Make a donation

Author Topic: knackered outer cv boot, options?  (Read 530 times)

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
knackered outer cv boot, options?
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:08:02 pm »
My drivers side outer cv boot has torn and im just weighing up my options.
Do i replace the boot with a cheap stretchy one, split the cv joint and fit a proper boot, or just get a used low mileage driveshaft and simply replace?
My car is dsg does it have the same shafts as manual? and if i was to remove the whole driveshaft from the gearbox would it leak gearbox oil? cheers

Offline cleanme

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: knackered outer cv boot, options?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:13:26 pm »
I know this sounds a little mad, but can you re-pack with grease and use a puncture repair on it making sure the clip is on?  As long as it hasn't been too long you may get away with it...

Offline woky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:41:04 pm »
if its the same as a manual, just change the boot, I changed mine about 7 months ago with a £6 universal one, and its been fine ever since, took about an hr to do

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:17:07 pm »
Do it cheap, do it twice.

The part is cheap. Most places will charge 35 to 40 to change it. I did mine for £8 but found it a real nigmare to do.
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights