Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit Lux Pack - Possible?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline bigalmckenzie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Retrofit Lux Pack - Possible?
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:00:42 pm »
Hi,

Apologies firstly if I've started this thread in the wrong place ...

I'm thinking of buying an 08 58 car which has all the spec I want except for the lux pack - which I understand to be electrically folding mirrors, dipping near side mirror when reverse is engaged and puddle lights.

I know some people say they're not worth it for whatever reason but ideally I 'd like to have it. 

How easy is it to find the parts and have them fitted? 

Does anyone know where I could get the part numbers and who could fit them?

What would it cost?

I'm in Glasgow but could travel if necessary.

Thanks.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Retrofit Lux Pack - Possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 09:15:58 pm »
Try PMing golfman on here.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »
I managed to get some new mirrors that have the abilty to fold off ebay. Its the door controllers that are a nightmare to get hold of as they are super-seeded a gazillion times and you need very specific ones depending on how many doors and what year your car is. The new controllers can be £400ish for a pair

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13435.0.html   <-- Have a read and try to get your head around it

http://www.r32oc.com/topic/40320-information-on-fitting-folding-mirrors/   <-- Possible part numbers to look out for

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline bigalmckenzie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 09:54:00 am »
Hmm ... this isn't sounding too straightforward.  Seems like it's very difficult to get the parts and it might all be too expensive.  I'd still like to do it though ...

My other option is to go for a car with the lux pack.  I've found one but it doesn't have the front centre armrest which is also a must.  How would that job compare to the fitting of the lux pack in terms of cost and accessibility of parts?  I would want the rear vents connected, an empty area under the armrest and the sliding cover just ahead of it.  Could anyone advise what I'd need, where I'd get the parts, who could do it and how much it might cost?

Thanks again. 

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55:52 am »
armrest is cheaper and easier to retrofit than the luxpack
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline bigalmckenzie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:04:48 pm »
... Can puddle lights be programmed to come on in a car without a lux pack?  And similarly, can coming home lights be programmed to come on or does that depend on spec?

Thanks.

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:58:53 pm »
Iv got puddle lights on my mirrors with my standard door controllers. Tried the coding and it accepted them

Offline bigalmckenzie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 07:43:35 pm »
Okay - it's crunch time for me.  I need to decide which is the lesser of two evils - buying a car that requires an armrest fitted or one that needs the lux pack fitted - aside from all the other usual factors of mileage, condition price etc.  (Basically I'm looking at two cars - one is minus the armrest, the other is minus the lux pack at present and I would want these retrofitted).

I think I'm pretty clear that an armrest is simpler and cheaper but I'm still a bit unclear about what's involved with fittng the lux pack.  Is there anyone out there who could tell me exactly what I needed, where I'd get the parts, where I could get the job done, (ideally near Glasgow but can travel), and, crucially, what it would cost.

If it helps the car without the lux pack is an 08 58 5 door with no rear parking sensors - am I right in thinking the sensors are somehow related to lux pack?!

Really appreciate any advice and information.

Thanks.

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 08:22:28 pm »
Electric folding mirrors including puddles - £200ish. Ebay or on here
Door controllers - £200-£400 new. Less for used, IF you can find them. VW or EBAY or on here

Golfman who is scotland way could fit them or do them yourself.

http://www.my-gti.com/2158/volkswagen-golf-jetta-door-controller-information-mark-v

http://www.r32oc.com/topic/40320-information-on-fitting-folding-mirrors/

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13435.0.html

Have a read, prepared to be very confused. And mirror dip may or may not be possible.

Armrest is a million miles easier to fit and get hold of

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 07:20:46 pm »
Okay - it's crunch time for me.  I need to decide which is the lesser of two evils - buying a car that requires an armrest fitted or one that needs the lux pack fitted - aside from all the other usual factors of mileage, condition price etc.  (Basically I'm looking at two cars - one is minus the armrest, the other is minus the lux pack at present and I would want these retrofitted).

I think I'm pretty clear that an armrest is simpler and cheaper but I'm still a bit unclear about what's involved with fittng the lux pack.  Is there anyone out there who could tell me exactly what I needed, where I'd get the parts, where I could get the job done, (ideally near Glasgow but can travel), and, crucially, what it would cost.

If it helps the car without the lux pack is an 08 58 5 door with no rear parking sensors - am I right in thinking the sensors are somehow related to lux pack?!

Really appreciate any advice and information.

Thanks.

The armrest is a far easier and cheaper option of the two. The armrests pop up for sale in the for sale threads all the time and as already explained to you the lux pack is far more difficult to fit and obtain all the parts. TBH the mirrors do not fold in as much as you'd think they should. I'd advised looking at a car with the lux pack fitted and see if you think it'd be worth spending  all that money for that mod. It's a no brainer really. The Lux pack has nothing to do with reverse sensors. They were a completely separate option on the MKV. Reverse sensors can also be retrofitted if the car you buy doesn't have them fitted.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 05:02:00 pm »
Just thought I'd mention that if the car has factory fitted rear sensors it will have the reverse dip mirror also, as mine does (I don't have the lux pack).

Regarding the choice go for the car with the lux pack fitted. As mentioned the armrest will be much easier/cheaper to source and fit.

Don't think you are but try not to get too hung up on the options, the condition of the motor and service history are much more important.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:06:15 pm by Kalpsn2000 »
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 07:59:03 am »
Just thought I'd mention that if the car has factory fitted rear sensors it will have the reverse dip mirror also, as mine does (I don't have the lux pack).

This is only true with MY07 cars and later. My 06 car has the reverse sensors but no reverse mirror dip.   :sad1:

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 08:46:49 am »

This is only true with MY07 cars and later. My 06 car has the reverse sensors but no reverse mirror dip.   :sad1:

Just be aware that most of the Golf's in the UK with rear parking sensors are not actually factory fitted. They were fitted at dealers using an after market system by Cobra. you can tell if it's factory fitted by scanning with VCDS, if it's factory fitted, there will be a module that you can code. I would hazard a guess that yours is after market.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 03:21:37 pm »
I would hazard a guess that yours is after market.

Nope, mine came factory fitted and has an address when scanned with vcds.   :smiley:

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 03:34:05 pm »
I would hazard a guess that yours is after market.

Nope, mine came factory fitted and has an address when scanned with vcds.   :smiley:

Cool, then I stand corrected. So then it must be 2007 onwards had that then as you say. I know my car has it, but it is infuriating as it never puts the mirror back to exactly where it was before so after every 4th time, I need to readjust the mirror, lol.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members