Make a donation

Author Topic: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09  (Read 92223 times)

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
Re: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2009, 10:00:49 am »
£265+VAT is pretty much (£295+VAT)-10% ;)
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2009, 10:39:32 am »
Here is a pic of the HKS mushroom

Dubtek - id love to hear a sound clip of this- if it sound anything like it does on the evo and gave performance gains such as Forge etc id be very tempted!!

Offline joesgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2009, 10:44:29 am »

ahaaa, cheers coco,  :ashamed:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2009, 10:57:10 am »

ahaaa, cheers coco,  :ashamed:

....Yes, thanks, coco :happy2:

I have since edited my post about prices to explain that the £265 is the JKM 10% discounted price.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2009, 11:06:47 am »

I was under the impression that with a stage 1 remap on the EA888 engine they had to be careful with the fuel settings as when accelerating under full load up a hill in say 5th gear you could get DTC's if the map was tuned too aggressively (lean fuel on bank XXX - apologies forget the exact error code). This was irrespective of any other mods.

The stage 1 map was still constrained by the limits of the pump in places. However, due to the efforts made to accommodate this in the mapping you did not need a pump for stage 1, even with a filter etc....

I had pump internals put in with stage 1 and TBH it felt very little different as the map was still compensating. Once stage 2+ map went on it was quite a difference to upper band torque. However for stage 1 I wouldn't even bother.

....Perhaps I should edit my post to state I'm referring to Stage2 in conjunction with a high flow tubular style intake.

It seems relatively unusual to go straight from Stage1 to 2+. Most people hang out with Stage2 before 2+.

My understanding is that it's the boost settings you would need to reduce in the absence of a HPFP but with an aftermarket high flow intake, but I am a bit out of my depth.

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2009, 11:12:00 am »

Dubtek - id love to hear a sound clip of this- if it sound anything like it does on the evo and gave performance gains such as Forge etc id be very tempted!!

....Something tells me I've gotta arrange to hear Dubtek Ben's HKS! Sound clips never do a sound justice.

But doesn't it suck up relatively hot air from within the engine bay?

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2009, 11:22:51 am »

....Something tells me I've gotta arrange to hear Dubtek Ben's HKS! Sound clips never do a sound justice.

I know they are totally different cars but the noise these make on my friends evos, liners and a honda accord is amazing!!
I agree sound clips wont do it justice but may give some indication :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2009, 12:19:08 pm »

surely that would depend on where the placement of the mushroom is. if its right down behind the light module you will get the cold air coming in from the bumper i would have thought. some ITG fire proof foam might be a good mod for it

Offline warren_cox

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2009, 12:31:10 pm »

My understanding is that it's the boost settings you would need to reduce in the absence of a HPFP but with an aftermarket high flow intake, but I am a bit out of my depth.

:happy2:

Likewise i don't feel qualified to elaborate. I'm sure Kev, Carl or Nick at Revo could explain, but when my car was being used to get stage 1 rolling I remember them having to work with the fuelling parameters to stop the car throwing DTC's.
Audi S3 (8P)

Mods: Revo Stg 2+, KMD HPFP, ITG CAI, NGK Iridiums, Rev D DV, 19" RS4 wheels, PIAA bulbs

Offline Dubtek

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2009, 01:28:57 pm »
I'll try and get some pics/videos sorted over the weekend. It is a superb piece of kit, but me being me, am making a few changes to it....I'm having a carbon heatshield made like the one used on the BSH true seal kit, but a damn sight lighter than their steel one! I'm also rotating the mushroom towards the original air intake vent behind the grille. At the moment it points towards the n/s/f corner.

My final mod may be to wrap it in something to prevent heat soak, but i'm not convinced it suffers anymore than the other systems on the market, and it will kind of ruin the look of the whole thing. 

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2009, 01:43:05 pm »

surely that would depend on where the placement of the mushroom is. if its right down behind the light module you will get the cold air coming in from the bumper i would have thought. some ITG fire proof foam might be a good mod for it

....I'd be inclined to leave the mushroom where it is shown, presumably clear of the headlight module, but to run a flexi hose duct up from the foglight panel (easy in mine as I'd just cut a hole in the carbonfibre and finish with an off-the-shelf rampipe end) and let the air flow towards the mushroom without any sealed attachment to it.

I would consider doing this to an ITG intake too.

Hmmm.... I wonder how it might effect performance.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2009, 01:47:13 pm »

I'm also rotating the mushroom towards the original air intake vent behind the grille. At the moment it points towards the n/s/f corner.

....I'm told that over about 70mph the airflow mostly goes over the bonnet and not much through the oem vent.

But I haven't seen any hard evidence.

Offline warren_cox

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2009, 05:02:56 pm »

....I'm told that over about 70mph the airflow mostly goes over the bonnet and not much through the oem vent.

Andy at ITG was saying something along these lines too. Supposedly it was one of the reasons why my Carbonia intake was struggling at higher rpm's / speeds post stage 2+.
Audi S3 (8P)

Mods: Revo Stg 2+, KMD HPFP, ITG CAI, NGK Iridiums, Rev D DV, 19" RS4 wheels, PIAA bulbs

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2009, 05:28:48 pm »
I was under the impression that with a stage 1 remap on the EA888 engine they had to be careful with the fuel settings as when accelerating under full load up a hill in say 5th gear you could get DTC's if the map was tuned too aggressively (lean fuel on bank XXX - apologies forget the exact error code). This was irrespective of any other mods.

The stage 1 map was still constrained by the limits of the pump in places. However, due to the efforts made to accommodate this in the mapping you did not need a pump for stage 1, even with a filter etc....

I had pump internals put in with stage 1 and TBH it felt very little different as the map was still compensating. Once stage 2+ map went on it was quite a difference to upper band torque. However for stage 1 I wouldn't even bother.

We have EA138 engines not EA888. EA888's as far as im aware as fitted in the mk6 gti have upgraded fuel pumps compared to the ones we have in our cars.

EA888's k03's remap straight to 275hp because of this.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2009, 05:33:34 pm »

Andy at ITG was saying something along these lines too. Supposedly it was one of the reasons why my Carbonia intake was struggling at higher rpm's / speeds post stage 2+.

....My GTI 2.0T FSI K03 is running Revo2 (not 2+) with a Carbonio plus ITG panel filter but not struggling anywhere, except of course at around 130 plus.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:35:35 pm by RedRobin »