Make a donation

Author Topic: any one fixed this issue???  (Read 1253 times)

Offline ginge 0116

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • The kings cross hotel blackpool
    • Email
any one fixed this issue???
« on: April 18, 2013, 05:12:09 pm »
Hi all got a gti axx engine code and have a issue when it gets up to temps. It starts to tap on the right hand side of engine, have looked in to it alot online and seems that alot of people experiencing this issue have the cam chain and tennisioner replaced. Just wondering if any of you on here have had the same issue, had the work done and if it fixed the   problem?? Thanks sam

Offline gjseb16

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: any one fixed this issue???
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:43:35 pm »
hi mate mine is in for this current issue as we speak seem to be prone on axx engine i dont think i am going to be getting any change out of a £1000 pound mate sorry to bearer of bad news if you want it fixing i belive it is the adjuster that cuase the problem

Type_R

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 08:26:24 am »
This might not be related but there was an issue on the MK5 where the fuel lines under the car would hit the underside making a fairly loud tapping noise. Its a fairly easy fix by putting some insulation in between the car and the fuel lines.

Check out the DIY, it's worth ruling out!

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18277

Offline matmk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
    • Derpage - Urban Exploration Photography
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,112764.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 05:10:57 pm »
Its the cam chain, tensioner and probably adjuster mate.  Just got mine back today.

Updated my thread but this is basicly how it panned out for me:

I had a week left on the 30 day warranty I got with the dealer (Autoworld at Chesterfield) so called back there before booking it into an indy to get sorted.  I went in armed with the assessment the Indy had given me (likely the cam chain, tensioner and adjuster need changing), printed a schematic drawing of the engine showing the three parts and highlighted them and wrote a detailed description of the fault.

Dealer asked me to drop the car in so they could have a listen and to my utter amazement said 'yep, dont think it should sound like that, we'll get you booked in an sort it'.  I have to say, I absolutely expected 'they all sound like that mate... tata'.

Dropped it in to them on Wednesday, got a call the same afternoon to say they had ordered all three parts, then got a call this afternoon to say it was all done.  Have to say, even at this point I was not expecting it to be sorted although I had a little faith due to them being a franchised Seat dealer and workshop.

Picked it up and OH MY GOD! Its like a new car, absolutely silent on tickover, feels tighter and sounds wonderful... the TDi effect is completely gone, cant express how good it feelt pulling into the petrol station and no one shouting that I was putting petrol in a diesel lol!! 

They have indeed replaced all three parts just to be sure, Cam chain £90 Gasket £30, Tensioner £80, Cylinder Head Gasket £40 Cam chain Adjuster £300 and about £350 of labour so about £850 in all, all covered under the basic warranty.  I was told if it had been left there was enough slack in the chain that it would have evntualy either snapped or jumped taking the engine with it.

So, massive respect to Autoworld and the helpful staff there... no quibbling or arguing, just sorted it quickly and got me back on the road,  and if your GTi sounds like a TDi, its and expensive fix but well worth it.
My Urban exploration photography website www.derpage.com

Offline ginge 0116

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • The kings cross hotel blackpool
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 04:52:31 pm »
Thanks for your replies looks like i better start saving!!!! :happy2:

Offline andygo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 06:32:58 pm »
How do you check out the tensioner and cam chain prior to a diy fix? Do you mean cam belt?

Offline gjseb16

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 08:13:31 pm »
hi there mate

to be honest only way to to is to get the car up to temprature and listen for a knocking sound on the right hand side of engine you will here trust me its a distictif knocking but people have told me in can go on for ages and people only have done becuase the engine sounds like a diesel