS Track Car with the Hybrid turbo is on M1166 front and rear and Simon just doesnt think twice about brakes and he'll do 300 miles per track day.

The M1144 wear rate can be a little off putting but theyre bloody affordable.

Beddie what was the part number again I always get mixed up....its one of two and the other fits the GTI

How about a group buy on some J Hooked Discs M1144 and 2 litres of superblue, if theres some interest I could do one for GTI and one for R32 discs/pads could do hoses too if anybodys bothered

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 01:47:04 pm »
MDB2677 for the S3 mate  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 02:24:35 pm »
They retail at £123.63 plus VAT for the S3/R32
They retail at 123.63 for the GTI Too....

Now get this M1155 for the GTI only £98.83

Thats plus VAT less discount plus shipping.

I can do better on those prices and much better if somebody wanted to organise a GB

Hoses
M1144/55
J Hook Discs
2 Litres Superblue

Anybody intersted

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 08:34:46 pm »
Thanks for the replies...... however I'm after pads just for road use with towing duties. The Golf being used on track was a one-off, just felt obliged to use it as the track car expired.

Guess I'll just buy some stock parts - they seemed fine and even lasted fine on track for shorter stints.

Dave B - are you able to supply OEM spec Porsche pads at prices to beat an OPC? Slightly off topic.....
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:03:25 pm by alackofspeed »

Offline phoenix

• Taking part
  • Thank You

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 09:54:21 pm »
How much would 2 Litres Superblue cost?

And what difference would it be over OEM fluid?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:56:53 pm by scopes »
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 12:11:39 am »
Would be interested in a group buy for some decent pads for my R32 stoppers.. only worry is there are 2 pad types that fit these calipers.. one set with clips on  both sides and one set with clips on one.. mine have both.

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 10:27:07 am »
Dave, can you still suppky rs4-2 blues for the NQSBBK? I pm'd you the other day but I know how many you get  :signLOL:
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline phoenix

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 02:20:57 pm »
I've got some plain discs (done about 15k) and some drilled/slotted discs (done about 7k) - is it best to get some new discs for new M1144 pads?  Or should either of those discs still have lots of miles left in them?
Will the drilled discs cause even quicker wear of the 44's?