Make a donation

Author Topic: Headlight restoration  (Read 1884 times)

Offline petemcr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Headlight restoration
« on: April 17, 2013, 07:19:29 pm »
So

I read a topic on here about wet sanding to restore your headlights and thought to hell with it, I will give it a go

This is the before shot, you can't see it too well but the passengers headlight was a mess and the drivers looked pretty good

So I went at it, 1500 to start, then worked out all the marks from the 1500 using 2000 and went on to finish with some of that Plast-X and a bit of polish/wax, got to say massively impressed with out they've come out, just the drivers look a bit tosh now in comparison so I need to do that one this weekend

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
Re: Headlight restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:45:43 am »
Not a bad job, I used the 3M kit the other week that i got a while ago and was stunned with the results, easy quick and all for a tenner.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:58:01 am »
Have you put some uv protector on afterwards as you'll need to.
http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c4-permanent-trim-restorer/

Offline Tomm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:13:38 pm »
hey guys, what would use say is the best for headlight restoration. i have some little surface scratches i would like to get rid of too?

thanks

Offline petemcr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:06:39 pm »
Voorhees, I've not used any sealant but I could do with going over again with the 2000 grit so I might do it after

Offline petemcr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 11:07:33 pm »
Best way to do it Tomm is off the guide on here, just take your time and keep the surface damp or you might end up adding some scratches

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 07:09:17 am »
I would strongly recommend the 3M kit very, very easy, quick, stunning results and worth every penny, I only paid a tenner for mine but would happily pay full price having used it.

http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/p-2639-3m-headlight-restoration-kit.aspx

Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline Tomm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:51:48 pm »
I would strongly recommend the 3M kit very, very easy, quick, stunning results and worth every penny, I only paid a tenner for mine but would happily pay full price having used it.

http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/p-2639-3m-headlight-restoration-kit.aspx

sounds good! would i need to put that uv protection thing on to ? or just use the 3m kit and thats me ?
bit confused

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 02:42:11 pm »
There's a polishing compound with the kit then I just added a couple of coats of Auto Glym glass polish and that seems to have done the job but I'm sure some of the Gtechniq stuff will also do.

Offline Tomm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 12:39:43 am »
There's a polishing compound with the kit then I just added a couple of coats of Auto Glym glass polish and that seems to have done the job but I'm sure some of the Gtechniq stuff will also do.

what is the uv protector stuff meant to do :S
if i just got the kit would that do everything i need done to the headlights?

thanks

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 07:06:21 am »
You need some UV protection otherwise you will have the light dulling and going yellow,saying that in England the amount of friggin sun we had last year I am surprised any is needed  :laugh: