Make a donation

Author Topic: iPod dock compatibility GTI Ed30  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Snaggletooth

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
iPod dock compatibility GTI Ed30
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:50:13 am »
Hi all, I am new to this forum, and am looking for some help.  I have just bought myself an 07 Edition 30 GTI, and very nice it is.  However I need to get some tunes on the go, the 6 disc CD changer is so 1990's and doesn't support MP3 discs so am looking into using this iPod dock in the armrest.  I have never owned an Apple product, but am thinking of buying a 100GB+ iPod just to dock in the armrest and hopefully just leave it there.

I have a few questions though....I have made a search and googled it, but I'm not finding the right answers.

1) Are all iPod's compatible, even the newest ones?  Or is there a particular model I need to look for 2nd hand?
2) Does the dock charge the ipod too?  Am I able to just leave it there permanently?
3) Can I control the iPod and select tracks/playlists/albums from the head unit?  The head unit is the RDS500 I believe.
4) Is there anything else I need to be aware of, or any tips.

Many thanks for any help!
Dan.

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: iPod dock compatibility GTI Ed30
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:49:47 pm »
They're all compatible mate, just some of them don't charge iPhones or the newer iPod touches.
You only need to change the cable, or you can just buy a new Connects2 or XCarLink box from Ebay or the web for around £80.

For example I had the VW aftermarket one that I've routed into my glovebox. After about 18 months the cable called it quits and decided to not work. I bought a new Connects2 box from Ebay.
I decided against swapping the whole system out and instead decided to just use the cable I got from the Connects2 bag and plug that into the control unit instead.

Now my iPhone charges.  :happy2:

I would remove the arm rest one as it's just a PITA and put it through into the glovebox. There's even a little shelf which with some sticky-back Velcro, and a Velcro tab on the back of your iPod, you can leave it there out of the way and it won't rattle about or get in the way.

Offline Snaggletooth

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 08:45:04 am »
@XJAY1337.  Thanks for your reply!  You say below "some of them don't charge iPhones or the newer iPod touches."  So does that mean that it will charge some iPods?  Or will it not do that for any of them.

If I have to route it through to my glove box, I may as well stick with my Galaxy S2, as I have around 48GB on that which I could live with to save me forking out for another device.  But I suspect I won't be able to control the player from the head unit if I do that.  Am I right in saying that if I go the iPod route I can control my music from the head unit?

Now that I think about it, another option would be to get bluetooth installed into the car and run my Galaxy to the headunit with Bluetooth...  again, not sure if this is possible via the head unit.

What I am trying to achieve is to get my MP3's playing inside the car and controlled by the head unit inside the car.

Sorry for the noob questions....

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 08:49:17 am »
No you can't bluetooth through the standard headunit. Only if you have the RCD510 or RNS510 I think. All the standard iPods, as by exclusion of my previous comment, will be charged. And some don't charge iPhones or iPod touches.

Just stick with the iPod cable as I explained and you will be able to control things through your headunit.

Offline Snaggletooth

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:35:50 am »
So the iPod dock in the arm rest does not let me control the head unit then?  If the iPod dock is there and it can charge an iPod, why wouldn't I just use that?  Or am I missing something here?  I understand what you are saying about the cable in the glove box, but what is the advantage of that over the standard armrest dock (if it can charge the iPod, that is..).

Again....many noob questions, and thanks for your patience, I am just trying to figure out the best solution for me, and if there is a usable dock I may as well use it.....  or not?  lol, I really dunno..

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 10:47:50 am »
No, it does let it be controlled by the head unit.
You can use that, for iPods (old style ones only). An iPhone or iPod touch will not fit and will not charge. So if you ever want to have a mate plug in their iPhone or if you use one yourself in the future they you're kind of stuck.

If you understand, then that's the advantage? I find it easier to have it in my glovebox on a personal level. You might not want that.

Offline Snaggletooth

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:48:17 am »
OK, so with the old style iPod it will dock in the armrest and charge, and presumably feed audio to the head unit.  But the head unit won't control it?  So how do I change tracks?  Or do I just setup a playlist and play it before setting off?

There is no risk of me needing to plug in an iphone or another ipod.  I am literally going to buy an iPod just for this job and leave it there, I won't be plugging in anything else.  So really then, I guess its back to my original question.  If an old iPod will dock and charge, is there a particular model I need.  You say the "older models" but how do I know which ones?  Or shall I play it safe and get a model from 2007 when the car was built?

Thanks again for your help, I can see you are making a lot of effort to try and explain it to me :)  Me and technology = disaster ha ha.

Dan.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:32:33 pm »
No, as I explained mate, you will be able to control the iPod with the headunit..

Like these on the right (not the touch screen ones)