Make a donation

Author Topic: evo 8...talk to me  (Read 4652 times)

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
Re: evo 8...talk to me
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 09:58:24 pm »
Jack aren't you selling your Edition 30 because you can't afford the finance on it?

I think you are seriously under estimating the costs of running an Evo. You really need to look into what you're getting yourself into. On top of servicing, Evo's eat tyres, a clutch will only last a few launches and AYC pumps can go pop at any time.

If I was buying an Evo, this would be the one:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mitsubishi/evo-vii--ix/palma-red-autronic-evo-9-gt-deposit-taken/1261329

no its not an affordability issue its that I no longer want the monthly payment, I would rather know if I lost my job ill still have a car.
I know there not cheap to run but ill be doing less than 10k a year :)

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 10:22:28 pm »
Fair play for being brave enough...
A good mate of mine had an FQ300 '03 plate back in 2005. Had a great tour through Europe with him in that car - as everyone else has said - it attracts a lot of attention.
Awesome sounding car - remember driving it on the autostradas - the way it could just tear up the tarmac was unreal, and on the Stelvio pass it was great fun.

As said - petrol and servicing costs are the main issue. Not sure what insurance is like, but if I were to have one - I'd want a garage, tracker, and to live out in the sticks somewhere..

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 07:47:05 am »
fuel cost's im expecting to be high......its a performance car so its bound to use fuel ane alot of it, you don't buy a fast car if you want good mpg would you say?

maintenance cost's are not too bad its just every 5k which I get my eddie done every 5k anyway. 
4wd system maintenance and stuff I have no idea but im not going to cry over it.
I wonder what my old man will say when its parked next to his impreza!!!!  :signLOL:

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 06:35:11 pm »
Take a look on MLR mate, there's a buyers guide on there which is brilliant. Dealer wise both JPerformance and Xtreme seem good, although you will be paying a premium at both (especially Xtreme). You seem to see more dodgy Evos for sale than any other car.

Make sure you get an 8 MR, they have a better turbo and will easily tune to 400bhp. To get the same results on a non MR requires a turbo change.

What car have you spotted?

Offline M7AXB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 08:29:41 pm »
Ive got a Evo 8 mr fq340.

I wouldn't think about it unless you have deep pockets as there are not cheap to run.

Servicing is every 4500k or 6months and is strict.

Servicing is from £200 to £650 depending on what needs done.

Brake discs and pads, tyres and clutches are to be taken into account aswell.

Reliability is good as long as its well looked after. Mines has been fine except warped discs and the notchy gearbox when cold.

The AYC pump is very common to fail and is expensive! The gearbox and transfer box is also prone to failing especially the 6 speed when launching and driving hard.

Rust is also a problem as with all jap cars - mines needs an arch re-done and its only an 05 plate with 49k!

I'm looking to sell mines soon as i hate worrying about it going wrong so fancy a focus rs mk2 or a hatchback sti.

Dont get me wrong its been a fantastic car but, again buy one with your eyes open and dont skimp on servicing and parts or it can ruin the experience. If i was getting another which i will in the future it would be a 8 mr rs or a 9gt due to the stronger 5speed box and rs rear diff.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 09:29:52 am »
^^^^ what he said. I worked for Mitsubishi and as said above deep pockets needed I remember getting one in with a noisy rear diff well it was knackered and it had damage the prop shaft too  :scared: guy shat his pants when we told him the price for it doing. So eyes wide open before buying one and make sure it's been crazy looked after

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Saintsteve

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 09:33:01 am »
^^^^ what he said. I worked for Mitsubishi and as said above deep pockets needed I remember getting one in with a noisy rear diff well it was knackered and it had damage the prop shaft too  :scared: guy shat his pants when we told him the price for it doing. So eyes wide open before buying one and make sure it's been crazy looked after

See I'm not the only one thinks your mad jack  :grin:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 09:37:26 am »
As a toy to abuse on a weekend they are great fun and once fettled are crazy on the back roads  :driver: the fq400 is a hoot but when not on boost is just slow  :signLOL: the evo 6 mac is what I would buy simply stunning and has a very strong following

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 09:41:25 am »

See I'm not the only one thinks your mad jack  :grin:
:signLOL: I am mad

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 09:42:25 am »
so are diffs and gear boxes common then? I can see that people that launch them destroy them  :scared:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 11:23:22 am »
It's a 4wd rallye car mate that people either look after or don't so buy wise

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 11:42:30 am »
It's a 4wd rallye car mate that people either look after or don't so buy wise

good point, need to find one that's owned by a old chap really!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 11:47:20 am »
No just look around it and check history see how lovingly the owner talks about it if buying private but if buying trade then check history and paper work and get warranty with it if you can. They are great cars and also check panel gaps and under Neath for any signs of damage as they might have been smashed as we had loads in that you could clearly tell had been on a jig and pulls straight due to people thinking they were a rally driver

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 11:49:41 am »
No just look around it and check history see how lovingly the owner talks about it if buying private but if buying trade then check history and paper work and get warranty with it if you can. They are great cars and also check panel gaps and under Neath for any signs of damage as they might have been smashed as we had loads in that you could clearly tell had been on a jig and pulls straight due to people thinking they were a rally driver
intention is to buy one thats done about 30k from a member on the MLR forum, I don't like buying trade.

whats your veiw on them against my stage 2+ eddie? 400bhp evo that is? I suppose there lighter than the golf...

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51:47 am »
If I had to scratch my Evo itch it would have to be with one of these!  :love:

http://www.paulbrowncars.co.uk/car_Mitsubishi-EVO-6-TOMMI-MAKENIN_82__index.php