Make a donation

Author Topic: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09  (Read 92227 times)

Offline joesgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
Re: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2009, 05:53:19 pm »
I was under the impression that with a stage 1 remap on the EA888 engine they had to be careful with the fuel settings as when accelerating under full load up a hill in say 5th gear you could get DTC's if the map was tuned too aggressively (lean fuel on bank XXX - apologies forget the exact error code). This was irrespective of any other mods.

The stage 1 map was still constrained by the limits of the pump in places. However, due to the efforts made to accommodate this in the mapping you did not need a pump for stage 1, even with a filter etc....

I had pump internals put in with stage 1 and TBH it felt very little different as the map was still compensating. Once stage 2+ map went on it was quite a difference to upper band torque. However for stage 1 I wouldn't even bother.

We have EA138 engines not EA888. EA888's as far as im aware as fitted in the mk6 gti have upgraded fuel pumps compared to the ones we have in our cars.

EA888's k03's remap straight to 275hp because of this.

Really!!?

So there is an OEM fuel pump that is an upgrade for KO3 cars?  :confused:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2009, 06:01:57 pm »
The Mk6 pump is different to the Mk5 one...

It's driven by four lobes vs 3 on the Mk5 hence the better fuel output.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2009, 06:14:08 pm »

The Mk6 pump is different to the Mk5 one...

It's driven by four lobes vs 3 on the Mk5 hence the better fuel output.

....I'm sure I'm not the only one now wondering if the Mk6 pump will work on the Mk5.

However, the intrinsic performance of a fuel pump is critical to the well-being of the FSI engine - Tolerances are super-critical. Mostly why I would favour the APR HPFP over KMD etc.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2009, 06:20:20 pm »
I was under the impression that with a stage 1 remap on the EA888 engine they had to be careful with the fuel settings as when accelerating under full load up a hill in say 5th gear you could get DTC's if the map was tuned too aggressively (lean fuel on bank XXX - apologies forget the exact error code). This was irrespective of any other mods.

The stage 1 map was still constrained by the limits of the pump in places. However, due to the efforts made to accommodate this in the mapping you did not need a pump for stage 1, even with a filter etc....

I had pump internals put in with stage 1 and TBH it felt very little different as the map was still compensating. Once stage 2+ map went on it was quite a difference to upper band torque. However for stage 1 I wouldn't even bother.

We have EA138 engines not EA888. EA888's as far as im aware as fitted in the mk6 gti have upgraded fuel pumps compared to the ones we have in our cars.

EA888's k03's remap straight to 275hp because of this.

Really!!?

So there is an OEM fuel pump that is an upgrade for KO3 cars?  :confused:

The fuel pump on the EA138 is camshaft driven, whilst the EA888 is chain driven iirc.So not sure whether its able to be retrofitted/upgraded. However apparently the new leon cupra R will have a upgraded fuel pump over the standard cupras, s3's etc so we might be able to utilise that in the future as, as far as im aware all future K04 2.0T will still be using the EA138 architecture instead of the EA888 one. VW cite tuneability as their reasoning behind this but I think they are bluffing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2009, 06:42:38 pm »

VW cite tuneability as their reasoning behind this but I think they are bluffing.

....Since when did VW design and manufacture things for ease of tuning?

Or is it for their ease of tuning the engine so it can be installed in different variants in the VAG range?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2009, 07:34:06 pm »
apparently the new leon cupra R will have a upgraded fuel pump over the standard cupras {/quote]

Does this mean that it will have the newer TSI version engine?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2009, 01:33:08 am »
apparently the new leon cupra R will have a upgraded fuel pump over the standard cupras

Does this mean that it will have the newer TSI version engine?

Only going by my sources here, but no it should retain the EA118 architecture with the cam driven fuel pump.

Offline Dubtek

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2009, 03:05:25 pm »
Some pictures of my currently very mucky engine bay, but showing the HKS kit:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2009, 03:38:08 pm »
^^^^
:laugh: Looks like a horse's limp penis! :laugh:

Very impressive though! What about heat on that pipe?

Looks like the pipe tapers towards the MAF too.

Thanks for posting a pic :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2009, 06:44:55 pm »
what a strange place to run the piping, that s the only intake ive seen that goes over the top. Id say that could do with a bit of heat rap, plus i reckon it could have done with going furehr towards the headlamp

Offline Dubtek

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2009, 07:07:30 pm »
I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on all these systems, but I dont think many people have definative answers as to their real weaknesses. 

All I'll say is that the likes of Forge and definately, if not more so HKS, do a massive amount of R&D into these products before they go to market, and they certainly dont sell £475 intake systems which dont cut the mustard. HKS especially, were founded by racing engineers, and I've no doubt they'd be mortified to be selling inferior products.

The pipework on my HKS system is extremely thick in comparison to the BSH system and has an extremely different filter to the likes of a K&N design, anyone who's had a HKS 'mushroom' on another car will know what I mean  :grin:

As I've said there's improvements I personally may make to the system, but I do question whether if they were of any benefit the manufacturer wouldnt have already combatted these issues before it left the factory.

Its a never ending debate but this thread has made me very keen to do the test on various different kits with stock and modded cars, so I'll happily take the lead on it and maybe speak to a magazine and see if they'll support us and feature it? We would just need a few cars and a techy with a laptop to do the logging....sure we can sort that though, and pretty sure the manufactuters would support such a test.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2009, 07:20:40 pm »

looks to me like HKS have tried to smooth the 90 degree bends that every other intake has. Its a case of which is worse in IMO, smooth the bends out and risk some heat soak, or avoid the engine and have the sharp bends. Which gives the best results is open to debate :smiley:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #147 on: September 05, 2009, 07:32:20 pm »
to be  fair its nothing some reflective tape wouldnt solve. i quite like it

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #148 on: September 05, 2009, 08:51:58 pm »

looks to me like HKS have tried to smooth the 90 degree bends that every other intake has. Its a case of which is worse in IMO, smooth the bends out and risk some heat soak, or avoid the engine and have the sharp bends. Which gives the best results is open to debate :smiley:

dubtek, is yours a KO3? im very very interested in that system!!

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #149 on: September 05, 2009, 09:01:54 pm »
looks to me to  be k03, cant see the relocated DV upfront there